03 Honda S2000 w/Amsoil 0W-30 40K OCI w/Bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my latest UOA for my 2003 Honda S2000 with 40,157 mile OCI and 393,467 total miles on my car. I have an Amsoil dual remote bypass filter installed, as well as a prelube pump that pre-pressurizes the oil before I start the car. I've had this setup in my car since it was almost new.
[Linked Image]

As you can see the lead spiked up this time. I'm not sure exactly what caused this, but I suspect it was caused by a bad coil pack. I was traveling when one of my coil packs malfunctioned and I had to drive a few hundred miles with the check engine light to get home and replace it. Not a smart move, but I didn't have a choice. The car still runs great and besides the increased oil consumption, the car runs great.

Holy smoke, thats a long oci. High lead can come from high amount unburnd fuel getting into the oil.
But the oil did very good indeed for a 40k oci.

You should probably stop using Amsoil it's a shady company hiding behind their marketing and it's not worth the hype. That lead is a result of that and you probably could have went 100,000 mile on some other oil in a bypass setup. I joke because others on here would think that...
lol.gif

Excellent report for the mileage on the engine, time on the lube and the problem you had during this report. I look forward to the next report. Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
You should probably stop using Amsoil it's a shady company hiding behind their marketing and it's not worth the hype. That lead is a result of that and you probably could have went 100,000 mile on some other oil in a bypass setup. I joke because others on here would think that...
lol.gif

Excellent report for the mileage on the engine, time on the lube and the problem you had during this report. I look forward to the next report. Thanks for posting.
thumbsup2.gif

Agree with you 100%! High reving engine and almost 400k miles with long oci. Well thats a high quality oil indeed!

Seems to work for me and others on this board and we aren't running bypass on our units either. Maybe in 10 years the mindset here will change...
wink.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing.

I'd be worried about the increased oil consumption more than the lead level. You technically changed oil at least 4 times during this 40k OCI. Seems like the consumption has been doubled in the last 80000 miles. Maybe it's time to replace PCV and switch to 0w40?

Goodness gracious that's a lot of makeup oil added. Crazy to think that just 200,000 miles ago it was only consuming 5.5 qts over the same OCI.
lol.gif

Any plans to rebuild the block or do you plan to keep er spinning till 1,000,000 miles?

40k interval with nearly 400k miles? I'm impressed.

I don't imagine a Honda oil change being too difficult so the max interval I'd opt for is probably close to 10k miles. bypass setup sounds interesting.

Originally Posted by SnowDrifter
Might I ask what you're using for a prelube pump?

HE IS USING A SHUR-FLO 2088-343-135 12V PUMP

Noticing 22 qts of make-up oil in 40k miles. Was that drawn off, or does the engine burn that? In either case, that would definitely keep good oil in there.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Noticing 22 qts of make-up oil in 40k miles. Was that drawn off, or does the engine burn that? In either case, that would definitely keep good oil in there.

Just a qt every 2k miles. I've seen worse.

Originally Posted by dgunay
Thanks for sharing.

I'd be worried about the increased oil consumption more than the lead level. You technically changed oil at least 4 times during this 40k OCI. Seems like the consumption has been doubled in the last 80000 miles. Maybe it's time to replace PCV and switch to 0w40?

PCV valves i would check first too

40K miles OCI is impressive! Curious what made decide to run 40k OCI? Maybe you can post a picture of your pump and the bypass filters, would be interesting to see your set up.

When I installed this setup over fourteen years ago there were few 0W-30 motor oils on the market, and Amsoil's Signature Series 0W-30 showed to retain a high TBN better than all others in the hundreds of UOAs I pored through. There are a lot more 0W-30 synthetics on the market now, but I still haven't seen one that holds its TBN better than Amsoil's 0W-30. Since I have extended my OCIs to 40,000 miles, the TBN is by far the biggest concern I have. This oil has proven to hold up to my extremely long OCIs, and I didn't want to be the Guinea Pig to find out which other oils might have an add pack that is "good enough".

I'm using a 0W-30 because I needed the lowest cold-temp viscosity I could get since the prelube pump has to pressurize my system. A 10W or 5W-30 on really cold mornings would potentially not flow through a diaphragm pump like the Shur-Flo pump I'm using. Linctex identified my pump correctly, however this pump has been discontinued and was replaced by Shur-Flo 2088-343-435.

Now that I'm burning a lot more oil, I could get away with a different brand of oil with a less robust add-pack, but I believe that "If it ain't broke....." My car runs great and I don't see any blue smoke or soot on my back bumper. I replaced the PCV valve recently and had no improvement in oil consumption. And since my oil consumption decreases significantly right after an oil change (and gets worse with more miles on the oil) I suspect that the accumulated soot is sticking my oil rings.

Keep in mind this is a Honda S2000 F20C engine. It is prone to burn oil and my current oil consumption levels are quite typical for this engine. Sure, 22 quarts sounds like a lot but it's similar to adding 1 quart make-up oil in a 3000 mile OCI. My goal is to make it to 500,000 miles without any major engine work. According to S2KI and other websites mine is already the highest mileage S2000 on record.

Here is my setup: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=34&Number=762080

Have you thought about using the Amsoil Flush product in the crank case to clean up the rings? You would need to temporarily disable your bypass setup for this. Also the P.I. fuel additive which is quite strong cleaning up the fuel system and might have a further effect on the rings. Just a thought seeing as you tried the obvious PCV.

When you're adding 22 quarts of fresh oil in your OCI, I don't think TBN retention is going to be a problem no matter what oil you use (I'm not trying to convince you to switch, just pointing out the fact that I doubt you'd reach the danger zone TBN wise with any synthetic 0w30 you ran in here)

I wouldn't worry about the consumption, if it were my S2k. Considering the miles on the clock, this engine is holding up amazing and it would be awesome to see it clock 500k of PROPER ENJOYMENT. The same can't be said for other garage queens who barely see pavement.... sad.

OP, I say you keep it up till 500k. Then put the block on eBay as a "low mileage engine with only 50k on it". Forget that last zero. Haha.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Seems to work for me and others on this board and we aren't running bypass on our units either. Maybe in 10 years the mindset here will change...
wink.gif

I ran a bypass filter in the 1980s because a friend was an Amsoil dealer . Not really worth it for the 99.99% of us.
I met a guy with over 400,000 miles running Amsoil oil and filters doing 25,000 mile oil change intervals on a Nissan pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back