Snow Tire Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any good ones out there right now for 205/55R16? I looked and can't seem to find any but I know some of you can spot deals a mile away so thought I would ask. If I buy some 15" wheels I could go for some 195/65R15 tires or a size close to that. Tires are for 05 Matrix. Thank you in advance.

Since this will be my first set of snows I'm not too picky on brand. Just a decent set. Ok off now to check some used ones on CL and FB. Prefer studless or performance winter tires.

I managed to get a decent set off CL. $200 for set of rims and unmounted tires (same seller). Person sold his car and wanted to clean out the garage. I got I think two seasons out of those tires, they'd go a third but they didn't wear well and are chopped.

I think the sales event to watch for is Black Friday. Until then I'd shop for rims on CL.

I too need some snows, dithering if I want to get one or two sets--they say it's going to be a real winter this year.

If you can afford a second set of wheels w/winter tires, this would be the way to go in either size. I mean, not just getting the 205-55-16 winter tires and changing them & your other tires twice a year as this could fatigue the wheels over time.

PLUS having a second set of wheels & tires is easy enough to change over right at home.

The 195-65-15 may be the better in snow by a small margin due to being slightly narrower.

The 205-55-16 may sell off better when that car gets sold off as well due to 15" wheels & tires coming on fewer & fewer vehicles as time goes on.

But for now, either will work perfectly.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention I might be able to get some 15" Prius rims from The Critic if I pay shipping from CA. So prob about $75-100 there for some CA rims.

Most of the used tires out there seem pretty sketchy. Last year I sent a text to someone and he was ordering me to come and pick them up. Ummmm, no not taking orders from you. Then a bunch of subsequent texts when I didn't reply back to him, asking me what my problem was.

JTK,

Yes, I remember seeing that thread which prompted me to shop snow tires in the appropriate size back then. I think they were about double the price for the same tire. Deal of the year/century on yours.

Good points Char Baby, supton and QP. Thank you.

I hear you. I'd love to know why they were that cheap compared to other sizes. Date code on them looks like 2018.

One must remember that tires have a finite life of 5 Max 6 yrs from the date of manufacture, so to double their life is terms of time is worthless.

What's coming on strongly year after year is the all weather tire and this type of tire will suit 90% of the buyers. No changing spring & fall just get in and go.

That's the route I'll take when I need to replace my tires in about 3 yrs. Now there are ares where this won't do and for those a dedicated winter tire will be a must.

Last edited:
Take note that on my prius, and maybe your matrix, the front caliper sticks way out and you need a deeply dished wheel. Other toyota rims should be fine. I have some subaru ones that work but some others that don't, and some sunfire ones that don't.

I now have a bunch of rims that only fit on the rear. Lame.
laugh.gif

I would shoot for the 195/65/15 though; got mine in XL load rating for my camry. 10mm narrower and a hair less tall but so much cheaper I lived with it. And as winter moves on, it's such a common size you should be able to find a replacement in february if you lose one to a pot hole. (Dealers tend to run out of stock.)

Goodluck with CG! I found a deal with 4 basically new Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT on steelies for my focus on CG for $200 because the steelies wouldn't clear the seller's brakes.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Ok off now to check some used ones on CL and FB.
Terrible idea, IMO.

Yeah, only used ones i have are ones i put on a vehicle at my work or that came off a friends car that I trust and know. Even then i use them as a spare only.

Matt: my brothers friend out in eastern PA had 2 sets of Michelin snows but i callled him last night and they were already gone

Michelin has a $70 rebate card deal going on right now
Yokohama has a $60 rebate card
Goodyear has a $100 rebate card
source... TireRack.com

Originally Posted by WobblyElvis
Consider the conditions in which the car will be driven. Snow tires are better in the snow but not so much on dry roads in the winter.
See Video, I can't seem to get this video to display. You will have to click on the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJsV2ORMsms

I wonder how winter performance tires would have performed.

Deal wise:

205/55R16 Dunlop SP WINTER SPORT 4D from 2014 for $103.25 and $120.00 MIR (if one uses Goodyear credit card) is quite a deal.

KrzyÅ›

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back