Meet your iPhones grandparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad my first smartphone was iphone4s. Everything before that was just terrible to use besides answering calls and a calculator. Really though thr iPhone 6s was first decently smartphone experience to me.

I am a late adopter to tech.

Last edited:
I had an older Nokia that was awesome and then I had a iPhone 3G and 3GS before by 4GS and they were good. I liked the curved back on the 3G/3Gs unlike the boxier frame on the iPhones after that. They have curved corners but the back is flat and no contoured to the edges. It made holding it in the hand nicer. (I carry one for work)

I don't get why the apple product is such a big deal. I got a phone from CVS for 10 bucks that does internet and all the android apps. Tracfone $6 month burner.

[Linked Image]

grin2.gif
I think this is why... I personally don't belong, I just am forced to carry one for work. I also have an Android for my personal cell.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I had an older Nokia that was awesome and then I had a iPhone 3G and 3GS before by 4GS and they were good. I liked the curved back on the 3G/3Gs unlike the boxier frame on the iPhones after that. They have curved corners but the back is flat and no contoured to the edges. It made holding it in the hand nicer. (I carry one for work)
I agree 100%, I had an LG G3 with a curved back and the upped to a G6. Glass on both sides and right angles makes it impossible to hold.

EDIT: My friend had a G4 I believe and it had a curved leather back. It stuck to your hand like glue!

Last edited:
Whoever would manufacture one of those types again, Apple or Android I would buy it because it makes for a nicer feel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
I still have on of these somewhere in the house:

[Linked Image]

My dad had one of those at one of his first service stations... He kept it and still has it in the basement at his house. He keeps it for good luck.

Last edited:
Its worth more to me because it was worth so much to him to keep it all these years and now that he is battling Cancer I'm going to have a hard time parting with anything that was his. Gonna miss the guy when he's gone because he's an awesome mechanic and an even better father and he came to Canada at 15 without 2 nickels to rub together and did quite well for himself and us as a family. I'm making the most of the time we have left and I'm glad I have been given the opportunity to do so without him being snatched away suddenly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by turtlevette
I don't get why the apple product is such a big deal. I got a phone from CVS for 10 bucks that does internet and all the android apps. Tracfone $6 month burner.

(Early) Apple was the reason the cell phone experience got so good on Android. That has trickled into your $10 phone.

Early Android was abysmal except expensive ones. I have had access to 400 phones at work over last 7 years.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I had one of these when I was a kid,and I think I actually still have it boxed up somewhere:

I remember these!

First cell phone was a Motorola MicroTAC Piper on CellularOne by Dobson Wireless.

I had the first iPhone and also had some of the first "Droid" Android smartphones with a brief courting of Verizon. However, the majority of the time, I've been with Cingular/AT&T. Prior to that, had a BlackBerry 8820 for years, a Palm Treo 650, Razr V3xx, Nokia 5125 (short duration, phone was very cumbersome).

I have upgraded iPhone to iPhone as the upgrade paths have allowed, owning just about every other device in-between. Also, have usually seen every Apple phone around launch from different C-level or Execs upgrades.

Last week upgraded to a Galaxy S9+. Great phone.

The bar/flip/less smartphones -- I used to hang onto much longer than today's smartphones.

Last edited:
I still use an HP15C I was given in 1983...I was one of the few kids in my AP Physics class who didn't have an HP calc (15C or 41C for the rich kids) and I insisted my mother rectify that situation after my TI55II freaked out during a quiz and cost me 10 points.
Mom almost lost it when she saw the 15C was $90, but I was adamant about it...great investment, needs batteries about every 10 years and still works great despite the nameplate falling off, the rubber feet disappearing, and the math aids on the back being totally worn off.

I was working at Motorola when one of the TAC phones came out and they let everybody in our lab use one for a week with free calls. I took mine to my dad's house, handed it to him, and told him to make a call. He asked what I was talking about and told him it was a phone and to open it up and make a call, even just for the time.
I thought he would think it was so cool...
he snapped the thing shut and told me to get it away from him.
I think the world was changing way too fast for him...
One of my coworkers took his out of state and made dozens and dozens of calls all around the country with it. That was very expensive at the time and he got a little talking to, but, in his defense, nobody told him he couldn't do that with the phone.

In the summer of 1967 survey crews used a mechanical calculator that looked like a small coffee grinder. There was much toing and froing with the handle on top - thus the similarity to a coffee grinder.

In 1971, my final undergraduate year in engineering, one of my classmates showed up with a fat, hand held calculator that cost $300. It could do many things, just like a slide rule - though accurate to more than 3 decimals.That was at a time when starting engineering salaries were less than $10,000 a year. He had paid more than a week's salary for a calculator!

Does anyone remember reverse Polish notation? That was a big thing for calculators during the early - mid 70s.

In the mid 70s I finally bought a calculator - which I promptly lost. A day or so later I found one that was so similar that the instruction book for my lost calculator worked with it. Seems that the fates had decided to exchange my black case calculator with a silver one. I still have it though the keys have gotten a little unreliable.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Does anyone remember reverse Polish notation? That was a big thing for calculators during the early - mid 70s.

Of course, that HP-15C that Virtus_Probi mentioned uses RPN for entry. My old HP-41 (that I still have) uses it, as does the HP-35S that I bought much later.

RPN kept the riffraff from borrowing your calculator in class. "Where is the = button??? How do you use this??? Ehh, never mind...."

RPN was easier to use IMHO, I found it easy to visualize when entering in a string.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by ecotourist

Of course, that HP-15C that Virtus_Probi mentioned uses RPN for entry. My old HP-41 (that I still have) uses it, as does the HP-35S that I bought much later.
RPN kept the riffraff from borrowing your calculator in class. "Where is the = button??? How do you use this??? Ehh, never mind...."
RPN was easier to use IMHO, I found it easy to visualize when entering in a string.

Yep, I think RPN is the bomb...it's hard for me to use a "normal" calculator.
I remember when I was working at a French-Italian company and the software manuals for the US offices had clearly been translated from another language into English...one hilarious little tidbit mentioned that a calculator function used "Reverse Pollack Notation"!!
Whoops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back