How to extract oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I ordered a UOA kit that has a tube and a syringe to get the oil from the dipstick,

My questions are:
1. Does the oil need to be hot, engine running, engine just switched off, or cold is fine?
2. If the tube does not go down the dipstick what is another way I can get to the oil without draining it?
Can I remove the oil filter and extract some oil from there?
Or can I remove the oil cap and try to get some from the head?
3. The kit came with a 30cc syringe and a 100ml or so canister. Is 30cc enough for the lab or must I fill the canister?

Engine warm not hot nor cold. Maybe sample an 30 mins or so after you've driven it. The idea is that any solids will remain uniformly distributed in the oil and not have settled at the bottom of the pan.

You could reach out to Blackstone Labs. They may have suggestions on how to sample.

When I do sampling and not complete changes at the time of a UOA collection, I like to make sure the vehicle has been run somewhere like shopping etc. I return home, let the vehicle cool a little and then I send the tube on my collection pump down the dipstick tube. I have found that lubricating the outside of the tube with clean engine oil makes it go down the tube much easier. I always dump the first bit of extracted oil back into the engine via the oil cap in case there was residuals in the tube/pump from the last extraction. Then on the second extraction I pump this into my bottle to be sent to the lab.

Just one more small suggestion: Mark the extraction tubing at a point where it equals the length of the dipstick. This will ensure you extract oil from a good midpoint and don't reach the bottom of the sump where crud could have settled and accumulated.

1. Does the oil need to be hot, engine running, engine just switched off, or cold is fine?
Answer per Blackstone: https://www.blackstone-labs.com/gas-sampling.php Answer per me: I take my samples from a hot, running engine; but I have bypass filters with a sampling petcock; it's pretty easy and mess free. I wear leather TIG welding gloves in case of accidental contact with hot engine parts. To sample from my son's car, (no petcock), I remove the oil filler cap (with the hot motor idling) and carefully insert the sampling tube into a "puddle" of oil in a low area cast into the cylinder head; it may take several "draws" and a few minutes to get enough oil for the sample bottle.

2. If the tube does not go down the dipstick what is another way I can get to the oil without draining it? Answer per me: You can also loosen the oil filter a little and catch some oil, I've done this with a clean spare glass beaker and then poured it into the sampling bottle, but I would NOT attempt this on a running engine!!! I let the engine run long enough to reach equilibrium temperature; chock, jack and support the car, then shut the engine down and immediately get my sample. Job 1 is to be very cautious, be safe, don't get burned. A splash in the face with hot oil is not funny; I wear safety glasses, a full face polycarbonate grinding shield and a leather welding jacket. Never been burned and don't plan on it. Who does?

3. The kit came with a 30cc syringe and a 100ml or so canister. Is 30cc enough for the lab or must I fill the canister? Answer: Blackstone says they need 3 oz; which works out to about 90 ml. https://www.conversion-metric.org/volume/ounce-to-milliliter

For large industrial engines the sump is a no-no and samples are taken from the cooler loop (sample valve) …

Do you think I can get a sample from the dipstick tube on a CVT? I think the tube makes a right angled turn at the attachment to the transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back