Reading the bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

4WD

$50 site donor 2024
From time to time we read a brand does not carry a certain builder approval and some brands like Amsoil get picked on for being pretty clever at "self certification"

So which OEM approvals do you think this one has?

4255E1CA-0A50-4074-8132-B4D808C0528C.jpeg

The dexos 2 license is definitely officially licensed by GM

I believe the MB approval is actually formal approval in order to actually say "MB-Approval" and here is the MB approved list

Yes, the MB approval wording is correct and it does show up on the official MB list(s). All of them are likely actual approvals or licenses, as required.

Despite dragging Amsoil into it, this is not the same.

When a license number is present and/or the logo displayed on the bottle it's officially licensed for the Dexos spec.

Amsoil doesn't have the logo or list the license number but they were up-front about it when I e-mailed and asked them if they have an official license. They clearly said no that wasn't the case, explained that they didn't want to pay for it but confirmed that it does meet that specification. (Based on their own testing). That e-mail is good enough for me but if folks need to sleep at night then definitely use an off the shelf officially licensed Dexos oil like this one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes, the MB approval wording is correct and it does show up on the official MB list(s). All of them are likely actual approvals or licenses, as required.

Despite dragging Amsoil into it, this is not the same.

The lack of an API donut makes me question that one, but it may just be elsewhere on the label.

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist
The lack of an API donut makes me question that one, but it may just be elsewhere on the label.

You're questioning it being SN? It is SN, it appears on the API list.

The oil I have is PP "Euro L" 5w30 … photo of my actual bottle …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
The oil I have is PP "Euro L" 5w30 … photo of my actual bottle …

Yes, I know. The picture you posted of the PDS "from their website" is not for Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30 however. The link I posted is the correct PDS for what you have and it matches the label.

Originally Posted by MotoTribologist

You're questioning it being SN? It is SN, it appears on the API list.

Yes I questioned it, because that is what the OP asked, from "reading the bottle".

I never said it didn't have it; just that the lack of the API donut would make me check into it. As you already have and have confirmed its license, it seems to be simply something they've omitted from the label.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Which product and grade is the OP referencing?

He has Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30. He posted (and then deleted) a screen shot from a PDS for a different Pennzoil Platinum product.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Which product and grade is the OP referencing?

He has Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W-30. He posted (and then deleted) a screen shot from a PDS for a different Pennzoil Platinum product.

Roger. So potential infactual bashing.

Originally Posted by 4WD
From time to time we read a brand does not carry a certain builder approval and some brands like Amsoil get picked on for being pretty clever at "self certification"

So which OEM approvals do you think this one has?

There's a difference between "meets #X-#XX specification" and "has OEM certification/approval."

Nope, don't think there's any bashing here, just showing how different oil companies show different things. Aside from labeling, when it comes to data sheets, Imperial Oil and Petro-Canada, particularly the latter one, make it very easy to determine whether there is a formal approval or "just" meets/exceeds.

Of course, meeting and exceeding can get some people concerned or confused when it comes to ACEA specs, because the Petro-Canada HDEOs say meets or exceeds ACEA, rather than having a formal approval. You can't have ACEA formal approval, though, so you can never truthfully claim formal approval to something like, say, E7, E9.

Here is an HDEO I had in the shelf … they split it out fairly well

55D717B8-CD8E-45BC-808A-76B5AD5A04AA.jpeg

Yes, they do pretty good at it. Mobil does fairly well on their site, too, particularly in reference to older specs. They do differentiate between something current (CJ-4, CK-4) versus something simply recommended for when it's an obsolete specification, i.e. CF. Petro-Canada has cool little charts.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back