3.5EB Gen II: Oil & Interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the concensus on a 3.5 Ecoboost (Gen II) still to limit OCI to 6,000 mi or 40% Remaining on OLM?

Is the Magnatec still holding up well to shearing and/or dilution with the change in formula with the switch from Blend to Full Synthetic?

PS I didn't have a lot of luck with search.

Originally Posted by CT8
Gene didn't you have a 2.7 F150?

2015 Scab XL Sport FX4 2.7EB

Dealer offered me $4000 less than I paid for it and a 2018 Screw XLT Sport FX4 for $5000 off + $6000 in Rebates + I had a $3000 Private Offer. At $14,000 Off I couldn't resist.

Im just a little nervous about the cam chain issues these engines have had (although they have been redesigned) and the study that suggest ZDDP and Carbon Soot interact to attack hardened metal. The best way I know to reduce Carbon Soot loading, Viscosity Loss and Fuel Dilution is to shorten interval. At least until the engine tells me it's a non-issue.

Originally Posted by CT8
Gene didn't you have a 2.7 F150?

2015 Scab XL Sport FX4 2.7EB

Dealer offered me $4000 less than I paid for it and a 2018 Screw XLT Sport FX4 for $5000 off + $6000 in Rebates + I had a $3000 Private Offer. At $14,000 Off I couldn't resist.

Im just a little nervous about the cam chain issues these engines have had (although they have been redusigned) and the study that suggest ZDDP and Carbon Soot interact to attach hardened metal
Originally Posted by KJSmith
I follow the OLM mostly.
Usually change around 9500.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/u...2-eco-9632-miles-19220-total#Post4628650

Is that a Gen 2 (17+)?

That looks really good. Your low fuel, TBN on the MC near what a lot of Gen 1 show at 6,000 mi and if the iron keeps trending down they might have it licked..

In reality Ive seen Gen 1 Trucks that have 350,0000 mi with 7,000 mi Conventional OCI (30% OLM) on the original timing chains and trucks with 200,000 on the 3rd set with 5,000 mi OCI on Mobil 1 so I'm not sure a shorter change is the fix. Only thing I can really effect though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gene K

Is that a Gen 2 (17+)?

Yes Gen 2.

You can follow the links back to my Gen 1.
I was following the OLM on it also.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Follow the iOLM and a 5W30 which meets specs. No one on her has proven this does not work.

This. You can go all OCD on oil (I do a bit; I'll admit) and change it early, but there is zero evidence that early oil changes are providing any benefit.

I'll say this- if I owned one of these trucks I'd stick to a 5,000-mile maximum OCI with a good full synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol.

I'm a Ford service advisor and we just had a 2018 Raptor come in and get a new timing chain, VCT actuators and all associated hardware after the original chain stretched. 24,500 miles on the truck. The owner said he has the oil changed when the OLM tells him to. If it were my truck I would stick to the 5k interval.

Not trying to scare anyone but definitely some food for thought.

In reality Ive seen Gen 1 Trucks that have 350,0000 mi with 7,000 mi Conventional OCI (30% OLM) on the original timing chains and trucks with 200,000 on the 3rd set with 5,000 mi OCI on Mobil 1 so I'm not sure a shorter change is the fix. Only thing I can really effect though.

Originally Posted by Onug
Follow the iOLM and a 5W30 which meets specs. No one on her has proven this does not work.

This. You can go all OCD on oil (I do a bit; I'll admit) and change it early, but there is zero evidence that early oil changes are providing any benefit.

Agreed
My next door neighbor owns an EB Explorer with high miles and only uses Groupon coupons to change oil wherever he gets a $19.99 special. The truck runs like a dream. Do they still recommend Motorcraft blend for these.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay

Agreed
My next door neighbor owns an EB Explorer with high miles and only uses Groupon coupons to change oil wherever he gets a $19.99 special. The truck runs like a dream. Do they still recommend Motorcraft blend for these.

Because regular OCI's beat the you know what out of extended neglect.

Originally Posted by EricBeau
I'll say this- if I owned one of these trucks I'd stick to a 5,000-mile maximum OCI with a good full synthetic like Mobil 1 or Castrol.

I'm a Ford service advisor and we just had a 2018 Raptor come in and get a new timing chain, VCT actuators and all associated hardware after the original chain stretched. 24,500 miles on the truck. The owner said he has the oil changed when the OLM tells him to. If it were my truck I would stick to the 5k interval.

Not trying to scare anyone but definitely some food for thought.

I do appreciate experiences like this, but does it make sense to blame the oil? How many other factors are in play here? Lots, including "random chance".

Are you seeing other 2nd EBs with similar problems? Especially the non-Raptor version? There will always be outliers with random problems. Need multiple examples to suggest a trend.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by wemay

Agreed

Because regular OCI's beat the you know what out of extended neglect.

What does this mean without any facts to support your opinion.

LOL you just proved my point because its evident they are doing anything to prove it isn't abuse in probably 80% of the cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
LOL you just proved my point because its evident they are doing anything to prove it isn't abuse in probably 80% of the cases.

Ford provided the testing https://social.ford.com/en_US/story...-for-the-ford-f-150-ecoboost-engine.html

You provided nothing. Not even knowing a cousins, uncle, neighbor who's Ecoboost died hearsay testimony

LOL I'm laughing my arse off!

It all depends on the oil, if you fill in cheap dino oil I'd feel more confident with a 6-8k OCI however 10k would probably also work, it will just not be a 100% in engine cleanliness and shear stability by the end of the OCI. However not everyone is a freaky as us and to the normal driver, it'll make no difference if he had 10k or 6k OCIs once the car gets sold for scrap after 10-15 years. The manufacturers try to strike a balance between what the costumer can take (short OCIs are not optimal in that concern) and what is best for the engine (longer OCIs bad in that case). Furthermore those OCIs are made to be achievable even with cheap oil. So if you wanna do best for your engine shorten the OCI by ~70% if running on cheap stuff. If you run good stuff, I see no troubles in confidently stretching the OCI to 10 or even 12k miles.

It's not rocket science.

Last edited:
Fair point. That particular Raptor is the only Gen 2 EB that I've seen with a stretched chain. We've had probably a dozen Gen 1 EBs come in with stretched chains over the past year, ranging from 60k miles on up through 160k. The truck with 160k had had chain replacement at 80k or something; that owner had added a secondary oil filter and was going 15k on Amsoil. That is absolutely not something I would attempt with any EcoBoost.

With all of the new components that these EB engine feature I personally would stick with 5k and a quality synthetic, for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back