Kitchen disasters,

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need this thread. So...fess up. Be it inedible food, a massive mess, the fire department showing up, or getting the LOOK from your wife/husband/mother/grandmother for bringing the wrong thing.

College...first time cooking rice.

I failed to turn the burner down to low; about 10 minutes later my roommate comes in laughing, "Hey, your rice is on fire". Very dark brown smoke billowing up from the pan...quenched with water, all the windows open in a cold November, ventilated the house awhile then inspected the pan. It now had rice-based concrete on the bottom, couldn't even break it loose with a screwdriver.

We threw that pan out the window. Didn't try cooking rice again for awhile.

edit: and no alcohol involved!!!
shocked2.gif

Last edited:
Just retired. Flew to Vegas, 1st nite before a drive to Moab, Utah to spend a several days at He ll's Revenge, etc. Dangerous, no. But the Vegas Hotel had a full kitchen and I wanted to make some tea, wife found a tea kettle. Now, i've never used one, but how hard could it..so it was boiling it's [censored] off and i went to pour it on the tea bags. It's coming out of the whistle hole slowly..I tilt it up some more...and the [censored] lid comes off....I want to let it go but I KNOW I have to set it down or I'm gonna be wearing that boiling water. F#%K...I set it down and ran cold water on my hand. Barely a burn, but man, that was close to 2nd or 3rd degree sh it. Of course the wife was in the shower the whole time.....
Spent my working life in some of the most dangerous acid plants and refineries and retired with no injuries.......go figure.

Last edited:
Coworkers mom had advancing dementia and they were slow to deal with it. She decided to do a thanksgiving turkey. She put a 18lb frozen bird into 500 degree oven. She didn't even unwrap it - straight from the freezer to the oven. When they arrived at her house to take her out to a buffet (which was the original plan) the house was full of billowing smoke. Luckily, no fire. She was put into a facility the next week.

Set a pot of water to boil, phone rang and I got side-tracked. Ended up outside looking for something and decided to get in the car and go to the store to buy what I was looking for. Came back about 1ish hours later and the pot had run out of water and was glowing hot and had welded itself to the electric heating element in the stove. The house had a horrific smell of molten metal. Had to open all the windows and doors.

Still to this day I glance at the stove before I walk out the front door and I will drive back to the house if I think I left the coffee maker or similar turned on.

Last edited:
Back in college. I get off the campus bus and the bus stop near my apartment and see fire trucks in the parking lot. See one of my roommates, Don, that I didn't like, getting on the bus. We exchange pleasantries. I get closer and see the complex has been evacuated. Lots of people crumbling and complaining. As I get closer, I see my other roommate and ask what's up. He is livid. He tells me he was cooking something and asked Don to watch it while he went to the bathroom. Don watched it burn and set off the smoke detectors. And then Don walked to the bus stop while chaos ensued. The firefighters let us back in our apartment, eventually. The rest of the complex was mad as us the rest of the year.

We got even with Don, though. A little while later, my roommate and I are walking through the parking lot at night and he says, hey, isn't that Don's car? I said it was. He proceeds to kick his doors and fenders and everything else in on the car. It was little ecobox pos. The next day, Don gets in my face and accuses me of damaging his car. I deny it. Don doesn't believe me but my other roommate, comes to my defense. "I was with Leo the entire night and I swear to God that he didn't touch your car." it was the truth and Don believed him.

When I was a little kid,our parents left my sister and I alone at home for the first time one night (I think they had a dinner party to go to). We insisted we were old enough to not need an embarrassing babysitter,so we got our wish. I decided I wanted to cook myself a snack,so I dumped a jar of sliced mushrooms into a frying pan,and turned the burner up full blast. Those things totally burned up and filled the whole house with smoke!! My sister and I opened up every window and door in the house to de-smoke it,and got the older kid from across the street to help us. Well,when our parents got home,we got the griping out of a lifetime!! And what they said still sticks with me to this day,"Never cook on full blast!!" Haha
laugh.gif

I won't go into the chemistry set disaster from when I was probably 7 or 8,to which they never found out haha!

Dad left a pot of cooking oil on the electric stove, burner lit. Forgot about it. I woke up to a house fire about 2 am. Kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom destroyed. Figure $200k damage on a $500k house in today's dollars.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Dad left a pot of cooking oil on the electric stove, burner lit. Forgot about it. I woke up to a house fire about 2 am. Kitchen, dining room, living room, bathroom destroyed. Figure $200k damage on a $500k house in today's dollars.

