Eschewing computer controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured this would be a fun reply... If you were looking for a non-computer controlled daily driver (so, clearly an older and used model) what would you be looking for? Lots of factors to consider here from availability, reliability, corrosion, cost, safety, etc.

Originally Posted by buck91
I figured this would be a fun reply... If you were looking for a non-computer controlled daily driver (so, clearly an older and used model) what would you be looking for? Lots of factors to consider here from availability, reliability, corrosion, cost, safety, etc.

Assuming average yearly use (mile wise)-and no motor rebuild-there wouldn't be such a thing-you are talking a VERY OLD vehicle to do away with computers altogether.

Last edited:
w123 diesel.
lol.gif

Old MB or VW diesel. The newest that are still mechanically injected. I know the GM 6.2 diesel was mechanically injected until the 1994 6.5, that's a pretty modern truck to not be computer controlled.

I'm another one ready to go back to a carb.

My 1993 Ford Ranger 5.0 is going to get converted to a carb (Street Demon) when I drop in the next engine, a 347 stroker.

I'd vote for my first car, 1986 Toyota Tercel 4x4 wagon. Tough as nails, paint was faded, but no rust in the NV desert. Would hold up fine where I live. Fits a lot of people or a lot of things. Slow as [censored] (1.5L I4 with single barrel carb), but could get through anything, getting decent gas mileage all the way. Had a 6 speed manual transmission with the EL gear only available when the transfer case was in 4x4. Cool car, nothing else like it.

The ultimate would be a ram, Cummins 12 valve, 94-98 truck with the manual transmission. Keep a spare fuel solenoid in a Faraday cage and you can likely survive an EMP blast.

Probably not known in the US, but an early 90's Daihatsu Charade, with the 1 litre, 3 cylinder engine. Carb, points, manual steering, no electric luxuries whatsoever. And still plenty of them on the road here, can't kill 'em. Wouldn't want to crash one though...

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Maybe an older 67ish Mustang. Although I would be extremely tempted to toss the carb setup and put on a Holley EFI or Fast EFI.

I know what you mean.

[Linked Image]

Cold start =
grin.gif

Originally Posted by hpb
Probably not known in the US, but an early 90's Daihatsu Charade, with the 1 litre, 3 cylinder engine. Carb, points, manual steering, no electric luxuries whatsoever. ... ...

We had those here (don't remember when they left 91 or 92 maybe) I am thinking ours were EFI and electronic ignition. We sold them but almost never had to work on one... They should have priced them well under the established brands and they would have sold better.

Oh and since we are dreaming of non-computer controlled daily drivers...

1963 SS409 hardtop. 4 speed, black totally stock...

Probably an IDI diesel. Not sure what. But if I didn't have to drive it out of state, any of them might do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back