Sears Sales (Points for Future Use) - Anyone?

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
I've been rolling this dice with Sears since I purchased a patio set for our new home in April, and then again when I purchased a pressure washer and a four-burner grill in May.

Points: received points equal in dollar value to the actual purchase price, paid out over twelve months. So, as a for instance, the very first purchase (patio set) cost me $308.40. Not a bad price, but not amazing. I now get $25.70/month over the next twelve months in points.

The second purchase (grill and pressure washer) was a decent price, but not a steal at $710.42 for both. But, I get almost $60/month back in points.

Caveats:
1. Points: expire in 30 days
2. Purchases: Must be sold by SEARS, and many don't offer free shipping. I have a Sears near me now, but if it had closed earlier this year, all of my recent "free" purchases would have been a lot less lucrative to me.

So far, I've purchased the following with points (either free or discounted, with negligible or no points given back to me for purchase):
1. 50' Craftsman Garden Hose: "free" ("free" henceforth be listed as free, without quotation)
2. Crafsman 22" 22oz Hatchet and 20" Bent-Handle Snow Shovel: $1.66 (after points used)
3. 65 gal Compost Bin: free
4. Craftsman Locking Pliers 3-pack: free
5. Rib Rack (for grilling): free
6. Sidewalk HD Ice Chopper, Grill Brush and two Stone Grill Cleaning Blocks: free
7. 6 gal Craftsman Pancake Compressor: $49.64
8. 5-pack Hanes Undies: free
9. 3-piece Craftsman Breaker Bars: free
10. 100-pack Stanley Box Cutter Blades and 1-gal Gas Container: free
11. X2 Craftsmen Magnetic Tray: free
12. X2 Safavieh Clayton Rocking Chairs: ~$100
13. B&S Surface Cleaner Power Washer Attachment: free

Just purchased (points for future use included):

1. Bowlfex SelectTech 552 Dumbells: $200.69 ($200 in points)
2. Craftsman ProSeries 28" Mower: $697.45 ($400 in points)
3. Craftsman 6" Bench Vise: $75 ($75 in points)

//

So, I feel that I've done well so far, considering the products I've purchased have been mostly very wanted, some needed, and very few are fluff purchases (e.g., magnetic tray and the bench vise I only mildly wanted)

If my Sears can make it until the end of the year, I'll consider all of my purchases to have been well-made. If I can use ALL OF MY POINTS over the next year, I'll consider the overall get a good bargain.

//

Anyone else taking the risk on Sears and taking advantage of the HUGE rewards points being offered!!!??? I don't gamble. This must be what gamblers feel when they roll the dice - a bit nerve-racking, but also kinda thrilling!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Use the points ASAP! Sears stock closed at .81 today and has a note due within a week. They are done.

Don't you say that!

I just used ~ $150 in points about an hr ago to buy one of the two rocking chairs I listed above.
I just put the first one together today, actually. It's nice, so I purchased the second one, so my wife and I will have a matching set on the porch.

//

I don't think I'll be making any other large purchases via Sears, JUST for the sake of GETTING more points, though, for exactly the reason you mention. The most recent purchases were very-want purchases, except for the bench vise...I just rooooolllled the dice on that one...

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Use the points ASAP! Sears stock closed at .81 today and has a note due within a week. They are done.

Yep. It's time for them to close up shop. Permanently.

Spend those points now.

I have been following their financial trend for a few years now. It does not look likely that they will be able to stay open much longer. Use the points pronto!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
What is SEARS?

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
What is SEARS?

Seniors Excited About Retail Shopping

What about the offers and points system? Any comments on how I'm doing?

I honestly find the prices I'm paying for the items to be fair. Add in the "free" stuff I've gotten on top of the purchases, it seems like I'm making out pretty well.

//

Also, a couple of additional thoughts:

1. No need to tell me to spend the points ASAP. They expire 14-30 days after showing up in my account. I let some overlap, if I want to use the rewards for something more expensive, like I did for the rocking chairs or pancake compressor

2. Not all of the point are split up in to 12 installments. I just purchased a Craftsman pneumatic impact set today for $75, and will receive $25/month over the next three months in points.
-----I've been wanting an impact set ever since I moved into a house with a garage late last year, and $75 isn't a bad deal.

3. For anyone interested, here's the impact set, which shows the offered rewards points. A mechanics ratchet set is also being offered for the same price/points back. Search sites like dealnews.com to keep up with what's being offered, if you're interested

Craftsman Pneumatic Impact Set

So if I had $25 coming into my account in three installments, what is a good commodity that I could get anywhere that's the same price at sears? Laundry detergent? One tire at a time? I wish they had a gas station, or maybe gift cards to amazon.
lol.gif

Are there multiple strings attached like I can't spend points on "super sales"?

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a desperate way to raise capital.
whistle.gif

Only thing that would be crazier is if they started selling their own gift cards at a discount.

Bought a pair of shoe's at my local Sears store in the mall. It was weird, very quiet. More employee's in the store than customer's.

Originally Posted by eljefino
So if I had $25 coming into my account in three installments, what is a good commodity that I could get anywhere that's the same price at sears? Laundry detergent? One tire at a time? I wish they had a gas station, or maybe gift cards to amazon.
lol.gif

Are there multiple strings attached like I can't spend points on "super sales"?

whistle.gif

Only thing that would be crazier is if they started selling their own gift cards at a discount.

The only string that seems to be attached, is that the product has be offered by Sears, not one if its affiliates or partners.
I have to change the filtered results from, "Sears and Marketplace" to just, "Sears", which will sometimes limit the results significantly.

If you've read anything recently about Sears and their "plan" going forward, you'd realize how right you are RE: liquidating assets...

I was thinking the same thing to myself recently RE: discounted gift cards. I wonder if I could use my points to purchase said hypothetical GC's, stock up, then buy something like a snow blower in a few months! lol

Originally Posted by eljefino
whistle.gif

Target sell their own gift cards at a discount every black friday (up to $300), I always load up.

Sears on the other hand, is now run by the CEO who wants it to go bankrupt so he can claim the real estates. His other holding company is the one that is lending to Sears right now, probably at super high interest rate, with the real estate as the collateral.

Sears has already gone out of business in Canada, they used to be HUGE here but they didn't keep up with the times and people shopped elsewhere.

Back