Leak/drip left front 13 Ram 4x4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irv

Just doing some vehicle washing today I noticed a black greasy like substance on my garden hose.
Not knowing what it was (different consistency than Krown rust proofing) I noticed a decent size spot on my driveway.

My truck had been parked in that spot all day. I went to where the truck was now parked and sure enough, right under the front control arm area I noticed another small puddle and wiping the driveway again, it was the same greasy like substance.

I did notice what looked like an amber colored drip hanging from the control arm above where the spot was on the driveway.

Could this be brake fluid leaking/dripping from somewhere or possibly gear lube?

My gut tells me brake fluid as it seems to be lifting the driveway sealer and I am not sure gear lube would do that?

Any clues as to where this leak might be coming from? My brake reservoir looks quite full still but I believe the leak just started within a day or 2.

My truck has electric power steering so there is no way it could be power steering fluid.

Thoughts?

Edit: I forgot to add, it is/was getting too dark out to pull the front wheel to have a closer look but will tomorrow in the daylight.

Last edited:
Did you smell the fluid.? ATF, gear lube, oil, anti-freeze and brake fluid all have distinct odors. Some cars use ATF for PS fluid, but at least you'll have an idea of where to start looking.

Gotta climb underneath it.

But it absolutely could be fluid from the power steering. My grandfather's 14' Grand Cherokee has electric power steering and a slow leak. When he bought it earlier this year I had to order the Pentosin fluid for it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Did you smell the fluid.? ATF, gear lube, oil, anti-freeze and brake fluid all have distinct odors. Some cars use ATF for PS fluid, but at least you'll have an idea of where to start looking.

No power steering fluid, DP, due to it being electric power steering.

I did smell the small drip I poked my finger on and I really couldn't smell anything to be honest with you. This made me think it was Krown rust proofing but with it dripping in the exact same spot and not having Krown ever do this to my driveway, it has to be something else?
I laid a white towel under it so I will check the color in the morning if it leaks further overnight?

Originally Posted by Chris142
It has to be a petroleum product not brake fluid.

Why is that Chris? I think, with the sealer I have on my driveway, brake fluid would be the only thing that would lift it? Brake fluid will lift paint off a vehicle as it is nasty stuff. I am not sure a petroleum product would do that as it's a tough sealer.

Last edited:
Back it out of the driveway and you should know before you're in the street if it's brake fluid. The pedal will be long and your reservoir will empty in a few stops.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
Back it out of the driveway and you should know before you're in the street if it's brake fluid. The pedal will be long and your reservoir will empty in a few stops.

You're likely right. I'll have to jockey the truck around tomorrow to get it in front of the garage in order to use the floor jack so hopefully I'll be able to tell right away?

I also live on a fairly quiet street so if it isn't noticeable right away then maybe a drive around the block, with my emergency brake handle in hand, might be in order?

If it is a brake line or a leak from a loose fitting somewhere, this will be the first vehicle I have ever owned that this has happened too. The truck is a 2013 with 71,000 kms on it (44,000 miles) so hopefully it isn't as it won't make me all comfortable inside knowing something like this is happening already.
The truck has been rust proofed since new except one year that I missed intentionally due to a low salt/snow winter.

I'll let you all know what I find.
cheers3.gif

Lets cut to the point

You need to get under your truck and visually inspect to see where it's from

Well, a couple drives and I have nothing?

No further drips overnight, brakes work good, no funny noises and I can't tell from underneath the truck where this leak, if there actually is one, is coming from?

There is a boot on the left side (drivers) electric power steering rack that looks more wet than a lot of areas under there but I seen no rips nor loose clamps.

My only thought, although I have no other signs, is maybe a possible leaking shock? That is likely a stretch but I have nothing else at this point.

I put another white rag/towel under the spot I noticed yesterday so I'll have a coffee and wait a while to see if I get further drips? The 2 drives were fairly brief so maybe things didn't get warm/hot enough? I'll try a longer one later if need be?

