debris in my engine oil--what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After an oil change about a month ago, I noticed debris on the dipstick whenever I checked the oil on my 2010 Camry with 116k. Thought that the Mobil 1 filter would take care of that but after about 800 miles, decided to change the oil again with regular oil at the Toyota dealer with a Toyota filter. After some 1400 miles on the new oil, there seems to be less debris but it is still noticeable. Gas mileage is definitely down some but not terribly yet. I simply don't know what to do. I probably should have taken it back immediately to the place that created the problem, but I don't trust them anymore and I also didn't want this issue showing up in the carfax history when I need to trade the vehicle. But, am concerned enough now to discuss with Toyota dealer service manager if there is a remedy because I want to keep the car if the debris can be flushed out at any reasonable cost. What to do here? Is there a non extravagant cost way to solve this? Thanks so much in advance for any and all help. I should have posted here right when the problem first appeared but I was so shocked and was also dealing with the death of a family member that it has taken me until now to be able to think clearly about this. I really need help with this. Thanks again.

Please define "debris" for us. Metal, carbon, varnish. Pictures would help. How long have you owned the car. What was the "place" that you felt created the problem. Need more history please..........

Pics and info. How long have you owned it? What is the service history what oil and filter and air filter? Does lose any coolant? I would check the air filter housing and all connections to the throttle body. Make sure a rodent has not eaten a hole in your air filter.

Last edited:
Get a UOA done
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Get a UOA, that might shed some light on what the debris is or isn't from.

Premature in context.

A UOA only looks at particle so small (less than 10 micron) that the plasma is able to fry them into light - - - it would never be able to analyze debris soo large the human eye can see it

What type of debris is important for the discussion. It could determine if it's being produced by the engine or if the engine has been contaminated from the outside. Scenarios like no or bad air filter, missing dipstick or other open access would explain the second type.

Pictures might be useful. Also the history of the car. If you bought used do you know the maintenance history?

Lots of questions but it will help us to nail down the culprit and suggest solutions.

Originally Posted by Trav
Originally Posted by jetmech1
Please define "debris" for us.

^This

^What the Master Mechanics said!

Debris looks like small particles all over the top of the dipstick. Check my oil all the time. Know exactly where it happened. A place I trusted changed it, and after that, I found a bunch of small particles all over the top part of the dipstick. Can't see any in the oil itself. So, it is some type of dust or abrasive--small particles.

I'm pretty positive it was debris added by careless maintenance of a funnel because did not notice it at all ever before oil change in question and noticed it immediately upon returning with car home and checking oil at home. Since then, despite another oil change, small debris particles are still being caught on the top of the dipstick and 2000 miles of driving has not made much difference. Changing the oil at a different place seemed to result in fewer particles but there are still plenty still in there. Don't know how to post a pic. But it looks like just small particles of grit. Am positive engine is not generating them and have had no recent filter changes or other work done to account for them. Pretty sure careless funnel maintenance on one occasion was the culprit.

"Top of the dipstick" is a bit of a puzzle.

Might suggest that either (a) This stuff floats in oil, or (b) the dipstick tube/port itself is contaminated (and possibly the contamination is largely restricted to there.)

(a) Seems incompatible with the description "grit".

IF it were true it might suggest organic/biological debris like, say plant material, maybe from a cloth. These at least will be fairly non-abrasive, unlike "grit"

(b) Seems more likely, You might try cleaning the area with pipe cleaners, being careful to avoid pushing any contaminant down into the sump.

Apart from that, your options seem to be (1) frequent oil changes, and/or (2) take the sump off for examination/cleaning, though that's a pain on many cars.

Visible particles should get stopped by the oil filter, but this won't protect the oil pump, and they might be accompanied by smaller invisible ones.

Maybe when you do your next oil change, flush the dipstick with the used oil you have drained using something like a large syringe or similar.

Originally Posted by Jasper8146
Thought that the Mobil 1 filter would take care of that but after about 800 miles,

Originally Posted by Jasper8146
Debris looks like small particles all over the top of the dipstick. Check my oil all the time. Know exactly where it happened. A place I trusted changed it, and after that, I found a bunch of small particles all over the top part of the dipstick. Can't see any in the oil itself. So, it is some type of dust or abrasive--small particles.

So which is it? Is it in the oil where you thought the mobil 1 oil filter would take care of it, or on the cap of the dipstick and you can't see any in the oil.

Your posts don't make sense.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Maybe when you do your next oil change, flush the dipstick with the used oil you have drained using something like a large syringe or similar.

Seems risky. Might wash them into the sump, but not necessarily out of the drain plug.

One might be able to push a tube down into the dipstick hole, and then push something like a small bottle brush down the tube, so it opens out beyond the tube and can then be drawn upwards. Gives it sort of a one-way action, so its less likely to push debris downward.

One might also apply a vacuum/suction to the dipstick hole.

Originally Posted by dawgn86
get a magnetic oil drain plug

Probably wouldn't hurt, but there's no reason to believe this stuff is ferrous, and some reason to believe it isn't. There's also some reason to believe it isn't in the sump, though the OP is unclear on this point..

If it was ferrous a narrow magnetic pickup tool down the dipstick hole might retreive it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back