My first car accident... xB may be totaled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 10 years young and 150K miles, I think my 2008 xB may have just been totaled from an accident that occurred a few hours ago.

2 or 3 drivers in front of me start slowing down as someone was turning left into a business on a single lane roadway. As I slowed down, at about 5-10mph I was slammed from behind. Driver had to be moving quite quickly given the impact, road was 35mph speed limit. The impact caused me to bump the driver in front of me unfortunately. Airbags did not go off on the driver behind me, so perhaps it wasn't as fast as I'd think.

Damage to car in front of me was minimal, only a dent caused by the bolt holding my license plate holder… Otherwise, no real damage I can see. My hood and everything was still flush and all that good stuff.

Back of my car, not so lucky. Hatch bent in, bumper pushed up, rear panels dented and didn't even attempt to open either rear door… Not sure they will. Officer thinks that they will total the car given how the damage is, but who knows (i'm not a good judge of that). I think the frame may have some damage given how it crumpled (note the dent on the top of the c-pillar). Driver that hit me was prob in his mid-20's as a guess with his grandma (or so I think) as a passenger. He was OK I think, but she got injured by the seat belt I guess and police called an ambulance to check her out. When I went to go see if they were ok, the driver just kind of mumbled. Thought it was weird, maybe just shock, but when the cops went to talk to him, I heard the officer say a few times "what? I can't hear you". So who knows what was up there... I'd hope with his grandma or whomever riding shotgun that no alcohol/drugs involved and just in shock by what happened.

Guy in front of me initially thought I was the only one involved… When I went to check to see if him and his wife were OK, he immediately claimed his back hurts really bad and I was probably on my F'in cell phone (his words…). I explained to him that I was hit hard and it caused me to hit him. Eventually he got out and realized it wasn't my fault and was more pleasant and his wife was very friendly. Police showed up within a few minutes of me calling right after it occurred, took the reports and all the information. Police were all friendly (I think 3 or 4 showed up).

So not a good Friday… Was really hoping to take that xB to 200K+ but now it just may be scrapped ☹ Most importantly, no serious injuries we know of. My girlfriend and I hit our heads pretty good on the head rests and my seat angle even went down a few notches post-crash… Hoping that no back/neck issues arise, so for sure will pay close attention to that the next few days. Another bummer is the 2 dozen eggs I had from the store on my backseat didn't make it...
crazy2.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Sorry to hear, glad everyone is seemingly ok. I was rear ended two Fridays ago, though not as severely as you were. Keep a close eye on your neck & back, those injuries can really fester and come on without much notice. It's frustrating and annoying when it happens, but remember, cars can be replaced. Hope all ends up well. Good luck.

Totaled fo sheezy! Look at the door jamb!
Originally Posted by xBa380
Guy in front of me initially thought I was the only one involved… When I went to check to see if him and his wife were OK, he immediately claimed his back hurts really bad and I was probably on my F'in cell phone (his words…). I explained to him that I was hit hard and it caused me to hit him. Eventually he got out and realized it wasn't my fault and was more pleasant and his wife was very friendly. Police showed up within a few minutes of me calling right after it occurred, took the reports and all the information. Police were all friendly (I think 3 or 4 showed up).
Buddy trying to ride a low speed collision to a big insurance payout and a lifetime on disability, what a class act.

It's definitely totaled.

However, if you're ok with not having a perfect car, you can buy it back from the insurance company, do some minor repairs to get the bumper attached better, and take it for inspection and get a salvage title and keep on going.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Very sorry to hear. Metro Toyota Body Shop on Brookpark road is very good. They took care of two accidents for my family members(not their fault). But I'd trust them to determine if it's totaled or not. Where did this happen?

https://www.metrotoyota.com/service-center/collision-center.htm

Middleburg Heights, right by Rivals.

