Excessive fuel dilution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested in a possible new Acura RDX vehicle. My research however; seemed to demonstrate that HONDA turbo DI engines are known to develop considerable fuel dilution, especially in cold cold weather. The few UOAs that I have seen have not shown excessive wear even with fairly high fuel in the oil. BLACKSTONE LABS put the red flag up when fuel dilution exceeds 2.0%. Do other oil testing labs put a flag up at some fuel dilution level? I do hope HONDA has corrected this issue for the need 2.0 DI turbo in the RDX. Ed

I just talked to Amsoil because that is what I am using in my new 2018 Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6T and they said their dump point is 5% fuel dilution. That means 4% to 4.5% to me. I live in Minneapolis, and short trip to work and around town. I have a 10 pack of basic UVA from Polaris Labs so I can monitor this winter and see were I am at with Fuel dilution.

The 2.0 is a multi port injection system, whereas the 1.5 is a direct injection. The direct injection engine has the fuel dilution problem. I just bought a 18 CR V with the 1.5 turbo and had a long talk with my salesman that I've used over the past 10 plus years and bought about 5 from his so far. He didn't try and cover it up and admitted that there can be some fuel dilution issues especially quick trips whereas the engine doesn't stay at operating temperature long enough, especially during cold weather. He said he hasn't heard of any issues like that here in Oklahoma, but we have zilch public transportation and everything around here is spread out meaning the cars on the road longer than say if you lived in a big metroplex up north. Being that you live in Florida, I wouldn't worry about the cold weather issue, just take a nice drive every couple of weeks or so. Wife and I both have a 45 minute one way commute every day so I ain't worried about that for us.

There is one UOA posted here for the Honda 2.0T that I've been able to find: the factory fill for an Accord posted on 6/7/18. The UOA was from Blackstone so the fuel dilution percentage is meaningless, but it does show 100C viscosity was reduced to 6.28cSt. This 0w-20 viscosity level is consistent with fuel dilution in the 5% range when measured by a a gas chromotography lab.

One UOA doesn't do much to establish a trend, but this is at least not encouraging. And fuel dilution seems to be a Honda thing these days - both the 1.5T and the 2.4DI engines seem to be afflicted. There are bunches of compromises that must be made in the interests of fuel economy, emissions and octane requirement and Honda may be accepting considerable fuel dilution as a reasonable price to pay. Maybe it has no impact on durability, but I'd be reluctant to buy one right now.

Originally Posted by Eddie
I was interested in a possible new Acura RDX vehicle. My research however; seemed to demonstrate that HONDA turbo DI engines are known to develop considerable fuel dilution, especially in cold cold weather. The few UOAs that I have seen have not shown excessive wear even with fairly high fuel in the oil. BLACKSTONE LABS put the red flag up when fuel dilution exceeds 2.0%. Do other oil testing labs put a flag up at some fuel dilution level? I do hope HONDA has corrected this issue for the need 2.0 DI turbo in the RDX. Ed

There is no issue. DI engines get some fuel in the oil, doesnt matter the make or model, countless comments in these forums about the so called "issue" that does not exist.

More so, in the UOA section as a lot of UOA samples that are collect and sent in are done incorrectly.

The correct method is full operating temperature and middle of the oil drain. So ignore comments about fuel on DI engines,

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by Eddie

There is no issue. DI engines get some fuel in the oil, doesnt matter the make or model, countless comments in these forums about the so called "issue" that does not exist.

More so, in the UOA section as a lot of UOA samples that are collect and sent in are done incorrectly.

The correct method is full operating temperature and middle of the oil drain. So ignore comments about fuel on DI engines,

So, in other words: 1) ignore UOA results entirely, 2) ignore Honda TGDI owners that observe large increases in sump level and 3) ignore Honda's stop sale order in China for this very reason.

Agree that some fuel dilution in DI engines is more or less inevitable and perhaps of no consequence. But Honda seems to have taken this to a new level. If you look at UOAs here for Honda's 1.5T you'll find virtually all have dilution of more than 5% if measured by GC and trashed viscosity. This is not normal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back