Nissan VQ V-6 Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the VQ40 in my Frontier. I just turned over 20k miles on the way to work this morning, so I can't say anything about long term reliability. But on the Forums people hit 200k miles with little issue. Plenty of power, smooth, and does well enough for its class for fuel economy. The biggest thing holding it back on the MPG front is probably the 5-speed trans. But on a straight highway run I've seen 23mpg. Not bad for a pretty old motor design.

Originally Posted by pantygnome
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by pantygnome
Had a 2001 i30 (think Infiniti Maxima) with the VQ30 in it. Sold it to a family member, car has about 110K miles on it and the engine is just about as smooth as day 1.

Currently have a 2011 G37 with the VQ37HR....not as quiet or quite as smooth as the VQ30, but a naturally aspirated V6 getting 330HP? They did something right. The variable timing and lift setup is complex but seems to be pretty reliable, especially considering every cylinder has its own stepper motor (which leads to some of the ticking noises its known for). It gets a little vibrat-ey above 5500 RPM or so but if Im pulling that many RPMs Im more concerned with not running into things.

Had a 2001 Frontier with the VG series engine. Completely underpowered, and you mentioned complex....you should see the maze of coolant hoses/tubes on the underside of the intake plenum. But that engine is bulletproof. Sold that truck to family member too, has 84K miles on it and its done things it probably never had any business being asked to do. Only thing done to the engine was timing belt service.

I do not understand why it is problem to get 330hp from naturally aspirated V6?
BMW was pulling 321hp out of 3.2ltr some 23-24 years ago, though it was inline engine, but that is not the point.

The G was Nissan/Infiniti's attempt to go at the 3 series and succeeded at least for a bit. The VQ engines were getting 300 ish HP in 2007. I know its not "ancient" like the BMWs were, but it was good for Nissan at least. Of all the Nissan and Infiniti's Ive owned, the only complaints I ever had were that they felt underpowered.

I admittedly have never owned (or even driven) a BMW mostly because I keep my stuff long enough that I could foresee high owning costs getting to me at some point. Im sure they are great vehicles but nowadays I keep reading how the newer/current Bimmers are more tame/luxury than driving experience oriented like they used to be. Kinda bummed that I missed out on the chance.

Nissan did succeed a bit, but it is not all in engine.
But I agree, VQ engines are IMO tru refreshment in Japanese manufacturers line up.

BMW was pulling 321hp out of 3.2ltr some 23-24 years ago, though it was inline engine, but that is not the point.

Problem is weight. And specific power to weight and power per cc.

That engine would put out a puny 200HP per 2.0L whereas most 2.0 Turbos get at least 250HP Turbo is where its at for sure.. I'll never own another non-turbo.

Originally Posted by Al

Problem is weight. And specific power to weight and power per cc.

That engine would put out a puny 200HP per 2.0L whereas most 2.0 Turbos get at least 250HP Turbo is where its at for sure.. I'll never own another non-turbo.

I know all that, my point there is nothing remarkable with 330hp out of 3.7ltr V6.
Also, just because there is turbo that does not mean maximization of hp. VW lowered in one of its EA888 versions hp to 184 to get better mpg and keep still good torque. Same engine in Audi application develops 272hp. SAAB in 90's had very interesting LPT on 3.0 V6. They kept same hp as in Opel Omega, actually one hp lower (210 compare to 211) but torque was up dramatically and in basement of rpm's.

I know all that, my point there is nothing remarkable with 330hp out of 3.7ltr V6.

Oh. OK
cheers3.gif

It depends on your point of reference. Compared to the Germans? No. Compared to what the other Japanese and North American makes were doing, it was remarkable. Even current naturally aspirated North American and Japanese engines of similar displacement aren't doing that now.

My Audi had less than half the displacement of a the Town Car produced the year before, yet the Audi had at least as much horsepower, despite it not being the Quattro. So, how remarkable something is depends upon the competition.

The VQ-v6 along with VWs VR6 are dear to my heart. Especially the VQ when we leased the Infiniti M37S. Some prefer the Germans but my choice for realiable V6 power is the VQ.

I've had a good bit of experience with various Nissan products.

My first car was a 97 Nissan Hardbody KA24E 4 cylinder manual trans. My dad bought it new. I got it in 2001 with 100k on it. Zero issues in the 143k we had it until I totaled it.

I replaced it with a 04 Frontier 4 cylinder manual trans. It got a new transmission at 21k. Trans functioned fine but started making noise. I know it was my fault. I was 20 and I beat the crap out of that truck. Young and dumb. I traded the truck at 74k with no other issues.

I replaced it with a 12 Frontier with the VQ40 and 6 speed manual. Awesome truck. Probably my favorite truck that I've had. Got rid of it with 23k because of some collision damage.

I bought a dealer demo 13 Titan that had 5k on it. Now with 63k it's been a great truck. I pulled some reasonably heavy weight. Around 7,000 lbs and it was super easy. I also currently have a 95 Hardbody V6 manual trans running well with 235k.

I've also owned a 93 Hardbody 4 cylinder that's still in the family. 215k and running well. Still on original clutch.

My dad bought a brand new Supercharged 01 Frontier in 2001 with the VG33 V6. My sister currently daily drives this truck. 309k. Original engine, and Auto transmission. The transmission has a little delay going into drive if it sits awhile but otherwise functions well especially for the mileage. Great truck that's needed mostly just maintenance. At 70k the extended warranty covered the exhaust manifolds and knock sensor that the dealer replaced.

Mom had an 07 Altima QR25DE 4 cylinder with the CVT trans. Was a great car. Got 150k out of it with 2 repairs. The climate control blower motor relay went out and I replaced 1 ignition coil at 150k. It was totaled a week later :-(.

My parents currently have a 15 Frontier with the VQ40 V6 that I also bought as a dealer demo with 4K on it. That truck is doing well with 50k so far.

All of the above vehicles have gotten the BITOG treatment so I'm sure that has helped them run well over the years.

Overall The Nissans we have had haven't given me any reason not to consider them in the future but there are a lot of nice vehicles out there these days and that's why there is also a Ford in my Driveway.

I'm still rocking my VQ35DE and my brother has my old VQ30DE motor.

Overall great engines. A little oil burning here and there. Minimal work to keep running. But one thing that i dislike is the fuel economy on these. Premium fuel required to get my 18MPG combined, maybe 20-21 on the maxima. Im sure newer ones paired with a CVT or something can put out 25-28 MPG. They make a good noise. For the most part its easy to work on. Rusty cars or the lack of rust prevention nissan put into these cars is the a problem.

VQ series and SR motors some of the best things nissan cam out with. Both made really good power for the time they were released and ran very well

The Nissan VK V8 is a robust smooth engine as well.

The old 5 speed auto in the truck applications is a good transmission too. I'm not so sure about their latest 7 speed unit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back