Amsoil AME 15w40 HD Diesel & Marine at 6k miles, 6.0 PSD 201k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first analysis for the AME HD Diesel and Marine. Things to note: The fuel dilution is possibly remanents of contamination from a bad injector which I had replaced, will have to watch and see if it trends down. Also we are looking at line 2. With that said look at the glob of calcium!

1CC75D12-E6B1-44DC-9FB6-4AF019A3C486.jpeg

Last edited:
No offense, but a complete waste of a good oil.

6k on 15 quarts of $$$ oil with TBN of 8 left???

How do you figure it's a waste? I'd say 8 is pretty solid being that it's got some fuel contamination, I'll probably make 15k so long as the fuel % doesn't rise

If the fuel wasn't in there to that level I would run it but because it's there I would change it. JMO

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigShug681
Why the TBN is still strong, the wear metals are low and it's at the top end of a 30w

I explained why and it's just an opinion. Not something set in stone.

Originally Posted by StevieC
If the fuel wasn't in there to that level I would run it but because it's there I would change it. JMO

Last edited:
Not really an explanation about what I asked though, it shows no indication of causing adverse effects. I get it's an opinion but based on what I'm saying is it just because the fuel is there even if it's really not doing anything, maybe dropped the viscosity but that could also be related to shearing.

The fuel dilution is at a moderate level which is part of what formed my opinion and it has also changed the viscosity below grade which is the 2nd part. So it did have an effect and it's why I would change it. What you decide to do is up to you though... If it were my engine I would sacrifice the cost of new oil in this instance. Just me.

Last edited:
what is Ford or Navistar's fuel dilution condemnation limit? My Cummins had 2.87% after 24,000km. Sounds high but Cummins specs 5% max. That was not viscosity specific either. My 10w30 viscosity dropped from 12 @100C to 11.47@100. Big whoop.

I see what you're saying but before we blame the fuel for viscosity drop it could very well be shearing, 40w never stays 40w for long in the 6.0 it shears it down

Originally Posted by BrianF
what is Ford or Navistar's fuel dilution condemnation limit? My Cummins had 2.87% after 24,000km. Sounds high but Cummins specs 5% max. That was not viscosity specific either. My 10w30 viscosity dropped from 12 @100C to 11.47@100. Big whoop.

I'm not sure on the condemnation but the 6.0 will easily turn a 40w into a 30w in a few thousand miles so viscosity drop never concerns me until it gets to the low side of a 30w

Originally Posted by BigShug681
I see what you're saying but before we blame the fuel for viscosity drop it could very well be shearing, 40w never stays 40w for long in the 6.0 it shears it down

I wasn't blaming fuel... I was just saying that the viscosity is out of grade and there is fuel dilution. Sorry if it sounded like i was connecting the two.

I would go to a cheaper 15w40 oil and stay at 6-7k mile intervals until the fuel dilution problem is cured. The PS 6.0 has a reputation for shearing 5w40's down to 30 weight, but I have not seen it shear 15w40 like that. Maybe the fuel dilution is causing the drop in viscosity. I wouldn't want to run the viscosity down to the lower 1/2 of the 30 range in a Ford PSD.

Line 1 was before the fuel issue started and it's about where this viscosity is its only a few thousand ahead, again though I think this could be left over contamination from before they were fixed, it took about 9 months for the potassium for archoil to disappear from the system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back