Windshield Washer Fluid? Homemade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid $4 for a gallon.
What is it made of?
Has anyone ever made their own?

Water with a splash of anti-freeze?

Most -20*F windshield washer fluid is just 65% distilled water and 35% methanol. Some may have a splash of propylene glycol. I used to use it for water/meth injection on my turbo car. I'd mix my own sometimes if I wanted a higher mix of methanol. I'd pick up VP-Racing M1 methanol from the local racetrack for about $2.50/gal. I'm sure the price may be a bit higher now. I don't remember -20*F being $4/gal though. I remember paying closer to $2/gal.

You probably could come out cheaper materials wise to mix it yourself, but by the time you hunt down 99.9% pure methanol, distilled water, and gas to go around and get it, you probably won't see a benefit.

This is a solution wanting for a problem. Don't do it. Meth is not something to mess with; it's toxic and you can't see the flame. Buy it premixed, -20*F less than $2, -35*F stuff less than $3.

$2? LOL, I wish!!
Yea, I asked b/c I know I am getting gouged by the gas station at $5/gallon.

There is no WalMart near where I live. Not sold at CVS.
I will check the grocery store.
If no options, then I will just deal with the $5 price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wowthisexists
$2? LOL, I wish!!
Yea, I asked b/c I know I am getting gouged by the gas station at $5/gallon.

There is no WalMart near where I live. Not sold at CVS.
I will check the grocery store.
If no options, then I will just deal with the $5 price.

Where do you live? BJs use to have a case of 6 for $10, which worked out to $1.66 a gallon, but Walmart had it for $1.58 so it was still cheaper at Walmart. But I just noticed that the price of it went up. It's crazy when they have the summer formula which is basically water, the bottle says protects up to 32 degrees and it's the same price as the -20 stuff.

Where in the US of A do you live that there's no Walmart near you!?

I go through maybe one tank-full of fluid every year (VERY liberally guessed). If you go through more, I'd like to know why.

Oh yeah, you basically can't make it any cheaper on your own that what you can buy it for in the store. Buying pure methanol to dilute yourself is way more money. The only other cheap places to buy it from would probably be stores like Target, Kmart, Sears, etc. But Wally is probably the cheapest.

Originally Posted by PimTac
The blue stuff is junk.

This is much better.

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/1z-921410.html

You can dilute this quite a bit as it is very strong. It really cleans the windshield of debris and it doesn't mess up your reservoir pump like the cheap stuff does sometimes.

$7.99 for an apparent 32 oz bottle?!?!?
Hard pass for something that's $32 per gallon......
Let me know how well that sprayer works while you're driving on the freeway.

BTW, how does the -20F blue stuff mess up your reservior????

Sheesh!!!!!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
Where in the US of A do you live that there's no Walmart near you!?

I go threw maybe one tank-full of fluid every year (VERY liberally guessed). If you go through more, I'd like to know why.

I have headlamp washers which also uses the fluid. Mine only activate after 5-10 pushes of the windshield washer and only when the headlights are on. I think I go through a couple gallons a year. You use a lot if you end up driving during a storm. I always squirt a little if the car has been sitting for a couple days as I always like to have a clear windshields.

Originally Posted by Imp4
The blue stuff is junk.

This is much better.

You can dilute this quite a bit as it is very strong. It really cleans the windshield of debris and it doesn't mess up your reservoir pump like the cheap stuff does sometimes.

$7.99 an apparent 32 oz bottle?!?!?

Sheesh!!!!!

You should try reading first before spouting.

I took half the bottle to make one gallon of cleaner. I could probably dilute it even further.

Originally Posted by gathermewool
?

I go through maybe one tank-full of fluid every year (VERY liberally guessed). If you go through more, I'd like to know why.

one tank-full a year..???. Scuse-me...??? i go through one tank full a month during peak bug season. apr-may-jun and then some..
what about winter time... ?? winter road spray salt /sand / dirt... you can empty a tankful in one day...!!
i'll stop here...

j.

One tank a year?! Our Camrys have about a 1.5 gallon tank. I empty mine at least twice a year. I always buy the RainX -20F bottle because you never know how long it will last you. I have had wiper fluid freeze numerous times. I might just have to try homemade fluid. Maybe add a drop of Dawn too?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Imp4
The blue stuff is junk.

This is much better.

$7.99 an apparent 32 oz bottle?!?!?

Sheesh!!!!!

You should try reading first before spouting.

I took half the bottle to make one gallon of cleaner. I could probably dilute it even further.

$4/gallon.... Pass....

I guess I got thrown by their other windshield washer fluid product ($8.99/32oz but probably dilutable) and the statement to only use this product as directed....

Now back to how the blue juice messes up your reservior... You were saying?!?

I buy a gallon of ammonia and just mix a little with water. I feel the blue stuff clogs the spray nozzles. On cars I take up north I use rubbing alcohol and water.

Places like california don't like the VOCs in methanol blue washer fluid. It's helpful to give a location better than "USA".

I buy my fluid on clearance in spring and I still have a stash from when I used it as filler to reach coupon thresholds at Advance Auto.

I can't think of a cheaper way to obtain bulk industrial alcohol. Someone will probably add water to E10 gas and centrifuge it out.
lol.gif

In January I cut it 50/50 with the yellow/pink/purple 30-below stuff for that extra edge.

This is what I use. It's great in the winter and it leaves the winshield squeeky clean. I developed it because they use a de-icing spray here that sticks worse than glue when it gets kicked up onto your vehicle / windshield. Before this I was a Rain-X Winter / Bug fan.

Homemade Windshield Washer Fluid:

2 cups isopropyl alcohol 99% (or more if you can't find 99% Iso-Alcohol and then just adjust water below) Or less if you don't live where cold temperatures is a concern.
1 cup white vinegar
3 quarts water
2 Tbsp liquid dish soap (Dawn seems to work best)
5 drops blue food coloring

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back