Touch of Class is right around the corner from my house, if Geico decides to even get an estimate. Supposedly they will come inspect first and decide... So we shall see. My brother works at a Toyota dealership, so likely that is where I will be going due to deals/discounts, but sadly no cars really appeal to me at the moment (from anybody). Given that im 6'6", that narrows down my comfort-level in most cars... The xB was the best! Had it since new, bought in 2007 while in college.

Last edited:
That should pull out. The trouble is that left that way, a much softer hit would fold it up again. What passes for structure has to strengthened

Wow-this is almost exactly what happened to my wife in my xB-she was stopped at a redlight & got rear ended by a guy in a Transit Connect fumbling with his cell phone. Over $6K in damage, but it got fixed. Fortunately my wife was OK, but the person she got pushed into in front of her (& barely tapped) in a bigger car (newer xB like the OPs) claimed back injuries, etc. Not sure if the at-fault insurer ever paid them for their (trumped up) claim or not.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Very sorry to hear. Metro Toyota Body Shop on Brookpark road is very good. They took care of two accidents for my family members(not their fault). But I'd trust them to determine if it's totaled or not. Where did this happen?

https://www.metrotoyota.com/service-center/collision-center.htm

Middleburg Heights, right by Rivals.

Touch of Class is right around the corner from my house, if Geico decides to even get an estimate. Supposedly they will come inspect first and decide... So we shall see. My brother works at a Toyota dealership, so likely that is where I will be going due to deals/discounts, but sadly no cars really appeal to me at the moment (from anybody). Given that im 6'6", that narrows down my comfort-level in most cars... The xB was the best! Had it since new, bought in 2007 while in college.

I'm in kind of the same boat with my '05 xB-kids are moose sized like me, don't really fit in any other small car. I was actually looking for a 1st gen southern xB to transplant my drivetrain into, because I was sure it would be totaled (fortunately not).

sadly no cars really appeal to me at the moment (from anybody). Given that im 6'6", that narrows down my comfort-level in most cars... The xB was the best! Had it since new, bought in 2007 while in college.

Looks like there are just a few certified pre-owned xB's left on autotrader. Maybe you should go for one of those since you liked it so much.

Wow what a shame. That's a nice xB as well. You can see damage by the rear doors too. It is very likely the frame is bad. Don't risk it. Safety is #1. Glad to hear you are ok.

It's wrecked. They don't straighten C-pillars. Your rear suspension geometry will have changed. These are cheap enough they'll replace it with a similar one.

Originally Posted by eljefino
It's wrecked. They don't straighten C-pillars. Your rear suspension geometry will have changed. These are cheap enough they'll replace it with a similar one.

+1

Note to self: never make a username based on what car I currently drive.

Dude you got pushed into seems like a real piece of work. I have personally dealt with the type, much to my chagrin over the past several years.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

Note to self: never make a username based on what car I currently drive.

words of wisdom

Originally Posted by eljefino
They don't straighten C-pillars.

That is the opposite of the truth. But the car is still a total
frown.gif

Even though my username has xB in it, that car will forever live on as my favorite!! So no shame there lol

So once I got home I did a closer inspection and my passenger side hood did push in ever so slightly (seams not flush between hood and front panels). Passenger read door won't open, driver side will. About the only new things Ive noticed.

Some slight neck soreness today on the side, but I honestly think it will be fine.

Talked with my brother who works at a Toyota dealership, as I expect that day is coming. Likely pickup a Camry SE hybrid when the 19s roll in... At the very least, it will be nice to double my MPG with a new car (average 24ish with xB with my commute). Bumping up to around 45 will be welcome. Having driven (2016 or 2017) an older non SE prior my parents had, I do enjoy it. I fit, as well lol

Last edited:
Some slight neck soreness today on the side, but I honestly think it will be fine.

It would be prudent to go to your doctor just to have it on record. My wife has suffered tremendously from a car accident 10 years ago and I cannot begin to tell you how important it is to have a paper trail.

I wish you the best and that you suffer no negative health issues from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back