The temp this morning is only 7c. 3 out of the 4 TPM's lit on my EVIC but I don't think that has anything to do with my leak. I have seen this before when the temps drop drastically like this.

Last edited:
Well, since I am still getting a slight drip, I decided to pull the wheel off and have a closer look. Like I thought would happen, I couldn't see anything obvious!
mad.gif

I searched, looked around and did notice some areas that made me question if there is in fact some type of fluid/lube inside the Electronic Power Steering? Does anyone conclusively know if there is? 2013 Ram QC 1500 4x4 Hemi.

My brakes look fine and where the line attaches to the caliper, it was dry there. Like I mentioned, the drip comes from the lower control arm right beside my tire or just a few inches away from it.

I thought it was just residual Krown running off but as anyone knows who has used it, it will not peel off driveway sealer or anything else but this leak does do that to my driveway?

Also, since the front diff is quite aways from the leak and it looks dry, I don't think it is gear lube? The one boot near where the leak might be coming from does look a little wet, but I am unsure if there is grease in there or not?

Needless to say, I am getting frustrated with this.

Here some pics from underneath but due to the recent application with Krown rust proofing, they really don't reveal anything.
confused2.gif

The first pic is to show the relation to the tire and how close the drip is to it. The second pic is the boot that looks wetter than some other areas. The rest are just random pics hoping someone sees something?

WP_20180926_14_04_15_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_15_02_25_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_14_48_09_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_14_44_54_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_15_03_02_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_14_44_17_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_14_44_06_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20180926_14_43_09_Pro (2).jpg

Recently got back from my bud's shop, and like we both thought last weekend, after looking at the wet spot on the ground, it is my front left strut that is leaking. My bud said this is real early with only 71,000 kms on the truck but at the same time he said he is not totally surprised.

I am going to drive it until it gets worse or bouncy then replace it with likely a quick strut which comes as a complete pkg with the spring. I could just go with the strut but I would lose any savings in labor getting the spring off the old one then replacing it with the new strut.

Did it squirt all over that steering rack boot?

I'd replace struts in pairs though, as you'll need an alignment and the other side might be on it's way out soon too.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Did it squirt all over that steering rack boot?

I'd replace struts in pairs though, as you'll need an alignment and the other side might be on it's way out soon too.

It is just running down the strut/shock and finding its way to that boot and the A arm.

I'm considering doing both at the same time, but like my bud said, this one is way premature so I may just not?

Last edited:
That's an odd one for a 4th gen Ram for this mileage (~44K miles?) given it's always been in stock form. I'd probably want to replace both front struts given the truck is ~6yrs/old now. I know the front ball joints can take a beating if you go with larger than stock wheels/tires. Not sure if those could be an issue for you too.

Originally Posted by JTK
That's an odd one for a 4th gen Ram for this mileage (~44K miles?) given it's always been in stock form. I'd probably want to replace both front struts given the truck is ~6yrs/old now. I know the front ball joints can take a beating if you go with larger than stock wheels/tires. Not sure if those could be an issue for you too.

Everything is stock on this truck and I have never abused it nor taken it offroad 4x4ing. It is a strange one for sure but I guess a crappy one was installed at the factory unfortunately.

I'll see what my bud says about replacing both when the time comes but I also think it is likely a good idea.

Last edited:
Don't do a quick strut. Replace the struts only even if you have a shop do it as the parts are more than likely inferior to OEM parts. The only thing you need in addition to your basic hand tools is a spring compressor. You can rent one.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
Don't do a quick strut. Replace the struts only even if you have a shop do it as the parts are more than likely inferior to OEM parts. The only thing you need in addition to your basic hand tools is a spring compressor. You can rent one.

I'll more than likely be getting the strut and/or quick strut from Carquest as my bud works there and he says they are quality pieces?

I am still undecided whether to go the quick strut route or just replace the strut only? I guess it will depend on what my bud says who owns the garage where we will be doing the work?

I forget the cost difference but I think it is somewhere around $100-$150 dollar difference between the 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back