Well howabout that, the Mazda Rotary is returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota became very interested in this development as well. The small size of the motor can either be used to reduce weight or add battery capacity.

The hybrid motor will be able to run on gasoline or lpg.

How to make cars go:

Electric: Add electrons to the battery.
Plug-in Hybrid: Add electrons to the battery and fuel to the tank.
Mazda Plug-in Hybrid: Add electrons to the battery, fuel to the tank, and oil to the rotary.

-or-

This isn't Mazda adding a rotary to their next hybrid, it's actually Mazda adding an electric motor to their next rotary. Now, the driver will have a way to get to the store to buy oil when the rotary runs low.

I think it's a good concept. Turbocharged 3 row rotary making say 400 hp into a three phase alternator and under floor battery pack. Dual motors for the rear wheels to help with differential steering ... Ought to be quick enough
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MrHorspwer
How to make cars go:

Electric: Add electrons to the battery.
Plug-in Hybrid: Add electrons to the battery and fuel to the tank.
Mazda Plug-in Hybrid: Add electrons to the battery, fuel to the tank, and oil to the rotary.

-or-

This isn't Mazda adding a rotary to their next hybrid, it's actually Mazda adding an electric motor to their next rotary. Now, the driver will have a way to get to the store to buy oil when the rotary runs low.

The lulz are strong with this post, thanks for the humour
grin.gif

Originally Posted by E150GT
You can't believe anything Mazda says. How long has it been promising a diesel engine?

They make them. The problem is getting it past the EPA here in the States. Also with the VAG fiasco, diesel is getting a bad rap.

SkyActiv X may just make the Diesel engine redundant.

It will end up using more oil and gas than most non-hybrids
[Linked Image]
27.gif
57.gif

Mazda needs to discover galvanized steel first, so that their cars don't rust through after three years.

Did they figure out how to make apex seals that don't leak?
lol.gif

You can't believe anything Mazda says. How long has it been promising a diesel engine?

Do you mean in general or in the U.S.? If in general, I hate to tell you this but they've had them for quite a while now.

As PimTac said, the SkyActiv X may make a diesel in the U.S. unnecessary.

I still don't know why nobody has used a really small diesel, say 1L or so, and use it to spin the generator. Kohler makes a couple small, turbo diesels which appear nearly perfect. Load it up and get the diesel spinning right at its peak BSFC to keep batteries charged.

I like the rotary though, lots of power when done right in a small package, but I don't know if I see it going mainstream again, due to emissions. Maybe if somebody gets a second term LOL

Originally Posted by Subdued
why does mazda hate the environment

That's the Mazda way,

That's why the guy in the Mazda way advertisement developed his fire retardant suit, so he could safely drive his Mazda.

I know heaps of people with diesel Mazdas...what broken promises ?

Originally Posted by PimTac
The peanut gallery has arrived.

You cxan say that again; my 2007 MS3 had 158k miles on it when I flipped it in 2016- it was my DD and there was not a speck of rust on it.

I think it's great....that engine is perfect in size for that function. Run at a stabile RPM. Just wonder how they going to keep that thing cool.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
I think it's great....that engine is perfect in size for that function. Run at a stabile RPM. Just wonder how they going to keep that thing cool.

Good question. From what I have read the engine will be about the size of a large shoebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back