Lucky you weren't killed. Yikes!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Leo99
Back in college. I get off the campus bus and the bus stop near my apartment and see fire trucks in the parking lot. See one of my roommates, Don, that I didn't like, getting on the bus. We exchange pleasantries. I get closer and see the complex has been evacuated. Lots of people crumbling and complaining. As I get closer, I see my other roommate and ask what's up. He is livid. He tells me he was cooking something and asked Don to watch it while he went to the bathroom. Don watched it burn and set off the smoke detectors. And then Don walked to the bus stop while chaos ensued. The firefighters let us back in our apartment, eventually. The rest of the complex was mad as us the rest of the year.

We got even with Don, though. A little while later, my roommate and I are walking through the parking lot at night and he says, hey, isn't that Don's car? I said it was. He proceeds to kick his doors and fenders and everything else in on the car. It was little ecobox pos. The next day, Don gets in my face and accuses me of damaging his car. I deny it. Don doesn't believe me but my other roommate, comes to my defense. "I was with Leo the entire night and I swear to God that he didn't touch your car." it was the truth and Don believed him.

Your crazy roommate belongs in prison.

I would like to know how many house fires have been avoided due to the microwave. As in drunk 3am cooking.........

Just remembered-went over to see (80 year old) parents. Horrible burnt smell, Pop with a odd grin.........oatmeal in a mw minus any water will get your full attention.

RIP Pop. You taught me so much.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by rubberchicken

Lucky you weren't killed. Yikes!
crazy2.gif

It was quite a while ago. I believe we did not even have smoke detectors at the time, which [censored] the fire fighters off. A lot went wrong that night, but no serious injuries.

When about 20 years ago when I was a kid, my grandma was doing dishes before work one morning. She put a cast iron skillet with some water in it on the stove on high heat to loosen it up and clean it. She forgot about it and left for work. The kitchen, dining room, and living room completely burned.

She's still got the cast iron skillet though!

Easter dinner today...and Mom reminded me of some.

I was about 8, putting a large bowl of tomato sauce in the microwave. (Which was a fairly new thing, then.) I tripped over something, and the bowl managed a perfect 360 degree flip before landing upright. (In hindsight, the cleanup would have been much easier if it had flipped over.) SPLAT! 2 jars of tomato sauce all over the kitchen (and me, and my brother, and my mother, and my sister). Did I mention that my brother and I both were wearing white T-shirts? After my mother stopped laughing, we cleaned up the mess (there was even sauce on the ceiling light!), added a jar to the bowl to replace what had gone everywhere, and were only about half an hour late eating dinner.

The stain never did come out of the window shade, though...it had a faint red spot until the day it was replaced. The shirts were totally stain-free after an overnight soak in a bucket of cold water to which my mother had added half a cup of Woolite and 3 trays of ice and a run through the laundry.

Visiting Mom, she was making shepherd's pie. She asked me to bring a couple cucumbers and 2 pounds of meat, because all hers was in the -10 freezer. So, I hit Walmart...the regular cucumbers were waxed, so I bought half a dozen mini-cucumbers (which went over well) and 2 of the prepackaged 1lb tubes of meat (which did not). Initially, my mother thought I'd bought sausage. Then, she noted I'd misread them: one was the correct 85% lean meat. The other was the world's greasiest ground beef...labeled 73% lean, she insisted (and I believe her) it was 65-70, tops. (She wound up draining the grease off twice.) Despiote that, it turned out quite nicely.

Making spaghetti for 6 people, she asked me to get a large jar of sauce. Well, the large jars weren't all that large for six...so, I got a large can of sauce instead. Actually, no, I got an enormous can of sauce. I brought home a #10 can of (store brand, nothing added to it-no meat, spices, etc.) pasta sauce. After about 5 seconds of staring at it, she rolled her eyes. I noted what was in the can would resemble what was served only slightly...which she did agree with. She then handed me the can opener and told me to get going.

Wife reminded me of this one: I had just opened a new can of pineapple juice, poured it into a pitcher. Drank one small glass, went to put it away…and dropped it. Pitcher split, dumping most of a quart and a half of pineapple juice all over the kitchen floor. What a sticky mess…wound up mopping the floor three times in two days to clean it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back