Used generator price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son-in-law told me I could have his 10+ year old HONDA 2200 watt inverter gen. It is well used because it was used in several storms for weeks at a time. Still runs good. I want to pay him a fair price for it because I value him as a friend as well as a great son in law. What is a fair price? Ed

You could go onto CL and see what pops up. Then take 5-10% off as everyone prices high on CL 'cuz they know no-one pays asking price.
wink.gif

New is what $1k or so? Gut says it should be under $500. No warrant and some of its life has been used up, and it might need a gasket or something (can you replace it for the price of the gasket?). But I'd search online first to see what they go for.

Originally Posted by Eddie
My son-in-law told me I could have his 10+ year old HONDA 2200 watt inverter gen. It is well used because it was used in several storms for weeks at a time. Still runs good. I want to pay him a fair price for it because I value him as a friend as well as a great son in law. What is a fair price? Ed

I didn't see a 2200 watt model back then, they were all 2KW in model # EU2000i. What specific model number is this one?

If it's an EU2000i and he changed the oil as specified, it would bring about 1/2 new price or $500 and be worth every penny.

Originally Posted by crainholio
Originally Posted by Eddie

I didn't see a 2200 watt model back then, they were all 2KW in model # EU2000i. What specific model number is this one?

If it's an EU2000i and he changed the oil as specified, it would bring about 1/2 new price or $500 and be worth every penny.

EB2200X is an old 2200 watt generator unit.

Mute point now as OP has confirmed it is the ubiquitous EU2000i. An inverter as he mentioned.

Used prices have softened on these since it has been replaced by the EU2200i.

$350 seems fair as an offer. Well used. Lots of low mileage units for sale all the time. Some very low.

Last edited:
It's an obsolete model, replaced by the EU2200i. I saw it here in Hawaii's CL back in May 2018 when I was looking for one, someone asking for $800 which is ridiculous. I would say no more than $350.

Moore's Law has dropped the price of these. A honda is the best but there's a lot more competition and potentially better features/ sine wave control/ "newness" if you buy new. $200.

While not honda they have brand new with warranty briggs and stratton brand for 500$ and generac for 549 (not even really on sale)

I'd say if it looks in mint condition $350 tops.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Moore's Law has dropped the price of these. A honda is the best but there's a lot more competition and potentially better features/ sine wave control/ "newness" if you buy new. $200.

Got a new HF catalog last night and their knockoff is on sale for $500. I suspect you're right--I was thinking $500 but competition has crept up. I'm thinking $250 now, plus/minus a decent amount because it's family.

I decided on $250 and I will do a full maintenance since it probably never was done and I'm sure it has hundreds of full power operating hours. Ed

$400-500.

Those things are bulletproof. Used by contractors daily, with no care/maintenance. They just keep putting gas in them and they keep running.

I have a barely used EU2000i and I doubt it would bring $500, nor would I sell for the price of a new one. I use mine 4-5 times a year, throwing it in a wheel barrow, extension cord and some corded tool to use in the yard/woods, tailgating, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back