My new ride! 2003 Golf TDI 5MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a ‘09 Jetta TDI that is included in the VW emissions scandal. I decided to sell it back to VW because it has many issues for a car that has 120k. VW is obligated to pay me $13.3k for my ‘09. A deal too good to pass up.

So I bought this as a replacement. My new ‘03 Golf 4dr TDI 5MT. Found it on Craigslist a few hours after it was posted. Stumbled on it really as CL cars are usually junk so I don't check it very often.

Has ~ 160k. Very clean. Second owner has modified it but not in an extreme way.

[*]Bosio Power Plus 520 Nozzles
[*]Malone "torque bliss" stage 2 tune
[*]SMF conversion with south bend clutch
[*]Audi TT control arms and new bushings
[*]Audi TT short shift kit
[*]Koni adjustable struts and shine springs.
[*]Metal skid plate
[*]Euro headlights
[*]Other stuff I can't remember

I also got a roof rack and 3 gallons of Rotella T6 and 2 Gallons of Mobil TDT plus extra filters, wiper blades and extra parts.

Loving this car. Never driven a mechanical injection 8v 1.9 ALH but it's awesome! Has some clutch chatter from the SMF conversion. It has so much low end torque and is very happy at 2k rpm. Accelerates very strong up to 4K.

It's due for an oil change and fuel filter. Going to put in RLI 10w40 CJ-4 this week and a Bosch premium oil filter. Mann fuel filter as well.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
T6 is good oil, but I'm not sure I'd use it in a VW. They are usually very specific with their requirements and often barf when given the wrong stuff (and sometimes even with the correct stuff). And only filters from OE suppliers like Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and Purflux.

Stick to a good 502/505 or whatever VW requires for their pre-cheat box TDI cars.

What is SMF?

ALH was a good choice over a BEW car.

TDI club is the best forum for the TDIs, if you haven't made an account yet.

Loved my BEW and somehow avoided the dreaded cam issue. Was even better after it got a larger turbo and a chip and an SMF to handle it.

Slacktide, SMF = single mass flywheel. VW likes to use DMF / dual mass flywheel. Which like to fail. If you catch it early enough, no biggie, replace the flywheel. But you might as well upgrade the clutch while at it, as the stock clutch at times was marginal behind a stock motor. Let alone if you tune it... On my car I upgraded to a DMF before doing the turbo, and for some reason it was lighter and felt better than stock. Like feather light. Never slipped after the tune either.

Originally Posted by 901Memphis
They still haven't paid out all those old scandal cars yet? I thought that was all taken care of.

You've got to get it fixed (and receive your payment) or turn it in for the buyback, all before 12/31 this year.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
T6 is good oil, but I'm not sure I'd use it in a VW.

There are collectively several billion KMs on Rotella T6 in an ALH motor and a bit less than that in PDs, like mine. It is time proven to work well, as does Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck, Schaeffer 9000 or Amsoil DEO all 5w40s. No worries using T6 in any non-commonrail TDI.

Real nice score, CUN.
I almost bit on a scandal-ridden Passat TDI w/MT.
Huge fuel tank/range.
Gears allow for low, low RPM cruising.
Too many variables.
You played it smart.

03 is nice with the updated interior and rear beam bushings. I had a 2000 and had to replace the beam bushes, it sucked.

You look like you're rolling on stock (height) springs judging by that wheel gap. You would think the PO would have went for sport springs and corresponding struts, but whatever. You should get the Powerflex strut mounts, they really made my car feel different and reduced understeer. Dogbone bushing is another cheap upgrade that makes a huge difference in traction and shift feel. Your car might already have a dogbone if it has the TT bushings, but I would never put regular MK4 LCA bushings in, they are junk.

Remember to clean inside the fender behind the front wheel, and maybe consider some mud flaps.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
03 is nice with the updated interior and rear beam bushings. I had a 2000 and had to replace the beam bushes, it sucked.

