Is Tiger back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, Tiger is not back. He's done for, except maybe the Seniors Tour in a few years.

He's only 42. Nicklaus won his last Major (86 Masters) at age 46. And others have won majors close to 50. It all comes down to Tiger's physical condition...his back surgery. If that holds up, and his mind stays hungry, he'll win more. Torquing up the back is the issue. Some of Phil Mickelson's best golf occurred from 42-46 when things really clicked for him....and he tamed some of his mental demons.

Tiger the last 2 generations a whipping from 1999-2009. I think he'd like to show the latest generation of young golfers (18-26) that he can still crush them when he wants to. Tiger could win another 4-10 tournaments before it's over. He needs to keep his back from blowing out again. There's only one Tiger. His mental attitude was once his greatest strength...and still can be. Consider this his 2nd "rookie" year.

Tiger did win the Tour Championship today. His tour ranking might jump up to 10th to 15th after this. I wouldn't have expected him to overcome his physical condition. He did. It's one thing to come back from being fat and old. Coming back from 4 back surgeries....that's not the norm. Fred Couples is another guy with back issues...and he kept it manageable by competing at the highest levels through age 48-52. Tom Watson and Greg Norman both nearly won a Major in their early to mid-50's. Tiger has plenty of time. But golfer's tend to peak around age 33 - that's a decade ago.

Last edited:
He is back. He has been close for the last several tournaments, I am not much of a golf fan; I am certainly not knowledgeable about the game.

But i can tell the other golf pros want him back, because he elevates the game; they are making way more $$ than ever.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
He's only 42. Nicklaus won his last Major (86 Masters) at age 46. And others have won majors close to 50....

Tha's not correct. What I meant to say that others have competed right down to late in the last round in their late 40's to early 50's. Age 46 is the oldest so far for a Major win.

Considering Tiger is battling the likes of Spieth, McIlory, Keopka, Dustin Johnson, etc....it's pretty impressive to beat them all at age 42.

I've never seen a crowd react like they did today on Tigers walk on 18. I thought they might storm the green on his last putt. He'll never be what he was 10 years ago, but I don't think he's done yet either.

Originally Posted by 69GTX
He's only 42. Nicklaus won his last Major (86 Masters) at age 46. And others have won majors close to 50. It all comes down to Tiger's physical condition...his back surgery. If that holds up, and his mind stays hungry, he'll win more. Torquing up the back is the issue. Some of Phil Mickelson's best golf occurred from 42-46 when things really clicked for him....and he tamed some of his mental demons.

Tiger the last 2 generations a whipping from 1999-2009. I think he'd like to show the latest generation of young golfers (18-26) that he can still crush them when he wants to. Tiger could win another 4-10 tournaments before it's over. He needs to keep his back from blowing out again. There's only one Tiger. His mental attitude was once his greatest strength...and still can be. Consider this his 2nd "rookie" year.

Tiger did win the Tour Championship today. His tour ranking might jump up to 10th to 15th after this. I wouldn't have expected him to overcome his physical condition. He did. It's one thing to come back from being fat and old. Coming back from 4 back surgeries....that's not the norm. Fred Couples is another guy with back issues...and he kept it manageable by competing at the highest levels through age 48-52. Tom Watson and Greg Norman both nearly won a Major in their early to mid-50's. Tiger has plenty of time. But golfer's tend to peak around age 33 - that's a decade ago.

Great post GTX.

Tiger appears to be back... His putting around the greens has been improving the last several tournaments. His iron play has been very good most of this year. His play off the tee has been bad at the beginning of the year and getting better has the year went on. But his putter let him down a lot this whole year. Now it appears that part of his game is rounding into good form. Confidence in that... Is huge. When he got on a roll in the last couple of tournaments his putter just could not bury the needed birdie putts. That was a killer to him from making a run all the way to the win. Making 4-10 foot par saves and birdies is what helped him when he was at his peak performance level. Plus his ability to scramble from errant tee shots... He made many, many memorable putts to seal a win in big tournaments. Anyone remember his putt in the Masters that hung on the edge for a second before falling in?? Or the long birdie putt he made against Bob May in the PGA championship?? Or Tiger's eagle putt on the 54th hole in the 2008 US Open that was huge in helping getting him in contention for the next round against Rocco Mediate?? Which ultimately led to a final playoff round of 18 holes on that Monday. The list goes on from here.... Tiger putting well is making him a real contender now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gman2304
I've never seen a crowd react like they did today on Tigers walk on 18. I thought they might storm the green on his last putt. He'll never be what he was 10 years ago, but I don't think he's done yet either.

Tiger can easily be what he was 10 yrs ago (2008)...merely human. It was nearly 12-20 yrs ago from 1998-2006 that his game was insane. Probably the best run of golf ever seen. What he did from 1999-2000 was incredible. For sure, that era is gone for good. Tiger's B+ game will win him more tournaments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back