18' Corolla vs 18' Elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a good deal on both.

I know corolla is quite reliable, and I heard the elantra is great as well. Both auto and well equiped. Better deal goes to Hyundai tho.

Corolla is a bit boring to drive with the cvt and 1.8 L.

Im not decided which one to go for.

What are your opinion on both?

Personally, I like the Elantra much better, if not for styling alone. The Corolla will hold resale value better, thus the value aspect would depend a lot on length of ownership.

Hyundai has really stepped up their game in the last year or two when it comes to interior & exterior styling. They used to play a very distant second fiddle (in the looks department) to their sister brand KIA, but lately I've seen really sharp cars coming from the brand.

Reliability wise, Toyota probably gets the nod long term, but I don't think you can really go "wrong" with an Elantra either.

The Elantra GT hatchback is available with a panoramic sunroof.

The Corolla hatch isn't available with any kind of sunroof
mad.gif

Also, in Canada, you're lucky. Because you can get an Elantra GT with a manual transmission and the big panoramic sunroof for only $21k (and that is in Canadian dollars!). In the US, the sunroof is onl;y available with the automatic transmission, and even then only as part of a $6000 package (so the car is $27k in US dollars)

In addition, you can get the GT in orange. That color is not available in the US.

So you should get an Elantra GT GLS manual in orange
08.gif

If I could afford a new car, I'd go up to Canada and buy that orange manual hatchback.

Regardless of what you buy, don't forget to Krown it
smile.gif

Both are great vehicles in terms of reliability. My sister has beat the snot out of 3 Elantras to date. 2 lived long lives, the 3rd one she is still beating up so I'll get back to you on that one. One of them was here in Canada and the other 2 in Dubai in extreme summer heat of 50c on conventional oil changed when she gets around to it.
crazy2.gif

That said the Corolla's seem well built and their CVT is reliable unlike others in the market so if you find it boring I would go with the Elantra. Hyundai definitely stepped up their game from years ago. My Santa Fe is one good example of that and they have gotten better since then. (See Signature) They do have their problems like any other OE though but the Elantra isn't one of them.

Happy Motoring.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Last year I chose Toyota. LE came with all the Toyota Safety Sense stuff and Hyundai model didn't have something similar for safety. Warranty was better on the Hyundai. Price was similar although MSRP was higher on the Toyota. But after rebates and negotiation for it price was not a big difference. About the same.

The salesman was annoying and old school shady salesman crap at the Hyundai dealer. Toyota salesmen treated me like an intelligent human. So yeah, went with Corolla.

Currently 30 miles to work each way, 70% highway, average 41-43mpgs. As for boring...yeah, it's a $15k Corolla. What are you expecting?

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Last year I chose Toyota. LE came with all the Toyota Safety Sense stuff and Hyundai model didn't have something similar for safety. Warranty was better on the Hyundai. Price was similar although MSRP was higher on the Toyota. But after rebates and negotiation for it price was not a big difference. About the same.

The salesman was annoying and old school shady salesman crap at the Hyundai dealer. Toyota salesmen treated me like an intelligent human. So yeah, went with Corolla.

Currently 30 miles to work each way, 70% highway, average 41-43mpgs. As for boring...yeah, it's a $15k Corolla. What are you expecting?

Bit more power and pickup, more responsive transmission, better interior quality, thats what I would expect.

There's a guy on here that has an 04 Corolla with 352k on it. And still going strong. The interior of the Corolla hatch seems a bit nicer than the sedan. Available with a manual and 168 hp engine.

I would EXPPAND your choices.I want awd so Subaru impreza for just a bit more. Big step up with the 2018 redesign and new platform. I fit in the thing now too ( 6'2" and 245lbs)

I will say the Kia Forte 4 door was the best sorted and refined compact-subcompact Id driven to date ( 2015?) . Did most everything right and many things BETTER than expected.

I'm sure the Focus is a great driver but fall apart cheap. Same on the Golf.

They are both reliable but I prefer the Elantra of those 2. Cross shop the Kia Forte as well.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
There's a guy on here that has an 04 Corolla with 352k on it. And still going strong. The interior of the Corolla hatch seems a bit nicer than the sedan. Available with a manual and 168 hp engine.

Problem is, that's a completely different generation. Even if it was the same engine & trans designation, Toyota could have dropped the ball over the years and be making low-life stuff. And course, it's not the same drivetrain.

It's just like investing: prior performance does not predict future performance.

Working for a rental car company I have personally driven both. I prefer the Elantra. The Corolla s I believe has the normal auto tranny which is really nice for sporty driving. One of the best I've felt. I personally have gotten 51.5 average mpg in the Elantra according to the trip computer over a 60mile drive on normal secondary roads keeping up with traffic and the a/c on the entire time. The fit and finish on the Elantra is very nice and It is one of the best riding, quiet, and comfortable cars I have driven in it's class. The infotainment system on the Elantra is much more responsive and feature filled. I really like the built in Android auto and the built in pandora app. Overall both cars are nice. If you get a Corolla get the one with the traditional auto. Otherwise I prefer the Elantra.

A test drive of both may help you sort it out. I have a tall torso. Every Toyota I have driven in recent years would mean I could not fully see the speedometer or my head would almost be in the ceiling. My Elantra does not have that issue.

Originally Posted by wolf_06

Bit more power and pickup, more responsive transmission, better interior quality, thats what I would expect.

What about a 2019 Corolla hatchback? 2l inline 4, 168hp, MT and i hear the interior finishes are nicer too. I saw one of these and they look pretty neat. You cant avoid the CVT though if you dont take the MT. With that said I do agree the CVT seems to reduce the power in the Corolla. I have no issues with my 07 with 126hp, goes quick enough for me. Not confused for a sports car but alright. Sounds like you are leaning to the Elantra, so why not just go for it? At end of day, each ride has its points.

I was going to say...there's a new Corolla out now, with a 2 litre engine...and I think you guys can finally get it in hatchback as well?

Originally Posted by wolf_06

Then go 2.0L hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back