2016 KTM 690 Enduro R Amsoil 10w60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder where the copper is coming from? Next fill will be Red Line 20w50

0002.jpg

I've not had one apart, but it's possible the KTM crankshaft uses roller bearings. Many KTM singles do. If so, the lead is from elsewhere.

Those engines sure like to shear the oil. You might try Mobil 1, 20W-50 V-Twin. It's a robust oil that holds up well in the 690.

Yeeesh - that thing sheared a 60 down to a 30 in 1500 miles. I reckon a 10W-60 would have a good amount of VII polymer loading too so that wouldn't help things.

Did shifting degrade noticeably at all? And what's the oil change interval recommended by the manual?

This is just 1 UOA. You should do additional UOAs and see how the numbers trend.

These engines are indeed hard on oil. There was a guy in FL who posted a similar UOA on his KTM and it practically destroyed the Motul oil he was using.

I wouldnt change anything for now but do some more analyses and see how the numbers move.

Originally Posted by jeff78

Did shifting degrade noticeably at all? And what's the oil change interval recommended by the manual?

Shifting has always been smooth, but after 1200 miles or so I noticed some feedback through the shifter. The manual recommends oil changes annually, every 10,000 km, or after every "sporting use" I don't run oil in my bikes past 2000 mi.

Those look like great bikes.

I haven't ridden in years but would love to still own a bike if I had the room, time and money to afford and ride one.

Off topic, but my buddy and it, back in 85, were the first 2 guys in Ontario to own KTM's. My buddy, who is quite a bit smaller/skinnier than me purchased a 500 2 stroke Moto X and I purchased the 250.
They were around $500 dollars more give or take back then that what you could purchase a Honda, Kawi or Suzuke for but they came loaded with all kinds of goodies like White Power upside down forks, Twin Air filters, you name it.

I miss that bike and regret getting rid of it when I purchased my first house.
frown.gif

Picture (Large).jpg

Picture 010 (Large).jpg

I agree. That's one of the big reasons why I chose a KTM over one of the Japanese bikes. The owners of a lot of a Japanese bikes told me that the suspensions that they come with are pretty basic. The WP suspensions are a lot better kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back