2018 MB C300 M1 0W-40 3,475 Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite Mercedes stating that M1 is their recommended oil, I find it very hard to believe the factory fill was M1 xW-30--especially when compared to the second UOA which I am certain was M1 European 0W-40. Though I understand that TBN is not linear, I am concerned that after only 3,475 miles it is down to 3.1 and this is in an oil that is supposed to last 10K and has all of the long drain European certifications.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

The viscosity is way to thick for the oil to be Mobil 1 0W-40 . Most uoas show M1 0W-40 to be on the light end of a 40 and closer to the high end of a 30.

Factory fill sheared down a bit. 8.3 cSt is low. Should be 9 to 11 there. Only 1,725 miles too.
Werd thought: It actually looks like they put in an xw-20 as FF . BMW does that, but MB engineers are still thickies.

I just noticed Mobil1 0w40 is now low Ca, like the ILSAC oils they make have been for about 5 years !!! (A year ago, an M1 0w40 UOA had almost no Mg & high Ca.) This is good news for those of us with LSPI-phobia, a condition that strikes you when you see images like this of the after effects of LSPI: http://cyoum84abk-flywheel.netdna-s...2016/10/piston-damage-caused-by-LSPI.jpg

As CT8 pointed out, IF that is indeed M1 0w40, because it's a 50-weight there. Odd.

Wait a second, now I'm noticing moly is very, very low in that so-called M1 0w40. Are you sure that's what it is? Doesn't look like it.

Last edited:
Yes, the vis @ 100C looks like XW-50. See if they'll re-run the vis at 100C and at 40C. The TBN drop is not a linear decrease, so will drop faster initially, then stay fairly constant. Would be a good idea to sample on a longer drain also with TBN if you're concerned. Metals look good for normal break-in.

Originally Posted by CT8
The viscosity is way to thick for the oil to be Mobil 1 0W-40 . Most uoas show M1 0W-40 to be on the light end of a 40 and closer to the high end of a 30.
Well, that not withstanding, M1 European 0W-40 is what was removed from the engine. The lab did comment that it was thicker than normal. My concern is not so much with the viscosity as it is with the TBN.

My friend takes his newer ML350 in once a year for oil changes, just like they suggest. Brave.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
I don't think that's M1 0w-40 either. Visc is wrong, moly is wrong.

It should look like Astro's:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...0-4945-mi-mercedes-s600-m275#Post4870770

Or any of the other recent M1 0w-40 UOA's.
Unless the lab completely mixed up the sample with someone else's, it is definitely M1 0W-40. I have not been impressed with M1 in my AMG either and switched to Castrol 0W-40. I installed Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 in the C300 this time.

It is not entirely surprising if the factory fill was a xw30 as I've read that to be the case for non AMG engines.

The viscosity drop may be a result of the turbo.

The 0w40 viscosity and TBN are strange. Hopefully it's a mistake. Who put the 0w40 in?

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
It is not entirely surprising if the factory fill was a xw30 as I've read that to be the case for non AMG engines.

The viscosity drop may be a result of the turbo.

The 0w40 viscosity and TBN are strange. Hopefully it's a mistake. Who put the 0w40 in?
I installed the 0W-40. My AMG requires it and it is approved for the C300, so I am stocking one viscosity for both cars (just not M1...heh).

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I installed the 0W-40

If you still have some, I'd send it in for retesting. And keep some to send to Mobil just in case.

There is some kind of mystery going on. Since you indeed poured M1 0W-40 in, I wonder if you got a bad batch or it was tampered with.

Unless the lab completely mixed up the sample with someone else's, it is definitely M1 0W-40. I have not been impressed with M1 in my AMG either and switched to Castrol 0W-40. I installed Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 in the C300 this time.

Then I would follow up with the lab. The moly level is completely wrong, visc is too high and the rapid TBN depletion all point to this not being an analysis of that oil.

I 2nd getting a VOA of it if you have more. Where did you buy it from?

Last edited:

Then I would follow up with the lab. The moly level is completely wrong, visc is too high and the rapid TBN depletion all point to this not being an analysis of that oil.

I bought it at Walmart, but have none left and will not buy more. My hope is the Pennzoil and Castrol are better oils.

2015_PSD this is from my MB SLK250 M1 0W-40 with the 1.8 Turbo engine which is the generation before your C300. My cSt Viscosity @ 100°C dropped to 9.65 and should be 11.1 to 14.3 so I was anxious to see your results. Yours is 17.4 Seems my Turbo is killing the M1 Viscosity in my car at only 4500 miles.

Since our engines are similar and running the same oil I am posting my results for comparison.
[Linked Image]

I bought it at Walmart, but have none left and will not buy more. My hope is the Pennzoil and Castrol are better oils.

Was the seal intact? This reminds me of the goo in the pan thread, remember that one?

Any approved lubricant should perform similarly and as you may have noted, Astro14 had excellent results with M1 0w-40, as have I. Be interesting to see what the labs says about this, as either you unknowingly weren't running M1 0w-40, or this isn't your sample.

Originally Posted by Stevie
2015_PSD this is from my MB SLK250 M1 0W-40 with the 1.8 Turbo engine which is the generation before your C300. My cSt Viscosity @ 100°C dropped to 9.65 and should be 11.1 to 14.3 so I was anxious to see your results. Yours is 17.4 Seems my Turbo is killing the M1 Viscosity in my car at only 4500 miles.

Since our engines are similar and running the same oil I am posting my results for comparison.
[Linked Image]

Your moly levels are correct, and similar to Astro14's report, showing this to be M1 0w-40. Also note your reduced flashpoint, which points to fuel in the oil and at least part of the reason for your viscosity loss.

Originally Posted by Stevie

[Linked Image]

I saw similar results in my AMG. I am just not impressed with M1 in these engines. I will have to wait and see how the Castrol and Pennzoil fare.

Just noticed, Calcium is WAAAAY off too, by like 1,000ppm.
21.gif
The bottle was sealed, I will ping the lab to see if they made a mistake, but moot point now I suppose, I have lots of Pennzoil and Castrol to go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back