Which e-book reader is best, Kindle or ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found that I'm able to comfortably read in Google Play Books on my phone, I also like the way it amber tints the page in sync with ambient lighting wherever you're reading.

But, I want the bigger screen of something like a Kindle. Thought I'd ask if Kindle is the best. Some stuff I obtain for e-reading is in PDF instead of epub file type. Cost matters, the lower the better. Ability to bookmark, highlight, maybe insert study notes would be a big plus. I'd like to use it to study certain content available as PDF short books and take notes, if that is possible. I know little about them as you can tell...

A tablet.

Get an iPad or simila: massively more versatile than an older dedicated reader. I would give up my smartphone before I would give up my iPad.

Last edited:
You can add google play store to kindle fires if you want to open up their flexibility.

I prefer the paperwhite. What is nice is no glare in sunlight.

Originally Posted by Bud
+1 for paperwhite. No tablet can compete in the bright sunlight.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by Bud
+1 for paperwhite. No tablet can compete in the bright sunlight.

Agreed, for reading text, no contest.

The problem with any Amazon product, you cannot download Android apps. They must be designed for Kindle. I have a Kindle Fire 10, great picture, great speed, but I can't find an Android app that works, even some of the Kindle apps don't work.

Originally Posted by knerml
Why not just use your smart phone?

My Pixel XL work great

I am using my phone and Google Play Books. 5 inch screen don't get it though. Need more screen. Tablet too much $$. Kindle paper white may be the ticket. Does it adjust the backlight in low light rooms so it doesn't smoke your eyes?

If tariffs don't kick in you should be able to pick up a seven inch Fire on Black Friday for $25 or $30. That will be cheaper than any non illuminated Kindle reader. The later will have longer battery life and will be more useful in the sun, however. I have both. Also the Google reader app will work with any Android tablet.

You can read a PDF on a Kindle. You can also download from BookBub.com (many free books) as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
You can read a PDF on a Kindle. You can also download from BookBub.com (many free books) as well.

Good mention of BookBub. I get many free books from this site.

I picked up an Amazon Fire and used it with the Bluescreen on. Eventually I gave in and got a Kindle Paperwhite. No contest. The only thing I don't like about the Paperwhite is that it really needs buttons on the side to flip pages. That way I can hold it left handed and still flip pages. But for the price... I use it for books that I buy cheaply off Amazon, no idea how to make it read random pdf's. Too small to read technical documents anyhow, it's more of a kick back and relax thing for me.

I mainly read .pdfs too and a year ago I went for a refurbished iPad Pro 12.9". The screen real estate is very close to an 8.5"x11" paper.
It's big, and it's "heavy", but I don't have problems reading technical .pdfs anymore.

+5 for the Kindle Paperwhite. Using it is more like reading a REAL book than anything else available.
If you have a computer, download and use Calibre, an e-book management and conversion tool, and you can download/read virtually any book in any format from the Internet for free.

I want whatever 8 inch or so screen is easiest on the eyes for lengthy reading in everything from sunlight to lying in bed with a 60 watt lamp on the nightstand.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I want whatever 8 inch or so screen is easiest on the eyes for lengthy reading in everything from sunlight to lying in bed with a 60 watt lamp on the nightstand.

The Kindle lets you chose whatever font and print size that you want. The Paperwhite is back-lit so you don't need any kind of ambient lighting, and it is the easiest on the eyes and the easiest to read. I like it much better than reading anything on my smart phone or tablet.
If you get one buy a case, the type that opens like a book cover.

I have a house full of books, and don't buy them anymore - so the library is a very important part of my life. I have had a Kobo for 5 years, and it's been great, but it doesn't do colour or pictures. I now have a Kindle fire - I don't buy books from Amazon, and the Kindle doesn't do epub. But my son has done something to it, so it now runs Android - and I can go to the library on my Kindle, get out a book to read...it can do colour and I can enlarge pictures and photos to see detail. I have some other apps (like netlube) and Chromecast to my TV with it. A Kindle is useless...but can be made to be very usefull.

Originally Posted by Silk
A Kindle is useless...but can be made to be very usefull.

Wait, what? Kindle cannot display epub books? Can it do PDF books?

Originally Posted by Silk
I have a house full of books, and don't buy them anymore - so the library is a very important part of my life. I have had a Kobo for 5 years, and it's been great, but it doesn't do colour or pictures. I now have a Kindle fire - I don't buy books from Amazon, and the Kindle doesn't do epub. But my son has done something to it, so it now runs Android - and I can go to the library on my Kindle, get out a book to read...it can do colour and I can enlarge pictures and photos to see detail. I have some other apps (like netlube) and Chromecast to my TV with it. A Kindle is useless...but can be made to be very usefull.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Wait, what? Kindle cannot display epub books? Can it do PDF books?

Like I mentioned before, Calibre can convert ANY e-book file format to the Kindle file format and load it onto your Kindle for you. It also gives you a way to manage your books (heavy readers will appreciate this). What it cannot do is convert Kindle format files the other direction or overcome a Kindle-specific file's DRM restrictions so they can be shared.
IMHO, anyone who loves reading real (paper) books will LOVE the Kindle Paperwhite. One of the major benefits is that you can carry a large number of books with you all of the time, so you will never run out of having another book to read, perfect for traveling. Another major benefit is that it will hold a charge for a long time, something that smartphones/tablets/laptops won't do, I can get over a week of heavy use out of a charge (longer with limited use).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back