Are Kubota lawn tractors good, better, or best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks, Kubota? vs John Deere? I am not interested in buying a MTD machine. I am going to buy a riding lawn mower tractor or a zero radius riding mower. Price not too much a factor...high quality/easy maintenance is my top priority...

What do you guys think of Kubota? Would you buy a JD or is it just the name one would pay for...for that matter is Kubota just a name to pay for... I would appreciate your collective wisdom... I will be using this machine for small commercial lawn cutting service and for my own (5 acre) residence when I retire. Now also...what do you think about gas or diesel powered? I am leaning toward diesel for the power and the long haul... Thoughts? advice?

Diesel hands down if your in it for the long haul for obvious reasons. If I had a choice between the two I believe I would have to pick the kubota, They have been making some top notch products lately. My in-laws have had a few kubota tractors recently and they have had no failures of any kind whatsoever.

Although I really like the JD's they make fine equipment also and would not hesitate to purchase one of them. Seen many of them last years without problems. I myself would have to give it to Kubota this time.

It's really what your budget allows and what you personally like the best.

Here's their sites if you havent looked already.

Kubota
JD

I would go with the kubota also. they are nice machines. but if doing comercial mowing. the kubota might be a better pick. what about gravley (I guess they still make them) see alot of them around too. the cematery I use to work at had a kubota tractor and a gravley zero turn mower. both ran great all year and never had a problem,

Kubota is probably the best you can buy. They have VERY strong and heavy mower decks & hardware and I beleive they use their own hydrostatic drive system which is also bullet proof. I think kubota went to kohler command pro air cooled gas engines for the (gas) garden tractors. A great engine, but you'd get better fuel economy and twice the ops hours out of a kubota diesel. Either engine gas/diesel would give you smooth and ample power. Kubota and deere are the best for operator comfort as well.

Joel

For me, a huge factor in the decision would be the quality of the dealer you'll be working with. Both JD and Kubota are great products...but a great product can be ruined by a bad dealer. If I felt that one was better than the other in terms of service, parts support and technical assistance...that would make the decision for me. If both are good, I'd choose the one that was more conveniently located.

GrtArtiste

I bought a Kubota GR2100 diesel lawn tractor last year, and it's an excellent machine. I mow about 4 acres with it every week. It's fast, powerful and not too noisy. Easy to manuever, as well. The 3-cylinder diesel engines that Kubota makes will last a very long time, and the maintenance is easy. Don't get the gas engine version, it's just a generic Kohler engine.

Which John Deere ??
My Dad claims that the Home Depot/Lowe's John Deere's are made by MTD. He bought one from HD and it was not any thing like his other JD. The JD Dealer told him that the retail stores sell the MTD made Deeres and then he has to work on them.

Anyone else know if this is true ????

The JD 100 series machines sold at big box stores are made by JD, but out of a different facility than the JD LT and up lawn and garden tractors. There is nothing MTD on them. I still don't see why anyone would confuse a JD 100 series with the regular line of JD units?!? The 100's are under $2K where a 'normal' deere LT/GT is 2-3x that price. John deere garden tractors were way over $2K 30yrs ago.

Joel

Thanks mates... I will most likely be going w/ a Kubota...diesel. Just starting a small lawn cutting business and appreciate your thoughts...

We use Exmarks in our business. We like the cut. The Kubota, although well made, is too slow for us and the cut is less than desired.

Just my two cents.

Hmmmm, Exmark...Thanks for the lead...I will check them out. Speed is important...

tks much for the two cents!!!!

Handy, you need to figure out if you want a tractor OR a zero turn mower. ZTR's cant really be used for anything but mowing, but they are the fastest way to mow. Tractors tend to be more versatile with attachments, etc.. If you are going the ZTR route, there are TONS of commercial ZTR makers out there. Exmark is just one of many.

Joel

Handy,

Re-read GrtArtiste's post! Much wisdom there. When I was shopping for a compact tractor I narrowed the list to Kubota and JD. You can't go wrong with either. I went with JD simply because the dealer was willing to deal. Service has been great.

Go with a diesel--either way you get a fine Japanese engine (Yanmar in the JD). Happy hunting!

Cheers, Mark

Have had my 14hp Kubota diesel for 20 years this summer.

It's survived FOUR teenagers!! Also I'm rougher on it than any sane adult would imagine.

Have to replace blades and usually belts every spring, deck levelers occasionally,blade shaft carrier bearings last year, deck is just beginning to rust thru (because I never wash it) have been brazing pinholes in deck for past 3 years. In another 20 years maybe I'll have a BRASS DECK!!! Change oil (Rotella 15w40) yearly and usually just screw a new filter on hydrostatic drive yearly. Think I've changed hydro oil 4-5 times.

Motor, hydrostatic drive and rear differental are BULLETPROOF!! After 20 very hard years, I'd not today trade this mower for any gas machine made, and I'm not sentimental. Hate mowing with a passion. Thats why I bought the fastest, toughest,machine available and still use it.

Bob

If you want a ztr i say get an exmark or a hustler or a grasshopper with the deck out front. I like the kubota zd series but i cannot say how they cut or stripe

Handy CJ,

Both are great vendors. There are trade offs though with each. Make sure you drive it on your property before you purchase. My Deere dealer was very helpful with this. Check out turning radius. Both vendors have models with poor and great turning radius. Wrt gas vs diesel, I chose liquid cooled gas since my other 13 engines in the barn are gas. Though ZTR's are very flexible now, a tractor has more options available to you. 5 acres is alot to mow. Make sure that the tank can handle this without a fillup! Also check out Power Trac at www.power-trac.com. Very versatile, I've never seen so many attachments for one unit!

good luck...
-greenhobby

greenhoby,

Takes one tough dude to set through 5 acres of mowing without refreshments, stretching legs, taking a leak, ansering phone, etc. Why not top off fuel tank as well?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back