Suggestion: "Likes"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice to have likes on posts. Something that allows us to draw attention to, or acknowledge good information without necessarily clogging up the thread by quoting

not a bad idea, I like it. however there's very bitter and nasty people that are members of this forum and have absolutely no personality.

Bad idea. I see enough pumped up egos here already without making the site a popularity contest.

We just got a board upgrade this summer, still no custom avatars.

When was the last board upgrade before the most recent? You might be waiting a long time. Next board upgrade will probably be BITOG VR.

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
not a bad idea, I like it. however there's very bitter and nasty people that are members of this forum and have absolutely no personality.

954EB88C-8279-41B4-9371-C9AD3E85255D.jpeg

Originally Posted by Oildudeny

"Like"

Originally Posted by maxdustington
When was the last board upgrade before the most recent? You might be waiting a long time. Next board upgrade will probably be BITOG VR.

I'm not sure if I frequent any other website/forum that uses UBB software but it's very possible that 'like', 'thank', etc is already available in UBB and is simply not enabled here.

Related to the forum software, according to wikipedia, v7.5.x was released in 2009. Almost 10 years ago. Not sure about in-between versions but 7.6.2 was just released a week ago. That explains a lot about the previous version of the s/w used here.

I'd rather see members get a week vacation for hitting the "Report" button for no good reason - it happens a lot. I bet the Moderators shake their heads and face palm 80% of the time a "Report" button gets hit.

Couple of comments/suggestions:

1) Only offer a 'like', thumbs-up, or thanks. No 'dislike', no thumbs-down. That way no one is butt-hurt
2) Don't show that a post rec'd this marking. The poster that rec'd it can be notified though so that they know.
3) Don't include the number of thanks, likes, etc under the username (on the left-hand side of posts).

Related to # 3, what about removing, or not displaying, the number of posts people have ? Many times I've seen long-time members with a bazillion posts ridicule a poster - comments like "as if you know anything about fixing 'x' with your low post count" - based on them not having "enough" posts here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back