KCJeep may be right concerning 10w30 quietness

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, Boron and Moly help quiet valvetrain noise per many entries on bitog.

Originally Posted by KCJeep
I have pretty much come full circle. Before I found BITOG, for decades I had been habitually dumping 10w30 in everything year round. No issues of course but I was using only conventionals, mostly Castrol.

Now I am really liking the full syn 10w30's with their typically low Noack and fewer VII's. I do 10k OCI's now. It seems to me a good 30 grade is the sweet spot for an awful lot of engines. I consider 10w30 the closest thing to a universal oil there is, you can put it in almost anything and it always seems to run well.

Wemay, your MSS is a boron heavy oil, at least it used to be, and boron heavy oils often tend to run quiet as well so it may not just be the grade, but it ain't hurting anything either.
thumbsup2.gif

Glad to see ya KCJEEP
smile.gif

Im wondering how much boron and or moly 5he Formula Shell i gave dad has. The PP 5w30 i have in currently has moly also
smile.gif

We'll see how different the MAG1 5w20 is after my next change.

Originally Posted by wemay
You're right, Boron and Moly help quiet valvetrain noise per many entries on bitog.

I'm glad you found an angle that doesn't involve viscosity
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nap

I'm glad you found an angle that doesn't involve viscosity
laugh.gif

lol.gif

LOL can it be? Is some of the thin oil crowd finally coming to the dark side and realizing that these OEM suggested "water" oils are noisy and not providing the hydrodynamic boundary or acoustical suppression they once thought? Maybe it all is for the sake of CAFE and than .00001% better MPG... Hmmmmm
wink.gif

I won't run anything thinner than a 5W30 in anything I own new or old... 10W30 is truthfully one of the most universal oils that can be obtained and will work great in anything. I'm even finding my 6.0 PSD loves it more than 15W40.

Nope. Running 5w20 next change...maybe.

Last edited:
I just changed over to Valvoline Modern Engine and the Motor is definitely quieter. Even my wife commented on it.

Placebo or not, quieter is better. I'm still running 0w20 too.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I just changed over to Valvoline Modern Engine and the Motor is definitely quieter. Even my wife commented on it.

Placebo or not, quieter is better. I'm still running 0w20 too.

Nice! Good to know.

I couldn't resist. Had to get more for the next change. This MSS 10W30 really works well (quiet) and i don't want to mess with a good thing just yet.

Capture.PNG

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
I thought you were a 0w-20 guy?

No, i've always maintained that most vehicles should be fine on various (within reason) viscosity. I don't consider 0w20 "water thin" nor do i think "modern day engine clearances are too small" for 5W40.

No, i've always maintained that most vehicles should be fine on various (within reason) viscosity. I don't consider 0w20 "water thin" nor do i think "modern day engine clearances are too small" for 5W40.

Yep. I suppose people expect someone to be on one side or another in this polarized society.

Yep. I suppose people expect someone to be on one side or another in this polarized society.

It gets pretty silly.

I thought I remember you posting in your sig using 0w-20 oils. Guess I was wrong. Sorry...

thumbsup2.gif

Very well said PimTac. Spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back