Stahlwille Short Pattern Wrenches

I grabbed these on Amazon.de under $150 on the door. These are shorter than the standard Hazet and US wrenches, perfect for cramped spaces.
The quality is fantastic, no plating, blasted finish, nothing on these just a great feel from the perfectly made special tool steel alloy, they are much thinner than even the Hazets.

IMG_0472.JPG

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

I still have some of those left. They are very thin, hard on the hands at times...and I have bent some.

For me these are more of a specialty wrench then an everyday go to. My old short "A" pattern wrenches were from Elora which were great but a bit chunky and no flank drive (their version of it), these have it and have a great fit.
I cant see bending one when used as its supposed to be but with cheaters any wrench will bend. These will go where standard wrenches wont.

The ones I have left are my everday go too, and they will bend before any other same quality tool. Not knocking them, but they are sharp, and will bend.

If they do then I will find out and post it. Honestly you are the first person I have heard report this. I used a couple last night and didn't find them sharp at all, how old are the ones you have? These are redesigned with flank drive and smooth sides.

Hey Trav - Can't find this precise set on Amazon.de - I've found similar, with 8-19 wrenches, but I like the fact that your set goes up to 24. Not much use for the sizes under 10...but plenty of times when bigger is useful.

Would you have a set # or part number for your set?

Some nice Stahlwille offset ring wrenches on the US Amazon site (Need to see what's in my box at home, think I already have similar, but would like to upgrade) but no Ratschen Ringmaulschlüssel to be found on this side of the pond...

Did you have these shipped to the US?

Thanks,
Astro

Last edited:
Hey Astro, Part # 96400816 Yes they ship to USA, IIRC it was $7 or $8 and they knock the almost 20% MwSt off this price. They ship Royal Mail and it takes a couple of weeks but it does get here. amazons description is not correct, just ignore it, the part number is for the 16 piece.

https://www.amazon.de/Stahlwille-Maulringschl%C3%BCssel-Satz-16-teilig-Open-Box-96400816/dp/B00N3LSWRG

Ratchet open box rings.

https://www.amazon.de/Stahlwille-Ratschen-Ringmaulschl%C3%BCssel-Rolltasche-Biegefestigkeit/dp/B00LPDNOWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1538663548&sr=1-1&keywords=stahlwille+Ratschen+Ringmaulschl%C3%BCssel

Last edited:
Perfect! Thank you very much.

Amazon says: "Vielen Dank, Ihre Bestellung wird bearbeitet." - which I take to mean they're on their way...

Cheers,
Astro

I have just had a look, and they are Open box 13...but they do date from the '70's when I got them. I also have Hazet from the same period. It's always been known that Stahwille are sharp on the hands....maybe they finally listened to customers.

Yes, they seem to have done just that, they claim skin friendly wrenches and AS drive (their version of flank drive). I am in the same boat as you, tools from the 30 years ago are showing their age along with the lack of features available on modern versions.
Its a little late in the game but I decided to upgrade a lot of them, ratchets, sockets, wrenches with like quality tools.

Well I'm the opposite - this late in the game I'm only updating with cheap stuff, the quality brands I started with are just far too expensive now. Some of the tools made by names I've never heard of before are interesting and were not available to me 40 years ago. Like beer, we didn't have much choice back then, now I enjoy sampling the huge variety available today.

I have Karl Walter for thin ones. I find the Stahlwille wrenches surprisingly comfortable in my hand, but your mileage may vary. Satin or black oxy Wright wrenches are the most comfortable in my hand.
Thank you for sharing a decent deal on a decent tool
smile.gif

Added: this is a good time of the year for the tool AdventKalendaren as well, they will start soon. Also a good time of the year to play the Prime trial for a month, and your shipping from Germany is going to be affected in a very positive way too.

Last edited:
The Karl Walter were good tools, I had a set of their zinc phosphate coated wrenches, ugly as sin but they are for marine environments and don't rust even near salt water. Their translucent red handled screwdrivers are still going strong after 20+ years.
Buying from Amazon is almost 20% cheaper than buying the stuff there but they don't have or ship everything to the US, for those things I pick them up myself and send/bring them.

The tool company Hoffmann has a lot of made for them only items they don't sell on Amazon or ship to the US, unlike Walmart and HD their made for them tools are not cheapened to a price point they are upgraded to commercial/industrial use.
These screwdrivers from PB Swiss are exclusive to Hoffmann as can be seen by the mark on the handle and part#.

IMG_0296.JPG

Looks like the ratchetting ones are not German made though. Looks like Gedore is the only German made ones.

As a matter of fact Hoffmann has been active in USA for a couple + years now, with huge paper catalogs, reps and all that.
No stores though, mostly industrial business model. Hoffmann USA has its own web site.

TOP FRC-6000 is impressively durable, although smaller in number of sizes and has no direction switch

Last edited:
I didn't know they were in the US. The store go to is a main warehouse, you go in place the order at the counter, pay the cashier and come back in 3 hrs and pick it up, boxed, billed out, the works. There is no tool showroom, grab off the rack and pay sort of thing, Americans wouldn't like it, it was much worse years ago which was a sit down session.

Gedore being part of Hazet surprises me that they are not farming these out like some of the other slow selling tools that either get cancelled from the program or made for them eg the wire strippers, self grips, oil filter removal fingers, hydraulic nut splitters, etc, their front end tools are Klann and pliers are Knipex.

The stuff they do farm out is done by some of the best in the business for that type of product. I am trying to run down a nut splitter I got a few weeks ago, it is sold by Sykes Pickervant but made in Germany so its not a Sykes made product. It is also sold under the names Bahco, Gedore and Belzer, I suspect Gedore makes it as Hazet also sold it with reverse color scheme. the original Hazet I had is being repaired by Hazet (hydraulic failed after 25 years, frame okay) and has a square shape not round like the newer discontinued model.

Back