Honda Generators with HIGH Hours for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I came across a Craigslist ad in Northern California (Mendocino County), selling two Honda Generators. I was shocked at the hours on them.

They had an EU7000is inverter generator with over 9100 hours. This is the current version sold. They also had an older, EU6500is inverter generator with over 6300 hours.

I happened to own the EU6500is with "only" 3900 hours. Mine was bought used, for cheap with high hours after coming out of a local steel factory. Had the replace the rings, adjust the valves, replace the fuel tank and it is as "good" as new. Filled it up with Mobil 1 15W50 (I know dinosaur 10W30 is recommended) and it purrs again.

I will try to find out from the owner how you accumulate 9100 hours on an air cooled generator from the owner. Can anyone top these hours with their generator.

9100 hours? My goodness. That's more than double what I have on my car (4200). I'd assume it's a unit used at a jobsite. Running 8-10 hours a day will add up pretty quickly.

I have an EM7000 with ~105 hours on it.

Originally Posted by webfors
Wow, I can't imagine getting even 1k hours on any of mine.

+1

1st-world problems...

Are you sure those hours are accurate. On a boat if you leave the key in the "on" position the hours will roll up when not running.

I have seen little Kubota diesels run at 1800 rpm for weeks and months... racking up HUGE hour numbers

These are hard to believe, really.

Not hard to believe.

8 hrs a day x 5days a week x 52 weeks = 2080 x 4 1/2 years = 9100+ hours. Happens all the time for a business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by user52165

Not hard to believe. = 9100+ hours. Happens all the time for a business.

How many generators used that hard, have actually make it to 4.5 years???

Nothing "air-cooled, gasoline" that I have ever heard of.

Different animal for sure, I have seen PLENTY of Kenworth T-800's with CAT diesels (Halliburton hydraulic start tractors married to fracking rigs) with over 20,000 hours running just fine. May not be unusual for diesels, tho still alot of hours.

Originally Posted by philipp10
Are you sure those hours are accurate. On a boat if you leave the key in the "on" position the hours will roll up when not running.

What energy source would move a generator's meter if the engine's off?

Originally Posted by Linctex

I spoke with the small engine shop which is mentioned in the ad (over the phone) where all service work for generators was done. The service manager words to me were " I have seen those model Honda generators come in with up to 10,000 hours on them. After that point they are DONE." He then went on to tell me that they recommend 10W30 Honda oil.

I thanked him and ALMOST wanted to say, " I'm from the Show Me State - Show me one still running with 10,000 hours on it and I'll believe it."

Originally Posted by Linctex

Thats a bunch for sure - Id at least leak it down

I've seen plenty of air cooled onan 7000's RV gensets make it to 7-8-9 but few more than 10 without needing a full rebuild I can recall.
The news station guys that run them 24/7 at the transmitters last the longest
The dog grooming guys get about 6-7K out of them

The little kubotas can go well past 40k.

I'm at I think 7500 on my RV genset and the wife has about 6K on her Onan 8000 diesel Im expecting at least 20-30K with regular maintenance.

UD

Originally Posted by eljefino

IDK, but boats with hour meters clock hours with the key in the on position, motor off.

I happened to get an email response from the owner. He says:

1) They accumulate the the high hours running greenhouse fans and a few household hours.

2) He doesn't recall what repairs were done by the servicing small engine shop.

3) He is not sure what kind of motor oil has been mostly used, what ever is recommended.

4) His oil change interval is every 100 hours, or once / week, that is, whenever they are running the fans.

5) Both generators are in good working condition and need nothing for the new owner. (Looking at the photos, they do NOT look beat up, like I would expect - they actually look in better condition than mine).

If anyone has any other questions to forward to him, let me know.

Ive probably got 5000 hours on my HF genny. Still running strong, no oil burning. Its had M1 0W40 since day 1. Its a brushless generator head.

If the hour meter is run off the battery they will do that.

UPDATE:

I thought I would add the comments of a local mobil dog groomer with 3 Honda EU7000is and 2 Honda EU6500is generators to this topic. The kind you see riding on the back tongues of their van and trailers.

That person is phasing out their EU6500is models. The one that "wore out" had well over 10,000 hours on it! The other one, (which is for sale), has over 7,000 hours. Both of their exteriors showed visable signs of distortion, due to being either dropped or backed into.

These units run 6-8 hours/day, for 5 or 6 days a week. When I asked what maintenance schedule was involved, I got the following answer: Oil changes every 4 weeks, air filter every 4 months, fuel filter once/year.
Air filter changes are more frequent now, than in the past, because road dirt was found to be sucking up into the unit (riding on the back tongue), causing engine choking and surging issues. Oil used was whatever 10W30 that was on sale. No synthetic oil involved. Ethanol treatment used if one unit sits over a weekend. One generator of each model sits as a spare unit, if there is any repair downtown involved. So far, they had to replace inverters on each 6500 generators (one of them under warranty).

I had to restrain myself from recommending a 10W30 synthetic like a Mobil 1. Or like the Mobil 1 15W50 that I am using. But, I realized, that would be like preaching to a 100 year old man, what is healthy to eat. Anyway, quite an endorsement for this product.

Originally Posted by jhellwig

If the hour meter is run off the battery they will do that.

Yup. Three words. Ignition on power. These generators are the more expensive kind with electric start so it will have a 12v battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back