Mobil1 0W-20 AFE, 8634 miles, 2011 Honda CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first post here. I thought I would share the UOA for my beloved 2011 Honda CR-V SE fwd. I bought it new in late 2010 and so far it has been extremely reliable, rock solid (no squeaks or rattles), and is running well. I do all the oil changes myself at the recomended OCI indicated by the car's maintenance minder. I exclusively have been using Mobil1 0W-20 AFE + OEM Honda oil filter. It has been primary driven in town and plus the occasional weekend trips, thus the relatively low miles (58000). I decided to do its first UOA just to make sure there are no hidden problems with the engine. Looks like most values are close to the average, with the exception of lead, which is a little higher than average at 5ppm. Hoping this is not going to cause any long term problems since I plan on using the car at least a few years longer. Wife wants a Lexus in the future ;-)

20180927_162337.jpg

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Make up oil added- 4.5 quarts over 8600 miles. Is that a typo ?

I'm guessing since this is the OP's first test that the 4.5 qts was the fill after the drain( it's the manuals stated refill quantity) and not make up oil that was added during the course of the OCI.

Originally Posted by Danno
I would be tempted to go with a 5W-30 PP oil change next interval if it was my car. See if it changes that lead number.

I might give that a try. I live in N. California where it rarely gets below freezing in the winter and the summers are regularly >100 degrees F, so I guess a heavier oil won't hurt. Nice not having to worry about voiding warrantees anymore.

Being a noob to UOA's, I thought "make up oil" meant how much did I add to the crankcase when I changed the oil. But yeah, it should be zero. I have never needed to add a drop of oil in between oil changes. Hope it stays that way, since I read excessive oil consumption is a problem with this generation of CR-V due to carbon buildup on the rings.

Looks good. Would need some more UOA to see how lead is trending. I wouldn't be worried, these are very solid engines.

Nothing wrong with that lead number. It's less than 1ppm per 1000 miles. That is excellent.

I don't understand why Blackstone said it was high.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Nothing wrong with that lead number. It's less than 1ppm per 1000 miles. That is excellent.

I don't understand why Blackstone said it was high.

I agree, it's bizarre that they would think that's a high number
21.gif

It could just be some debris or dirt stuck in the bearing and it will work itself free. I would do another UOA around similar mileage with the same oil and see what happens to the number.
That ppm is nothing to worry about unless we see it get worse and worse in the trend.

Also...

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Last edited:
I would be tempted to go with a 5W-30 PP oil change next interval if it was my car. See if it changes that lead number.

That's what I'm thinking.

Blackstone has a habit of basing all recommendations off that sample's specific engine family's universal averages... so when this sample was 400% higher than the average, that is "a little high". If OP's engine was a 350 Chevy, they would likely be commending the excellent shape his engine is in!
smile.gif

Nice report, and welcome to BITOG!

Originally Posted by kontai
Hope it stays that way, since I read excessive oil consumption is a problem with this generation of CR-V due to carbon buildup on the rings.

So if this is the case, then a thicker oil is definitely a poor suggestion.
You need as much circulation through the drainage holes as possible, and the thicker suggestion is the opposite of this.
Just saying...
You have posted an excellent UOA and there is zero reason to change from a formula that is clearly working quite well for your service conditions.

Originally Posted by kontai69

I might give that a try. I live in N. California where it rarely gets below freezing in the winter and the summers are regularly >100 degrees F, so I guess a heavier oil won't hurt. Nice not having to worry about voiding warrantees anymore.

Being a noob to UOA's, I thought "make up oil" meant how much did I add to the crankcase when I changed the oil. But yeah, it should be zero. I have never needed to add a drop of oil in between oil changes. Hope it stays that way, since I read excessive oil consumption is a problem with this generation of CR-V due to carbon buildup on the rings.

The excessive oil consumption is caused by using poor quality fuels, and high rpm/load before engine fully warming up (per Honda). As long as you use top tier fuel and let your engine warm up before romping on the gas, you should be ok.

Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by PimTac
Nothing wrong with that lead number. It's less than 1ppm per 1000 miles. That is excellent. I don't understand why Blackstone said it was high.
I agree, it's bizarre that they would think that's a high number
21.gif

Universal Average for that engine for lead Pb is 1 ppm, and he got 5 ppm. Nothing to really worry too much about. Way above average which like it's been said above, might mean some Pb is leaching out from scratched babbit material in a bearing or two. Using a 5w30 or 0w30 (M1 AFE 0w30 is about the only one with in GF-5 flavor) would work just fine here.
Originally Posted by kontai69
Hope it stays that way, since I read excessive oil consumption is a problem with this generation of CR-V due to carbon buildup on the rings.
Use https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4230933/Re:_Valvoline_Premium_Blue_Res next summer. It's a little thick, so summer only. Eats carbon off ringlands. Use one in 70k or 100k miles or so.

Originally Posted by Imp4

You need as much circulation through the drainage holes as possible, and the thicker suggestion is the opposite of this.
Just saying...
You have posted an excellent UOA and there is zero reason to change from a formula that is clearly working quite well for your service conditions.

Using a different oil with different formulations is what I would look for is another reason I suggested PP. PP may counteract that oil control ring concern.

Just keep using what you have been using. It seems that it has served you well, so no need to change.

I'd be surprised if this engine had tri-metal bearings with lead in them
21.gif
Many marques had long switched to bi-metal at this point.

PP may counteract that oil control ring concern.
What evidence is there that PP does anything more for cleaning ringlands than anything else, except Valvoline Premium Blue Restore (VVBR) of course, which is purposely formulated for just that effect? If anything, the high POE in Redline would get you cleaner ringlands, which is part of the patents and IP the VVBR is known for. .... PP is no better for cleaning ringlands than any other dexos1 Gen2 oil on the market, according to any evidence, which should count in a discussion.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
21.gif
I've wondered that too. Might be the last year for lead in Honda bearings. ... I think, not sure of what all things in the universe use though, that bearings went to aluminum babbit and/or backing en masse at around 2010+, which makes this CRV one of the last lead-copper-tin bearings. And if not aluminum, the stop-start engines went to polyamide imid or similar polymer-aluminum bearings (i.e., Corvette 2014+).
https://www.mahle.com/en/news-and-p...-for-boundary-lubrication-conditions-426
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ings_for_engines_with_start-stop_systems

Originally Posted by Imp4

Just saying...

Using a different oil with different formulations is what I would look for is another reason I suggested PP. PP may counteract that oil control ring concern.

This is one of the many reasons I chose Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 to run in my Accord.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
PP may counteract that oil control ring concern.
What evidence is there that PP does anything more for cleaning ringlands than anything else, except Valvoline Premium Blue Restore (VVBR) of course, which is purposely formulated for just that effect? If anything, the high POE in Redline would get you cleaner ringlands, which is part of the patents and IP the VVBR is known for. .... PP is no better for cleaning ringlands than any other dexos1 Gen2 oil on the market, according to any evidence, which should count in a discussion.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
21.gif
I've wondered that too. Might be the last year for lead in Honda bearings. ... I think, not sure of what all things in the universe use though, that bearings went to aluminum babbit and/or backing en masse at around 2010+, which makes this CRV one of the last lead-copper-tin bearings. And if not aluminum, the stop-start engines went to polyamide imid or similar polymer-aluminum bearings (i.e., Corvette 2014+).
https://www.mahle.com/en/news-and-p...-for-boundary-lubrication-conditions-426
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ings_for_engines_with_start-stop_systems

thumbsup2.gif
on both points. If the engine doesn't have tri-metal bearings and instead aluminum, then the lead isn't a product of wear inside the engine and can be ignored. Similar to seeing it on a Ford Modular, which have bi-metal bearings with no lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back