Chevy heavy duty gas engine needs upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Actually the previous poster "Phishin" just messed up the quoting. If you read up the comment of "Both of you should learn how to wrench and make your trucks the way you want them instead of whining about it!" was by maxdustington.

Look up and you'll see.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I can't do anything else to make it as capable as a 2500 or 3500, and the add-on's and mods to make the 6.0L perform as well as my truck does today don't exist.

Not quite true, Magnuson has a TVS2300 Radix blower kit for L96 2500/3500 trucks......I was a Magnuson dealer for over 10 years & they performed very well on customers HD trucks at GCWR, My experience with the L96 & E85 (albeit limited).......Was nothing short of amazing with 100% E85 & a custom tune!!!

I would leave the stock exhaust manifolds in place, But install ARP manifold bolts & delete the Catalytic Converters.

The ONLY issues I ever saw.....People getting addicted to the power & upping the boost via a smaller pulley & the Drive Belt.....You WILL go through drive belts if you work it hard.
*I had a few customers put pulleys on without my knowledge & without a re-tune, Ran them lean & burnt pistons along with some plugs & both converters.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by DriveHard
Its amazing to me how many folks simply don't read the thread before they reply....

I DO NOT imply that it is a good idea to simply slam the L9H into the 2500 or 3500 truck...not saying that at all. I didn't say it was a good idea to use an aluminum block on the heavy duty trucks, and I'm not sure why people are using that as an argument (maybe it is a good idea, I simply don't know). All I am saying is that the 6.0L engine is getting old, and I think Chevy could sell a lot more trucks if they upped the hp in the heavy duty line and offered a little more tow capability with the gas engines.

Yes, I do love my L9H in my truck! I know it is high compression, and for sure not set up for the heavy duty market. I run E85 99% of the time, and don't really care about the poor mileage. If you search my past posts you would see that I do tow decent loads, including a tandem trailer setup, a 30' Formula boat with dual small blocks, and currently a 26' Glastron bowrider. Before I got my Fiat, my truck was a DD. I have driven a co-workers 2500 with a 6.0L. Maybe it has "enough" hp to get the job done, but I just don't want to "upgrade" to a slower, less powerful truck to get more payload and tow capacity.

I'll admit that I didn't thoroughly read your opening post.

The return on investment for GM to design, build & certify a new engine for this particular segment would be what? Sure....There might be a spike in sales the first couple years but will normalize to the same levels as before.
In my opinion....They would need to spread the bore spacing out & raise the deck height to accommodate let's say a 4.125" bore & a 4.00" stroke that would yield 7.0 Litres.

GM had the L18 8.1L mated to a Allison 1000......Available for 6 years in the GMT800 platform, Made 40 more horsepower & 95 more ft lbs of torque compared to the LQ4 6.0L that was standard in 2500/3500 trucks.
The torque under the curve was outstanding & the Allison was a big leap with it's ratio's compared to the 4L80E........They couldn't hardly give them away!
GM lost a ton of money on the 8.1L even with help from Medium Duty Kodiak/Top-Kick, RV chassis & Mercury Marine sales. And it wasn't even a clean sheet design as it was based on the big block.

Ford has the 6.2L "Boss" & Dodge has the 6.4L Hemi, They both make more HP & Torque than the GM offering. Dodge has the most power but GM sold 300,000 more fullsize trucks than Dodge last year. I can't find data that breaks down 1500 vs 2500 vs 3500 & what engine was installed......

In the 3/4 and 1 ton segment Ram outsold GM by a considerable margin.

GM had the L18 8.1L mated to a Allison 1000......Available for 6 years in the GMT800 platform, Made 40 more horsepower & 95 more ft lbs of torque compared to the LQ4 6.0L that was standard in 2500/3500 trucks.
The torque under the curve was outstanding & the Allison was a big leap with it's ratio's compared to the 4L80E........They couldn't hardly give them away!

I didn't know the Allison 1000 can be used behind a gas engine - I thought it was exclusive to the Duramax, or that Allison created a different shift schedule/mapping for the higher revs the 8.1L gas V8 can throw at it?

Originally Posted by nthach

I didn't know the Allison 1000 can be used behind a gas engine - I thought it was exclusive to the Duramax, or that Allison created a different shift schedule/mapping for the higher revs the 8.1L gas V8 can throw at it?

Yes sir!......Different calibration along with a higher stall torque converter., Kinda rare though as they did not sell very well & you had the purist that opted for the ZF S6-650 6-speed manual behind the L18. The S6-650 was also optional behind the Duramax from '01-'05.

Medium Duty Top-Kick/Kodiak also had the L18/Allison 1000 as standard equipment for a few years, But they were different than the light duty set-up......
*Lower horsepower
*Different torque converter (PTO)
*HD SAE bellhousing instead of the traditional Chevrolet bell, I believe this difference was also PTO related?

GMT800 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL/Avalanche were available with the L18.....But they had a 4L85E behind them which is a slightly beefed-up 4L80E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back