You look like you're rolling on stock (height) springs judging by that wheel gap. You would think the PO would have went for sport springs and corresponding struts, but whatever. You should get the Powerflex strut mounts, they really made my car feel different and reduced understeer. Dogbone bushing is another cheap upgrade that makes a huge difference in traction and shift feel. Your car might already have a dogbone if it has the TT bushings, but I would never put regular MK4 LCA bushings in, they are junk.

Remember to clean inside the fender behind the front wheel, and maybe consider some mud flaps.

The suspension is upgraded. PO installed Koni adjustable struts and Shine springs. The suspension is set to stock ride height though, he didn't want it lowered. He also has Michelin A/S tires for the same reason. It has a firm ride and the steering feels great. I like the way it rides, and body roll is very minor.

I'm not sure what bushings were installed. Need to ask.

What is a dogbone bushing?

Why do I need to clean behind the front wheels?

Originally Posted by CleverUserName

The suspension is upgraded. PO installed Koni adjustable struts and Shine springs. The suspension is set to stock ride height though, he didn't want it lowered. He also has Michelin A/S tires for the same reason. It has a firm ride and the steering feels great. I like the way it rides, and body roll is very minor.

Even the ones that are oil sprayed here rot out there. Collects dirt and leaves and holds the moisture and rusts out. Mine was so packed with junk and rusted out that my fender moved back and was rubbing my driver's door. I think a lot of cars have this problem, but every MK4 rusts there or in the front wheel wells. Otherwise they are pretty corrosion resistant, as you can probably tell. If there is junk in there, you will understand why I suggested mud flaps.

Dogbone is the transmission stabilizer bushing. It goes from the transmission to the front subframe. If you put poly bushings in there it stops the trans from moving backwards when you launch, and made my shifting feel different when I installed it on a stick car. That has to be #1 suspension mod on a MK4 so I assume it has been done already, you should be able to tell if it has shiny poly bushings v dull black EPDM.

Both the dogbone and Powerflex strut mounts will make your car more responsive but a little more harsh. Hot rod! who cares!

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
Real nice score, CUN.
I almost bit on a scandal-ridden Passat TDI w/MT.
Huge fuel tank/range.
Gears allow for low, low RPM cruising.
Too many variables.
You played it smart.

Yes they've started selling these "fixed" mk6 and mk7 and Audi TDIs as CPO used cars. I've started seeing them for sale at the dealerships. Was considering buying a CPO Jetta Sportwagen but thought they were overpriced so I was looking at other options. Just stumbled on this nice little Golf last week.

Last edited:

Even the ones that are oil sprayed here rot out there. Collects dirt and leaves and holds the moisture and rusts out. Mine was so packed with junk and rusted out that my fender moved back and was rubbing my driver's door. I think a lot of cars have this problem, but every MK4 rusts there or in the front wheel wells. Otherwise they are pretty corrosion resistant, as you can probably tell. If there is junk in there, you will understand why I suggested mud flaps.

Dogbone is the transmission stabilizer bushing. It goes from the transmission to the front subframe. If you put poly bushings in there it stops the trans from moving backwards when you launch, and made my shifting feel different when I installed it on a stick car. That has to be #1 suspension mod on a MK4 so I assume it has been done already, you should be able to tell if it has shiny poly bushings v dull black EPDM.

Both the dogbone and Powerflex strut mounts will make your car more responsive but a little more harsh. Hot rod! who cares!

I'll check out the front fenders this week while it's on the lift for it's oil change. This is a CA car so there is no rust, we don't use road salt here. However there may be some debris so it could need cleaning

Also I'll look for the dogbone bushing while I'm there. Thanks for the advice.

I'll check out the front fenders this week while it's on the lift for it's oil change. This is a CA car so there is no rust, we don't use road salt here. However there may be some debris so it could need cleaning

Also I'll look for the dogbone bushing while I'm there. Thanks for the advice.
I mistakenly thought you were from Chicago. I must have looked at another poster's name, I was surprised at your car's condition being from Chicago! Forget what I said about corrosion.

That is one of the very best engines ever made if you ask me. I would be a lot richer today if i kept driving those ALH TDIs instead of buying new stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back