Need recommendation on oil for my Honda lawnmower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all, this is my first post. I just bought a Honda HR215 mower which has the commercial grade motor in it. It's used but in good shape. I'm going to change the oil as part of it's tune up. The manual calls for a premium high detergent 4 stroke oil. It recommends 10w30 but also notes i can run 10w40 or 20w50 if the temperatures match the chart given in the manual. I live in a fairly hot climate which reaches 30 degrees in the summer. I bought a case of Chevron Delo 15w40 for my dirtbike bottom end. Could i use this oil in my mower, or is it too thick at start-up? I know the diesel oils have a high detergent factor. The manual says that using a non detergent oil will shorten the life of the mower. I want this mower to last. Can you guys help? thanks,

Mike

havoline has a lot of moly and does reall well... Honda engines seem to like moly... seems like a good fit.

Amsoil diesel grade 30/10w-30 (it classifies for both) is my choice after breakin of honda and robin engines on havoline or pennzoil dino.

Delo 15w-40 is a good oil for this appication too. I dont know if 15w-40 is actually overkill viscsity wise... and for me, I like the syn oil choice.

BTW, this should really be in the lawn and small engine forum, and will likely get moved there.

JMH

:welcome

I have a chinese honda clone on a generator that I run Supertech full synth 5w-30 in. I run this in all of my lawn mowers. Air-cooled engines love full synthetic and it's not too expensive.

I think this stuff is called Tech2000 in Canada.

except that its not real full syn
smile.gif

JMH

The delo 15w40 is not too thick at all for your mower. I used havoline 20w50 in my honda mower and changed it usually once in the spring and again one time during the summer.

Ok, thanks guys. I'm going to try and run my Delo 15w40 for a month or two, then change it out and see how it goes. I might even change it sooner since i don't know how it was maintained in the past. Good forum here. Thanks for all the help. Any other suggestions i've got open ears. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back