Picked up a new Glock 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Astro14
I'm curious - "Glocked Out"?

When does one reach that point? How many Glocks? One in each caliber?

I ask because I don't think I'm "Glocked Out" yet. I've got a 17, 19s, 20, and 23. I would still like a couple more...

LOL... I went from totally despising Glocks to having the triplets (in pairs) of each "family" in Gen 4.

So 17, 19, & 26; 22, 23, & 27; 31, 32, 33... Well, you get the idea. I think I have an addiction.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by bubbatime
Everyone hates the G19X/G45, until they hold one and shoot it. I didn't like it either, at first, it didn't make sense to me. But actually go shoot one, and it just makes sense. Its a smooth shooter, it feels great in the hand. I also own the Glock 19X that this is based on, I just wanted a black one.

Most people are just trolls. Full sized grips and shorter barrels have been happening for over 100 years. If you want a shorter grip to aid concealed carry it makes no sense to have a longer slide. "

Actually, slide length makes little difference in concealed carry. The largest factor in whether a pistol "prints" is grip length, which is why so many of us want Glock to make a 19 slide on a 26 frame, and a 17 slide on a 19 frame. Those would be "Goldilocks" pistols. Short grip for concealability, but you still get the sight radius for accuracy/consistency of shot placement, and the little extra barrel length for bullet performance.

I carry everyday. Slide length matters plenty along with grip length/size. Especially if you appendix carry. If I'm going to so with a shorter grip, and give up the better grip feel and higher capacity because I need the concealability, I'll take a shorter slide too. Sight radius and muzzle velocity between a 19 and 17 means little or nothing for defensive shooting at a few yards. A full size grip and more ammo has obvious advantages.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD

I ask because I don't think I'm "Glocked Out" yet. I've got a 17, 19s, 20, and 23. I would still like a couple more...

LOL... I went from totally despising Glocks to having the triplets (in pairs) of each "family" in Gen 4.

So 17, 19, & 26; 22, 23, & 27; 31, 32, 33... Well, you get the idea. I think I have an addiction.

So, all three sizes in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357 Sig, right

Nothing in .45 ACP? Nothing in 10mm? Nothing in .45 GAP?

I'm shocked...

Your collection can still be expanded...

grin.gif

I'm shocked...

grin.gif

LOL...all three in .45ACP too. No GAP, though I did waffle on it, but could not find brass cheap enough. 10MM is next on deck and then I am done 🤣🤣🤣

I'm shocked...

grin.gif

LOL...all three in .45ACP too. No GAP, though I did waffle on it, but could not find brass cheap enough. 10MM is next on deck and then I am done 🤣🤣🤣

Starline has .45 GAP brass for a decent price. I'd pick up one if I found it for a great price. I want a G40 10mm for sure.

Glad you like it, but (for me) there is nothing about a Gen5 that would cause me to move away from my Gen4's.

I own perhaps 8 gen 3 GLOCK pistols, no gen 4. The gen 4 got a terrible start, with terrible reliability out of the gate, with lots of problems. I didn't care to upgrade to gen 4. Gen 5 is different. There are significant improvements. The big one being that they redesigned the pistol to use coil springs for the critical springs. No more broken trigger springs, no more broken slide lock springs. I have personally launched two Glock slides down range when my gun spontaneously disassembled itself, which happens when the slide lock spring breaks on the gen 2/3/4 guns. That is a debilitating flaw on the older guns, and impossible on the newer guns with the redesigned springs.

Glock also says that the gen 5 guns blow the old pistols out of the water in long term reliability. According to them, the new guns are by far the most reliable they have ever made.

So for me, the gen 3 was the gold standard legendary pistol, the gen 4 was mehhhh, and the gen 5 blows them out of the water.

The gen 4 is a great pistol now, I just never warmed up to them. They didn't blow my skirt up. The gen 5 does. I will be getting a gen 5 G19 and gen 5 G26 soon.

Also, the new finish on the gen 5 is very similar to the old famous super durable "Teflon frying pan" finish of yesteryear. The new finish blows away the current gen 3 and gen 4 finish.

Originally Posted by Highboy
How many magazines come with it and how many rounds. Buds has this with Glock nights sigts for $579, but it looks like 10 round magazines.

Comes with three 17 rd magazines if you buy the free-states package.

Glock also says that the gen 5 guns blow the old pistols out of the water in long term reliability. According to them, the new guns are by far the most reliable they have ever made. So for me, the gen 3 was the gold standard legendary pistol, the gen 4 was mehhhh, and the gen 5 blows them out of the water.
The caveat to the Gen5 is it all good if you like it and if you are only seeking 9MM. Unless something has been changed since it was released with the Gen5 changes in the locking block, it cannot be used in higher pressure calibers. All of my Gen4 pistols are from 2016 and forward and have been nothing but reliable with two of them now pushing 12K in rounds down range. It will be interesting to see how the Gen5 fares, then again, what pistol from Glock has not ever paid for itself--for the company or the user?

Glock also says that the gen 5 guns blow the old pistols out of the water in long term reliability. According to them, the new guns are by far the most reliable they have ever made. So for me, the gen 3 was the gold standard legendary pistol, the gen 4 was mehhhh, and the gen 5 blows them out of the water.
The caveat to the Gen5 is it all good if you like it and if you are only seeking 9MM. Unless something has been changed since it was released with the Gen5 changes in the locking block, it cannot be used in higher pressure calibers. All of my Gen4 pistols are from 2016 and forward and have been nothing but reliable with two of them now pushing 12K in rounds down range. It will be interesting to see how the Gen5 fares, then again, what pistol from Glock has not ever paid for itself--for the company or the user?

