Castrol Edge 10w40 -- 1,555 miles -- 2001 Toyota Celica GT-S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Castrol EDGE 10w40 high mileage with Titanium (SN formula) was used. This is the 4th interval with this oil.

Still checking on the health of the engine, since there was concerns of coolant contamination. Looks like the high sodium is decreasing, so I'm happy.

Thinking of extending the interval a bit, just to see how much thinner I can make this 10w40 when it drains out, although I don't like the increased engine TICK that starts to show up as the oil ages and obviously thins down... ah decisions decisions.
35.gif

9:19:18 Celica.jpg

Last edited:
It sure does thin out pretty quickly! I think M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40 would be the better choice, both of these should hold their viscosity better than this.

Yea but I'd have to go buy it, and pay retail. I still have like 4-5 oil change worth of this Castrol Edge 10w40 high mileage that I got for $2 a quart that needs to be used up (not counting the 300+ quarts of other oil in my stash).

If I needed a stronger oil, I'd definitely use something else. This oil just isn't able to keep it's composure in the tiny high revving 1.8L. Haha. I'm really tempted to try a 3,000 mile run to see if it will shear into a w20 grade. Hmmmm....

Sodium might be coming in through the air filter, from ocean spray (Florida).
I'm amazed at how thin it got. That's a 30 weight now. A full syn 10w40 shouldn't even need that much VII chemicals, as a % of the brew.
... We see 0w40's do this, but they are often heavy on the VII to support kv100.

Hmmmm... but non of my other cars show higher then normal sodium, so I doubt it's from the sea salt in the air. Although I'm close to the ocean, this car doesn't go to the beach. My Mazda 3 does and that car shows 3-4ppm of sodium in the reports. It's gotta be something else.

I'm surprised at the shearing. I thought an A3/B4 spec oil was designed for long OCI's and would stay in grade. What am I missing here? I have a bunch of it from the AZ clearance that I was planning to run in the 240s.

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back