w116 300sd Mercedes Diesel HPR fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 1979 300sd (w116) Mercedes.

There is a gas station that is close to work that sells diesel HPR fuel.

How safe is this fuel to use in my diesel?
https://propelfuels.com/our_fuels

Do I have to worry about changing my rubber hose lines? Will diesel HPR negatively affect my diesel in any way down the line?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Those old Mercedes diesels run on almost anything
19.gif

Also, I love the W116
smile.gif

Almost bought a w116, but even the non-rusty ones still have hidden rust it seems...

Notionally most of your rubber lines have been replaced. Ive run high doses of biodiesel in my w123 cars without issue, but you can and should expect that the hose that attaches the prefilter, and the injector connecting lines will be first to show distress if there are too many things in there that break down the rubber.

If there is growth in the fuel tank, sometimes the solvency of this sort of stuff can cause it to loosen up, but Id kind of want that in a way, if Ive got a biofarm in my tank...

Otherwise, youve got a 617 engine which will run on all sorts of stuff.

Originally Posted by Gito
Own a 1979 300sd (w116) Mercedes.

There is a gas station that is close to work that sells diesel HPR fuel.

How safe is this fuel to use in my diesel?
https://propelfuels.com/our_fuels

Do I have to worry about changing my rubber hose lines? Will diesel HPR negatively affect my diesel in any way down the line?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

HPR is not Biodiesel. It's HVO. If you can find the Neste renewable diesel handbook online it will tell you all about it. I'm on Mobil now otherwise I'd dig it up for you with google.

I run it in both of my common rail diesels. It burns very clean except due to the physical properties I get about 10% less MPGs and power than using regular diesel #2. It's great for modern diesels though because it burns so clean it's easy on the emissions systems.

ULSD softened & ruined some of the lines on my old W123 300D when it was released. Biggest thing with biodiesel is the cleaning effect, and the fact it can go bad when stored & not used for long periods of time (which is the reason I don't use it). Mechanically injected inline IP diesels are some of the toughest diesel injection systems around, they will run on just about anything if you can get them started & keep fuel flowing!

I'm a little confused on how HPR is not biodiesel when it is produced from waste oils & fats-that is the definition of WVO biodiesel in my book. Not sure where in CA you're located, but as long as it stays warm (above 40F) I can't imagine bio causing a problem. What's it cost compared to regular #2?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
I'm a little confused on how HPR is not biodiesel when it is produced from waste oils & fats-that is the definition of WVO biodiesel in my book. Not sure where in CA you're located, but as long as it stays warm (above 40F) I can't imagine bio causing a problem. What's it cost compared to regular #2?

It's not Biodiesel at all. Biodiesel is comprised of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters. HPR is Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil aka renewable diesel.

HVO is made in a similar fashion to how Group III synthetic lubricant is manufactured from petroleum base stocks.

https://www.neste.com/sites/default/files/attachments/neste_renewable_diesel_handbook.pdf

The link above can explain it more thouroghly than I can.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

It's not Biodiesel at all. Biodiesel is comprised of Fatty Acid Methyl Esters. HPR is Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil aka renewable diesel.

HVO is made in a similar fashion to how Group III synthetic lubricant is manufactured from petroleum base stocks.

https://www.neste.com/sites/default/files/attachments/neste_renewable_diesel_handbook.pdf

The link above can explain it more thouroghly than I can.

I wish it was available on the east coast. I would run it in my Cruze diesel all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back