NHRA Handicaps the Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article

TL:DR- NHRA is requiring an extra 25 pounds to be carried by the Challenger and allowing 25 pounds to be removed off of the Camaro and Mustang.

I don't know much about racing, but I can only imagine that this will be good advertising for FCA.
lol.gif

At least NHRA has not added all 50 pounds to the Chryslers. Taking the 25 pounds off the Fords and Chevies may take away some ability to ballast their cars. It was that 7.98 that the Challenger ran that tipped the balance. Maybe Chrysler has some performance they haven't shown yet, and the extra 25 pounds just gives them ability to tune the chassis.

HEMI'S FOREVER!

NHRA stacked weight on the Challenger after the US Nationals win, Leah won the US Nationals prior to the weight addition, following getting weight stacked on them the DSR Dodges still qualified 1 & 2 and Leah went on to win back to back even after getting weight stacked on them. Also the first 3 cars in FS/XX went into the 7's (including 1 COPO) this past weekend! (In NHRA competition)

Much like in the 1970's the only thing that will stop the Hemi's is a pencil... (quote stolen from NHRA/Hoover)

Last edited:
Mr Brother ran NHRA Super Stock in the seventies in class we had a 340 small block! We had to race big block chevy 396 because the 350 could not beat us! we handicap then!

Last edited:
the inferior hardleys get breaks as well as they try to control the racing keeping things interesting!!

Originally Posted by benjy
the inferior hardleys get breaks as well as they try to control the racing keeping things interesting!!

An air cooled engine single pin is a different breed, but I wouldn't say inferior. The Harley isn't a throwaway bike like what the yaps make and there are still bikes from the 50s-80s still on the road. Can still get parts.

Originally Posted by HangFire
What? Chevy's not winning any more? Time to change the rules!

Yup. Nailed it. Just like NASCAR.

They can build one heck of a motor and I love the looks of most all the new Chrysler vehicles but the other issues that plague them keeps me from being a fan... too many transmission issues and electrical failures for my taste...

Originally Posted by Mitch Alsup
Instead of making the back markers try harder, the make the leaders slower.
What kind of racing is that?

It's a show, sanitized for your protection. Just like most other sporting events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back