California bans sale of obsolete motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I don't see anything specific about how that legislation might affect non-API oils, things like Redline, Royal Purple XPR and HPS, Brad Penn, and so on...

If the summary is accurate, then yes non-API oils will be banned. No wonder the oil industry had NO objections. They just eliminated 10% of their competition, and they used government to do it.

Maybe if the California Democrats keep passing bad laws, the citizens will get fedup and move to Arizona or Texas or Oregon. Then the state will be less-crowded & more enjoyable. It's a dream I have.
50.gif

As the disgruntled Californians move out and the illegals and welfare people move in and the remaining working Californians will vote to increase their taxes to support the welfare and government employees.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Being a life long Californian and beginning to think the majority of Californians native or those flocking to the SF Bay Area or LA Basin to cover all bases are sub human to the point of the government expecting the brilliant Californians of being able to read the nutrition labels on the food they buy or calories on the menus where they get their fast foods yet aren't smart enough to read the manuals for the cars they take out a 7 year loan to buy or the information on the oil containers.

Don't forget to bring your own bags......

As the disgruntled Californians move out and the illegals and welfare people move in and will vote to increase taxes to support the welfare and government employees.
Fixed it for you!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
I don't see anything specific about how that legislation might affect non-API oils, things like Redline, Royal Purple XPR and HPS, Brad Penn, and so on...

If the summary is accurate, then yes non-API oils will be banned. No wonder the oil industry had NO objections. They just eliminated 10% of their competition, and they used government to do it.

Maybe if the California Democrats keep passing bad laws, the citizens will get fedup and move to Arizona or Texas or Oregon. Then the state will be less-crowded & more enjoyable. It's a dream I have.
50.gif

Yep, as I mentioned in another thread:

I guess we'll have to start labeling older Oils like this:

"This is an SJ rated engine oil for use where an SJ/SAE 10W-30 Motor oil is recommended AND is recommended ONLY for automotive engines built prior to 2002. But hey, if you're not sure what oil belongs in your engine, NOW is a good time to read your freakin' OWNERS MANUAL for the correct GRADE and replacement interval."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
As the disgruntled Californians move out and the illegals and welfare people move in and will vote to increase taxes to support the welfare and government employees.
Fixed it for you!
I Thank you !! Still the Working Californians always vote for tax increases on themselves.

Holy politics batman.

Anyways, I sort of like this law after I discover a local mom and pop trying to put API SJ in my dad's car, thinking that no one would notice. Yeah it happens more often than you think.

Regarding to Californians moving out and the illegals and welfare people moving in, that depends on the location. People moving in tends to be high income people driving up real estate prices instead of welfare people (hint: welfare money is insufficient to live here).

As to why people always vote for tax increases: because traffic jam sucks and bad school reduces property value. A few hundred dollars a year beats spending an extra 30 mins a day in traffic, or sending your kids to a private school that "if you are lucky" will accept you for a bargain of $20k a year.

It really is a choice: you either make less money elsewhere and pay less for cost of living, or the opposite. A typical job that pays $70k a year may end up being $120k in some area here, and you tends to not worry about unemployment because you can always find a job, starting 2 weeks after a layoff, for equal or more in salary.

Originally Posted By: RAINEY
I'm not sure how far to read into it. I think the best take away is the more of this information that is out there the more aware the unsuspecting person is before making a purchase that can and will damage their engine. There's some seriously bad stuff out there. I've looked at oils that will ruin an engine in less than 3,000 miles.

Banning a junk product and making it clear to retailers not to stock a product is a good thing. Some of the oils are packaged to look like new quality oil that meets specification. The people on this forum are more passionate about oil and/or seeking valuable information. Not everyone thinks about oil viscosity and the API and the donut. They just know they need to put oil in their engine.

I realize this is an old post, yet I have to question the notion that we have to protect people from their ignorance.

We live in an age where information is LITERALLY at people's fingertips. Very few lack access to the internet and the ability to look up the oil requirements for their vehicle. Even if they don't have the owner's manual, it's not hard for anyone to look up the oil recommendation for a 2003 Mazda Protege5.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=ch...otege5+oil+type

First answer is a very detailed listing, 3.7 quarts of 10w30 SL

It is my belief that one of the reasons people are so helpless these days is some government agency is waiting in the wings to "protect" them.

Just this past weekend, my neighbors were shocked and awed that I replaced my own garage door torsion springs when one broke.

Really?

They said it was scary and you needed special tools. Yes, two 1/2 steel bars you can get for $8 at Menards. Took me 90 minutes to replace the two springs on a two car door, counting the time to drive to Starbucks, Menards and Hardees to get coffee, the springs and tension bars, and breakfast for my son.

The actual work took me about an hour.

But people seem so helpless today.

I say take the warning labels off everything and let natural selection sort things out a bit.

But the last thing we need is more people feeding from the taxpayer teat. Stuff like this creates more of what we don't need, an ignorant populace that takes no responsibility for knowing how to maintain their vehicles.

Yes, I am dredging this old thread up...

Just thought of something: don't many motorcycle oils (notably, Harley Davidson SYN3) have no API grades whatsoever? (For that matter, I'm not sure the MC oil my Burgman or my wife's PC got had it, though it did have the JASO MA label.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back