New TV bad picture some channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Sony Bravia X800E. While watching football or soccer some channels are crystal clear others are pixelated to the point it is not enjoyable to watch. What is going on is it the feed from that channel. Have problem with FS@ and Fox. Is it the feed from these 2 channels. I miss my plasma that died, may have to pick up a used one since they dont make anymmore........

Originally Posted by raaizin
Just bought a Sony Bravia X800E. While watching football or soccer some channels are crystal clear others are pixelated to the point it is not enjoyable to watch. What is going on is it the feed from that channel. Have problem with FS@ and Fox. Is it the feed from these 2 channels. I miss my plasma that died, may have to pick up a used one since they dont make anymmore........

Have you tried a SIGNAL AMPLIFIER for your antenna? You can do a search for theses on Amazon. I assume your watching with an "over the air" antenna since the problem your describing is a signal problem.

Originally Posted by CKN

Have you tried a SIGNAL AMPLIFIER for your antenna? You can do a search for theses on Amazon. I assume your watching with an "over the air" antenna since the problem your describing is a signal problem.

No I have cable...

You still have your plasma TV? If so, maybe it can be repaired.
Do you have a cable box and what are the cable(s) from the box to your TV?
Please tell me your not using a coax cable from your cable box to your TV.

Originally Posted by CKN

No I have cable...

Who is your provider?

On COMCAST up in NH only on HBO do I have consistently good quality sound and picture. All the other channels are a tossup. I suppose its the
effect of compression on 1000+ stupid channels. The pipe is only so big.

Some local news channels have one of the two stereo audio channel phase inverted. Not good on my wireless headphones.

I know it's self evident, but make sure you are on the HD versions of the channel. Fox news, for example, has both a SD and HD (720) flavor.

Cablevision is the provider, HDMI from box to TV. I never had an issue with the plasma. Granted some channels werent as crisp as others but honestly these 2 channels are not watchable. It is only an issue when watching football or soccer, it seems when there are distant shots , its almost like they are using an electronic zoom vs an optical zoom on my camera. I think I will return it and look for another plasma on craigslist.

Your plasma may have not been as critical to a weak signal. My cable company will not charge for a cable call if the problem is their equipment. You can either call them and they should help you-OR be frustrated as you search for answers (no one will have) on here. It sounds like calling them is a better solution to returning the TV. Just MHO.

BTW- I had the exact same problem when I installed a new wide screen lately. I had an old DLP widescreen that was fine-until it didn't work (17 years old when it quit). I then bought a new Samsung wide screen and had nothing but issues. I called the cable company-and they diagnosed the problem over the lines by sending signals-and then sent a tech out at no-charge.

call the cable company.

Last edited:
There's a smoothing algorithm in the TV's picture menus. Check it out. You may want one setting for (sharper, better) blu-rays and another for cable.

You can also complain to your cable company. It will do NOTHING. But if you cut the cord and tell them they over-compressed it so it looks like trash, that might do something as an aggregate.

There is only so much bandwidth and they waste it on stupid stuff like those shopping and religion networks.

cut the cord, get a steaming service such as sling or (about 10 other ones now)

put up an antenna.. get way better picture with my OTA antenna. I use a tablo with it for DVR.

Originally Posted by eljefino
There's a smoothing algorithm in the TV's picture menus. Check it out. You may want one setting for (sharper, better) blu-rays and another for cable.

You can also complain to your cable company. It will do NOTHING. But if you cut the cord and tell them they over-compressed it so it looks like trash, that might do something as an aggregate.

There is only so much bandwidth and they waste it on stupid stuff like those shopping and religion networks.

That's funny. They (cable company) was more than happy to come out and solve my issue. Your obviously a cable hater. And you don't have cable....do you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN

That's funny. They (cable company) was more than happy to come out and solve my issue. Your obviously a cable hater. And you don't have cable....do you?

They will tell him to check picture on another TV. Since it works fine on another TV, they will blame it on his new TV. Done.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by CKN

They will tell him to check picture on another TV. Since it works fine on another TV, they will blame it on his new TV. Done.

I have 4 TV's-three were fine, the new one didn't work. They did a test and sent someone out to fix the ONE that didn't work.

I guess changing one's own oil and cynicism go hand in hand.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
I have 4 TV's-three were fine, the new one didn't work. They did a test and sent someone out to fix the ONE that didn't work.

I guess changing one's own oil and cynicism go hand in hand.....

Uh, oh... I'm just being realistic based on years of dealing with CSPs. Your personal example is atypical. The OP is welcome to talk to his cable company, but it's most likely going to be a waste of his time.

Its not the TV. Its your connections or that of your provider,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back