Pure one makes greater effiencey claim than stp Extended life and fram ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both stp extended life and fram ultra list the-very open to interpretation-99% Efficiency @ > 20 microns * ( as per ISO-4548-12)
While pure one claims 99% dirt removal and list this as a micron rating is >5

PRODUCT DETAILS
Part No. PL14610
Warranty Details (30 DAY REPLACEMENT IF DEFECTIVE)

Purolator Oil Filters

Product Features:

Up to 5,000 miles between oil changes
Premium engine protection
Multi-fiber, high-density media
Includes gasket
No metal components for easy recycling (as applicable)
SPECIFICATIONS
Filter Bypass Relief Valve: Yes
Gasket Inside Diameter: 2.255 in
Gasket Outside Diameter: 2.491 in
Height: 3.52 in
Maximum Burst Pressure: 250 PSI
Micron Rating: >5 mc
Relief Valve Opening Pressure: 14-22 PSI
Spin On: Yes
Thread Size: M20X1.5

Last edited:
So much for meeting OEM manufacturer's requirements (as the old Puro language stated). We already know about their "stellar" customer service...
smirk.gif

The PureOne is not 99% at >5u. Got a link to that info?

Call Purolator (contact number on their website) and find out first hand. It's 99% at 20u. Which is the same as saying 99% for all particals >20u. That's how the ISO 4548-12 test spec defines the efficiency ratings (ie, they use the > sign).

The >5u rating is the "nominal" efficiency, which is typically meant to be at 50% efficiency.

I'll pass on the Pure One and STP Extended Life oil filters they are essentially the same filter. Some are now being made in China. Mann+Hummel has a pretty big footprint in China. I will buy the STP Maximum Life when they are on special with oil, at Auto Zone. The STP Maximum Life is a Purolator Boss.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
The PureOne is not 99% at >5u. Got a link to that info?

Call Purolator (contact number on their website) and find out first hand. It's 99% at 20u. Which is the same as saying 99% for all particals >20u. That's how the ISO 4548-12 test spec defines the efficiency ratings (ie, they use the > sign).

The >5u rating is the "nominal" efficiency, which is typically meant to be at 50% efficiency.

I got it off advance Auto s website.
Click on the specification sheet for the Purolator one and it says it there.
Ok nominal micron rating is >5 what's the nominal rating for stp El or fram ultra? And really how does anyone really know what the real truth is. The >2 or >5 is not necessarily saying what people apparently believe it is. I gotta believe some corporate lawyers thought that one out.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

"Micron rating" can also refer to the smallest size particle that it can remove regardless of efficiency.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
The filter ratings get tossed out the window once the filters tear.

Or leak by?
Is that your own song your singing or are you just following along with the in crowd?? LMBO!!
Anyway I don't particularly care for any of the filters I mentioned. Just have been noticing a particular praise and worship theme around here.
Maybe it's time I leave the oil filter forum to the freaks and fanatics that have apparently been roosting here for a while now.

Or leak by?
Is that your own song your singing or are you just following along with the in crowd?? LMBO!!
Anyway I don't particularly care for any of the filters I mentioned. Just have been noticing a particular praise and worship theme around here.
Maybe it's time I leave the oil filter forum to the freaks and fanatics that have apparently been roosting here for a while now.
Originally Posted by MParr
I'll pass on the Pure One and STP Extended Life oil filters they are essentially the same filter. Some are now being made in China. Mann+Hummel has a pretty big footprint in China. I will buy the STP Maximum Life when they are on special with oil, at Auto Zone. The STP Maximum Life is a Purolator Boss.

Oh really. I didn't know that

Originally Posted by Ablebody

Or leak by?
Originally Posted by MParr

Oh really. I didn't know that

Here we go with more troll posts. It didn't take long, you just can't help yourself for some reason.

If I say I have a filter that has 99% efficiency, and then in a different sentence, I also say the filter can filter down to 5 microns, that doesn't necessarily mean that it can filter @ 99% efficiency @ 5 microns.

All it means is that at SOME micron level, it has 99% efficiency, and that at 5 microns, it is capable of at least SOME filtration. For all you know, it's 99% efficient at >100 microns and 1% efficient at 5 microns.

... also, FYI:

"According to Fram's Technical Training Manager Jay Buckley, dirt and foreign material measuring smaller than 10 microns will be small enough to be carried in suspension in the oil and will pass through even tight bearing clearances. Material larger than 20 microns is generally considered too large to pass through tight bearing clearances although with performance engines with main bearing clearances of 0.0030-inch, this is certainly possible. But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/05/29...our-oil-filter/

�Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it's 94 percent efficient.�

Not able to find ratings @ 5 microns so far. Perhaps this would be a question for Jay.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
If I say I have a filter that has 99% efficiency, and then in a different sentence, I also say the filter can filter down to 5 microns, that doesn't necessarily mean that it can filter @ 99% efficiency @ 5 microns.

All it means is that at SOME micron level, it has 99% efficiency, and that at 5 microns, it is capable of at least SOME filtration. For all you know, it's 99% efficient at >100 microns and 1% efficient at 5 microns.

... also, FYI:

"According to Fram's Technical Training Manager Jay Buckley, dirt and foreign material measuring smaller than 10 microns will be small enough to be carried in suspension in the oil and will pass through even tight bearing clearances. Material larger than 20 microns is generally considered too large to pass through tight bearing clearances although with performance engines with main bearing clearances of 0.0030-inch, this is certainly possible. But generally speaking, foreign material in the range between 10 and 20 microns will potentially do the most engine damage over time. So a filter that can efficiently filter within this range would offer distinct advantages and certainly reduce engine wear."

�Fram Ultra Guard filter, it is 99 percent efficient at 20 microns. At 10 microns it's 94 percent efficient.�

Not able to find ratings @ 5 microns so far. Perhaps this would be a question for Jay.

Okay thanks for clarifying that. Yes would be interested to know wits rated at 5 microns

... also, FYI:

I believe Jay said Fram Ultra was 80% @ 5 microns. Can't find the quote but have seen it here before.

Originally Posted by NYSteve

... also, FYI:

I believe Jay said Fram Ultra was 80% @ 5 microns. Can't find the quote but have seen it here before.

Uncle Wilbur is a high-ranking official in the Air Force. He says at Area 51 is housing aliens from a parallel universe. In that universe > is =@.
Seems to me what I just said it's about equal 2 some people's sense of logic. Or should I say that denial is not a river in Egypt.

There is no comparison between a tearolater and a FU. The simple fact they didn't bother to cure the tearing issues after all these years shows they don't care what garbage they flog.

Originally Posted by Trav
There is no comparison between a tearolater and a FU. The simple fact they didn't bother to cure the tearing issues after all these years shows they don't care what garbage they flog.

I missed out on the whole tearing thing. O keep hearing about it bit not seeing anything. Maybe hardly anyone is using them on bitog or something

Originally Posted by kschachn
Here we go with more troll posts. It didn't take long, you just can't help yourself for some reason.

Seems that way. Lots of posts that are anti Fram and other misinformation like the PureOne efficiency being so much better, and that all bypass valves leak, etc.

Reregistration through the back door is my guess.

Originally Posted by Ablebody
I missed out on the whole tearing thing. O keep hearing about it bit not seeing anything. Maybe hardly anyone is using them on bitog or something

Sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back