Concerned about this filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

This cartridge filter came from rock Auto few years ago. It looks and feels very well constructed. My concern Is that there is no space between pleats in the the center. Dunno if oil will flow through well enough. It's supposed to be a champion filter from Firestone close out. Will it go into bypass or can the oil flow through.

Looks like a good filter! Close spacing gives you more sq.in. of filter area=greater filtering capacity. Use proper weight oil and it'll flow just fine.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
So you think that the spaces between the pleats are smaller than the pores in the actual filter media?

Or think that the contact between the pleats is so tight that it's actually going to "seal" flow from a PD oil pump. No worries.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
[Linked Image]

This cartridge filter came from rock Auto few years ago. It looks and feels very well constructed. My concern Is that there is no space between pleats in the the center. Dunno if oil will flow through well enough. It's supposed to be a champion filter from Firestone close out. Will it go into bypass or can the oil flow through.

Why aren't you naming this filter-brand? If it seems too restrictive to you, then call it a mistake-buy and throw it in your city recycle bin - or better-yet, donate it to a Needy Center near you.

Yes, it looks too restrictive to me. I've thrown FramUltra spin-ons away - after having startup and flow problems. So I would have no qualms about getting rid of this one too.

Buy another that has looser pleating. We have at least one member here that have used the least pleats oil filters like PepBoy Proline, and still achieved 400K with them. Oil filtering these days is not as necessary as yesteryear. Engines do far-less sludging and have far less contamination issues that in decades past. Basic $3-$4 oil filters will get the job done. It's just up to us to time our OCIs correctly.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Ablebody
[Linked Image]

Why aren't you naming this filter-brand? If it seems too restrictive to you, then call it a mistake-buy and throw it in your city recycle bin - or better-yet, donate it to a Needy Center near you.

Yes, it looks too restrictive to me. I've thrown FramUltra spin-ons away - after having startup and flow problems. So I would have no qualms about getting rid of this one too.

Buy another that has looser pleating. We have at least one member here that have used the least pleats oil filters like PepBoy Proline, and still achieved 400K with them. Oil filtering these days is not as necessary as yesteryear. Engines do far-less sludging and have far less contamination issues that in decades past. Basic $3-$4 oil filters will get the job done. It's just up to us to time our OCIs correctly.

I think it's a champion made filter.

It could also Siam made (FULL brand), OE supplier from Thailand for Denso etc. The lack of space in the center could be the W arrangement they use for their filters.
I cut one open a couple years ago. Still using them (ran about 4 I think) and they come out undisturbed every time.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Filter for our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l . You can compare .

Yeah yours has space between pleats on both sides.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Hengst I use on the Cruze

Cool
Originally Posted by SirTanon
So you think that the spaces between the pleats are smaller than the pores in the actual filter media?

Good point. I guess because the pleats are all pressed together is why I'm not sure

Originally Posted by jetmech1
Looks like a good filter! Close spacing gives you more sq.in. of filter area=greater filtering capacity. Use proper weight oil and it'll flow just fine.

Yeah ill be using 5w30 for next change. I'm tempted to just use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back