B 171

V @100C 8.2
ST 0
Oxi 8
Sul 19
Nit 6
W N
A N

This is factory fill which was presumably 10W-30 Honda GN4 oil which is Honda's recommended oil for this engine. Honda recommends changing the oil/filter initially at 600 miles. Thereafter, 8kmi intervals. The only thing noteworthy that I spot is that it has sheared out of grade.

Last edited:
The additive numbers make me think it's basically a newer oil with slightly elevated ZDDP and detergents.. nothing special. Your wear numbers look about average for most factory fill analyses.

As for the grade -- I'm starting to think that the engineers spec a thicker weight on purpose with the knowledge that it'll shear down by the time you change the oil. Seems like Honda has no concerns about engineering their bikes around thinner oils.

Honda's GN4 oil is reasonably low quality is all. ;-)

OP, I expect that your CBR will run well and last a long time. I don't personally care for Honda GN4 oil, at least for the price they want, but lots of bikes run on it and seem to be okay.

Honda is fairly generous in its oil recommendations. They say pretty much any SN oil will do as long as it's 10w-30 and non energy-conserving or resource-conserving. I'm using Chevron Delo 400 10w-30 XLE in it now. This is a multi-fleet oil that meets SN and a number of diesel designations also. I noticed a distinct improvement in shifting after the switch.

vanadium ??? really?

barium?

that much manganese?

ummmmm, where is the unobtanium?

and a CsT of 8.2 is....well close to water its 20wt

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
Honda's GN4 oil is reasonably low quality is all. ;-)

OP, I expect that your CBR will run well and last a long time. I don't personally care for Honda GN4 oil, at least for the price they want, but lots of bikes run on it and seem to be okay.

They didn't test well years ago .

Originally Posted by sunruh
vanadium ??? really?

barium?

that much manganese?

Has anything that shows up less than 10 every been significant enough to confidently say it's real foreign substance in the crankcase? (apart from silicon)
I always assumed it was just noise

Originally Posted by Brian553
Originally Posted by sunruh
vanadium ??? really?

barium?

that much manganese?

Has anything that shows up less than 10 every been significant enough to confidently say it's real foreign substance in the crankcase? (apart from silicon)
I always assumed it was just noise

in my own personal testing, the 1st time that Ti showed up, i pulled the head to find the Ti valves tuliping. the value was 2

now, usually, yes its just scatter noise. which means its not been calibrated very well. or is just a poor unit to begin with.
which means only 1 thing: are your test results worth a darn?

so does the value mean anything? it all depends on if you want to believe your results.
if you do believe them, then you need to investigate it.
if you do not believe them, why do the test?

Interesting to see ZN/P levels inverse of what you normally would find. Who knows what other phosphorous additive might be used?

Originally Posted by Jay
The only thing noteworthy that I spot is that it has sheared out of grade.

Sheared out of grade in 760 miles ... Wow. Wonder if it was some special factory oil and not actually a 10W-30.

Not likely. Honda's GN-4 oil is not a particularly shear-stable fluid. IMO it's not really a particularly good quality fluid at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back