9mm is a high pressure round. The most likely reason Gen5 guns are in 9mm because 9mm is super hot right now.

9mm is a high pressure round. The most likely reason Gen5 guns are in 9mm because 9mm is super hot right now.
As compared to what? 10MM, .357SIG?

9mm +p is 38,500 psi. That's higher than SAAMI specs for .40 and 10mm. I think 357 Sig is 40,000 but 9mm is plenty high pressure. 9mm NATO may be higher than 40,000 but I don't remember. The only "low pressure" service round I can think of is .45 ACP.

Last edited:
[The caveat to the Gen5 is it all good if you like it and if you are only seeking 9MM. Unless something has been changed since it was released with the Gen5 changes in the locking block, it cannot be used in higher pressure calibers. All of my Gen4 pistols are from 2016 and forward and have been nothing but reliable with two of them now pushing 12K in rounds down range. It will be interesting to see how the Gen5 fares, then again, what pistol from Glock has not ever paid for itself--for the company or the user?
9mm +p is 38,500 psi. That's higher than SAAMI specs for .40 and 10mm. I think 357 Sig is 40,000 but 9mm is plenty high pressure. 9mm NATO may be higher than 40,000 but I don't remember. The only "low pressure" service round I can think of is .45 ACP.
I read quite a bit about the Gen5 before it debuted and this is was stuck with me--particularly the bold parts. For me, it simply does not matter because I will not pick up any Gen 5 pistols, but for clarity, I think it is worthy of note:

First and second generation Glocks had triggers with only one pin in the locking block/trigger mechanism. A second pin, the locking block pin, was added to third generation pistols because the trigger pin alone wasn't strong enough to deal with some cartridges [read: .40 cal] and displayed durability issues on high round-count pistols. Now with the fifth generation, the locking block pin has gone to live at the farm with the grip's finger grooves. While this change might be a result of Glock improving the strength and design of the trigger bar and locking block components, we suspect that's part of the story. Since Glock says the Gen5's will only be offered in 9mm, the parts may not require the .40 cal reinforcement that came from the locking block pin.

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/inside-the-glock-gen-5-129141.html

Originally Posted by buck91
I saw this was released but got sidetracked before checking it out. So this is basically a combination of gen 5 19 and 17? Not sure I get that, as even with my large'ish meatpaws I can comfortably handle and shoot the 19/23. And I would want the extra barrel length and sight radius more, anyways. But I haven't handled one, perhaps I am mistaken?

The gun was designed for duty use straight up. When sitting in a car the shorter slide of the 19 doesn't bottom out on the seat as much on an OWB duty rig. The longer slide 17 is more uncomfortable for more people sitting in a patrol car. The longer grip is for 2 extra rounds which may or may not matter in a LEO involved shooting.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Carry a 21F everyday on the job, great pistols but not a fan of the general way Glock's look. Rumor has it around work we may be going back to 9mm's. I hope not.

More capacity and easier follow up shots. If you can shoot a 21F well you can shoot the G19/17/45 even better i am sure. Never heard any complaints from officers using proper duty ammo, like 124+P Gold Dots, 124+P HST or 124+P Critical Duty.

The caveat to the Gen5 is it all good if you like it and if you are only seeking 9MM. Unless something has been changed since it was released with the Gen5 changes in the locking block, it cannot be used in higher pressure calibers.

Now with the fifth generation, the locking block pin has gone to live at the farm with the grip's finger grooves. While this change might be a result of Glock improving the strength and design of the trigger bar and locking block components, we suspect that's part of the story. Since Glock says the Gen5's will only be offered in 9mm, the parts may not require the .40 cal reinforcement that came from the locking block pin.

Glock makes a .40 caliber Glock 22 on the 2 pin generation 5 frame. So apparently, they think the new 2 pin frame is just fine for .40 cal pressures. The locking block inside the gen 5 guns has 2 holes, for two pins, but obviously the frame only has one hole.

Sao Paulo Brazil police Glock 22 .40 with safety, generation 5
[Linked Image]

The caveat to the Gen5 is it all good if you like it and if you are only seeking 9MM. Unless something has been changed since it was released with the Gen5 changes in the locking block, it cannot be used in higher pressure calibers.
Now with the fifth generation, the locking block pin has gone to live at the farm with the grip's finger grooves. While this change might be a result of Glock improving the strength and design of the trigger bar and locking block components, we suspect that's part of the story. Since Glock says the Gen5's will only be offered in 9mm, the parts may not require the .40 cal reinforcement that came from the locking block pin.
Glock makes a .40 caliber Glock 22 on the 2 pin generation 5 frame. So apparently, they think the new 2 pin frame is just fine for .40 cal pressures. The locking block inside the gen 5 guns has 2 holes, for two pins, but obviously the frame only has one hole. Sao Paulo Brazil police Glock 22 .40 with safety, generation 5
The proof will be in the pudding if they make it in 10MM or .357SIG. In the end, it matters not to me because as I said, the Gen 5 offers nothing that would make me move away from my Gen 4's. Enjoy your pistol.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
New forward slide serrations. Neither the 19 or 19X have that. Interesting.

They are releasing front serrations on their other two guns they just released as well. I dont know if this is a permanent change or not.

And no dumb finger hole in the grip for the mag. That's how my gen5 19 should have come from the factory instead of spending $30 for Pearce mag baseplates. Thanks a lot, Glock.

I finally took my gen 5 Glock 19 to the range. I must say I'm pretty disappointed at how uncomfortable the magwell cutout in the grip is even when using Pearce mag baseplates. They may actually make it worse. I guess I need to wrap my pinky finger with tape or band-aids or something next time. Lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back