What are your considerations in buying a vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
"What did you buy that for?" My reply was, I wanted it.

thumbsup2.gif

My main considerations are, I want what I want. I'm not buying for fuel economy, I never have. I want something I deem dependable, and good looking. I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I heard a few comments from acquaintances when I bought my JK Rubicon: "What did you buy that for?" My reply was, I wanted it.

This pretty much sums up how I go about it.

Originally Posted by spasm3
I'm surprised no one has said, ease of service.

Well I did when commenting on my first oil change … I knew the 2018 Chevy truck would have easy access since our 2017 Tahoe is so similar …
As for price I was looking for a weird configuration and many would say I paid too much …

My main considerations are, I want what I want. I'm not buying for fuel economy, I never have. I want something I deem dependable, and good looking. I really don't care what anyone else thinks. I heard a few comments from acquaintances when I bought my JK Rubicon: "What did you buy that for?" My reply was, I wanted it.

^^^^^^^
smile.gif

Cost, Reliability, True cost of ownership, Ease of maintenance, Brand record and comfort for my bad back.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Did anyone mention resale value?
For me, quality is #1.

The other end of the coin is if I can get someone else to eat 90% of the new cost, it won't depreciate under my ownership.

I don't think anyone wants to catch a falling knife.

I would feel weird leaving $20,000 at the park n ride every day.

Originally Posted by Boomer

1. Long term dependability.
2. Value for the money spent.
3. Corrosion resistant/longevity
4. Safety
5. Fun to drive
6. Styling (still think the Studebaker Avanti was one very sharp car!)
7. Amenities (I am an older guy. I'm not really into a lot of the electronics but use some of them if available)
8. Color
"ease of maintenance".

1A Ride comfort first, then:
2. Value for the money spent.
1. Long term dependability.
6. Styling
8. Color
5. Fun to drive
7. Amenities
"ease of maintenance"
4. Safety
3. Corrosion resistant/longevity

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Zee09
In the old days I bought what I liked visually.
Today it has to work well for my needs and I will avoid cars that are hard to service at home.
I am not a greenie but I don't like gas guzzlers or paying far to much for brand prestige.

I no longer care. My first consideration is can I drive in this car for more than an hour without it
feeling like a torture chamber. Nice seats and dislike the center console stealing your leg room.

I HATE- yes hate excessive wind and road noise. On a long trip that wears you out and frustrates you to no end.

Same here. Comfort. Pleasant visually. Powerful enough to merge in traffic without drama.

Speaking about "fuel economy"... I always wondered... A teacher teaches, a painter paints, a driver drives, but what is it that an ecologist does? What's the verb for it?

Headroom/fit. I have a tall seating height and am not small, it must be large enough inside.

4WD/AWD. Where I live and travel I wouldn't be without it.

Capability. It has to be able to do the things I need.

Reliability.

No red cars.

1. RWD
2. Handling/Braking
3. Acceleration(especially 60-100 mph)
4. Seating(Sport or Recaro)
5. HID/LED Headlamps
6. Decent audio
7. Hands-free BT
8. Reliability
9. No hole in the roof

For me a new vehicle purchase is simple. First I decide what type of vehicle I want. Then I decide if power or fuel mileage is the flavor of the week. Once that is decided I look what pleases me visually. Then comes the most important part. Interior. Since 100% of my time driving the car will be inside that is the most important part. The interior needs to suit me to a T. Comfort, layout, color and features must be meet. And as many "luxury" features as I can get. Pretty simple actually

Don

A great deal.
Able to fit wheelchair.
Still has warranty.
I keep until repairs are to much to repair or to much hassle to repair. Cars have no value when I get rid of them so I hand to dealer for 500.

#1 Not a new Ford, so I don't have to deal with the idiots at the "stealership"
#2 Not ridiculously overpriced (rules out all new pickups, pretty much)
#3 Either has to be able to carry 4 fullsize adults, and/or tow at least 5000 pounds
#4 Reliable, preferably easy to work on without a supercomputer factory scanner
#5 Mileage (not a deal breaker)
#6 Parts availability
Dead last-a warranty (that requires a trip to #1)!

A
Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by SonofJoe
Fuel economy, fuel economy & fuel economy!

Have just done 546 miles on 32 litres (8.45 US gallons) of unleaded. Result!

Fuel economy - in general - has an inverse relationship to safety in a crash.
Another consideration of mine.

And safety in a crash includes the [censored] thing rolling over (which is the most common source of death)
which excempts most all 4wds and 1 ton box on frame vans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back