What's the correct way to use extended drain oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started working on piston engine aircraft in the 1980s.
It is VERY common in aviation to cut open aircraft engine oil filters (for various reasons)

I started to do this with various vehicles, also - more than 30 years ago.

Since I never saw any "metal" in any oil filter (just little carbon chunks) - I decided to run one (a Motorcraft FL-1a) for 30,000 miles with 3x 10K oil changes.

I did actually spin it off, drain it, and look it well over before refilling it and reinstalling it each time.

After 30,000 miles, it was just fine... a little more carbon bits, but really it was just fine.

I have reused oil filters numerous times in my life - people that say "don't ever reinstall one" are speaking from simple ignorance, and nothing more.

My vote is leave it on. The small amount of oil with only 5K miles on it left in the filter won't matter one bit. Leave sleeping filters alone.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
Scenario:
OCI of 5K miles using Mobil 1 AP filters.

Which is best?
a. keep on the vehicle and just change the oil.
b. remove filter drain all the oil from filter and re-apply.
c. either one works, there's no downside with either.

C. Have drained and reinstalled numerous times. Never a problem. Perhaps I'm just lucky. The only reason I would keep the filter on and change the oil only is if accessibility to the filter is not as easy and/or will create a huge mess every time the filter is removed.

Originally Posted by addyguy

+1 to this!

Do NOT understand going to all the effort to do all the things for an OC, and not changing the filter while you are there.

I find changing the filter to be messy and annoying, so I'd rather just do it every other time, especially when I know the Ultra can easily handle double OCIs for me with room to spare. I will do the filter every time on my Corvette while it's still under warranty but once that's over I will do double OCIs on it too. It's not a money issue, it just makes that oil change more enjoyable for me (the one without the filter change)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back