Clutch Engaging too low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

My hydraulic clutch is engaging too low in the travel (ie, as soon as I lift the pedal).

The odd thing is the clutch pedal feels fine in the sense that there is resistance from the very beginning of the travel.

Just wondering what this could be?
I'd assume this is either master or slave cylinder related?

I've had a similar issue in the past (same car) where there was no resistance in the initial pedal travel and it would engage too low. Turned out the slave cylinder was getting stuck.
I cleaned the slave cylinder and kept using it so I suspect this may be at fault again

Might have air in the system. That would not allow the clutch to disengage as much, and therefore make the engagement point closer to the floor. I'd try changing and bleeding the system well first.

I had the same issue with my 5.0 liter Ford Ranger, which uses a Datsun 280ZX slave cylinder.

Replacing the slave cylinder cost $14 and fixed my problem.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Might have air in the system. That would not allow the clutch to disengage as much, and therefore make the engagement point closer to the floor. I'd try changing and bleeding the system well first.

How do you bleed system here? Via gravity? I know how to bleed brakes and did that for several times in the past...but dunno have a clue how to bleed the clutch...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back