Using Tc-w3 bad for my car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I use Toluene as an octane booster as I need a minimum of 98 ron (93 aki) in my car and only 95 ron (91 aki) is available. I mix %20 percent of toluene.

For fuel system and upper engine lubrication I add 30ml (1oz) of Quicksilver TC-W3 oil per 18 liters (5 us gallons) of total fuel.

Car has catalytic converters and lambda sensors.

A VOA of the Quicksilver TCW3 is added below taken from another post.

Will any of the additives in the TCW3 oil damage the emissions systems of my car or cause preignition?

Car is a 2015 BMW 120i with N13B16 engine (direct injected, turbocharged)

P.s: I am using the tcw3 oil as MMO is unavailable in my country.

Mercury QuickSilver Premium Plus TC-w3

Additives(PPM):
Molybdenum 1050
Phosphorus 32
Zinc 39
Magnesium 0
Calcium 120

Viscosity@100C - 9.44=SAE 30/7.062=SAE 20

Sulfur - 0
Oxidation 0
Nitration 0
Soot 0

Moly and Zinc are not good for your catalytic converter, Moly can also cause gunk up the rings in some cases but in the really high diluted rates that people usually use, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. This is definitely NOT a "More is better" approach.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Moly and Zinc are not good for your catalytic converter, Moly can also cause gunk up the rings in some cases but in the really high diluted rates that people usually use, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. This is definitely NOT a "More is better" approach.

Thanks for your reply! Do you recommend I should stop using the tcw3 or continue with this ratio?

No as long as you aren't overdosing it like crazy you will be fine, but I just wanted to answer your question in regards to the makeup of this product that could harm your converter and gunk up piston rings if too much is used.

Using the typical dosage members talk about here is perfectly safe.

Last edited:
Any oil in the post combustion stream can be an issue for a CAT. But, saying that, my wife and I drove a 1983 Volovo Turbo (242T) that burned 1 qt of oil per 1,000 miles out to 283,000 miles. It ash capped the CAT at about 210,000 miles and I cut it open and gutted it, welded it back together and drove on to the final mileage when it would no longer pass a smog test.

Your car may have pre and post CAT 02 sensors ... The Volvo mentioned did not. If it does, minimize the oil in the system if possible. If the engine is not consuming any (?), you have some leeway. But you might cut your dose rate in 1/2 to prolong the life of the CAT ...

However, If you do not plan to keep the vehicle more than a few years, don't worry - it'll be the next persons problem. If you plan to keep it, it's on you to do the best you can ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
The octane you state, does the owners manual say "required" or "recommended"?

Owners manuel says recommended but I am running a tune with increased boost.

IIRC the LS1 Forums had a epic thread on adding TCW3 to the gas. It might be worth searching for it and reading up on it.

TCW-III will reduce the octane a little. Other than that, such a low concentration is likely harmless. Most gasoline has a touch of lubricant in it. Are you sure you need a lubricant at all?

I'm sure you already know this, but many people use TCW-III in the gasoline (and diesel) with excellent results. You just don't hear about catalytic converters being clogged or rendered inoperative. Not surprising really, as two stroke engines also use the very same type of catalytic converters with good results.

As for using Toluene, it's quite effective in the right concentrations and under the right conditions. It's possible 20% is too much and could result in rough idle and poor throttle response off idle. Remember, toluene is a very effective octane booster for turbocharged engines. It's performance under high boost pressure far exceeds the calculated octane. I'd try 5 or 10% first.

Last edited:
My car is equipped with a wideband lambda sensor and can trim air fuel ratio if necessary. I definitely do not have rough idle at the moment. I can even say my car idles surprisingly more quietly from its counterparts. I first tried %10 percent but I feel a increase in performance and fuel economy at %20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back