Husqvarna trimmer questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for looking and leaving any input!

I am in the market for a new string trimmer/brush cutter. I like the Husky lineup and there are a few dealers in the area. No Echo and I think one Stihl but I am less familiar with their lineups.

I live on a 10 acre plot and have to cut around numerous bushes/hedges and horse paddocks. Lots of tall grass, weeds and brush to keep in check.

A local guy has a 323R for sale at a decent price. Would just require a trimmer head and I could get a lot of work done with it. The bike handles would really help on the long hauls. But that's its limitation, I would need to invest in some sort of pole saw to knock down some taller branches. I may be able to get away with a nice Fiskars unit for less than a 100$ but I could make it work, just not super efficient. The 323 is apparently discontinued now and has the E tech 2 engine.

On the flip side is the 525LK. Would have plenty of power and the ability to run a brush cutter and pole saw. It would cost much more but would provide the flexibility in the long run. The cost of the powerhead is not crazy as apparently Husky Canada has a 10% off for emerg/military. This is the side I am leaning thus far....

lowes has a bunch of gear for 50% off maybe something that would suit you?

Last edited:
Thanks, I had perused various box stores but nothing up here was on sale or fit the bill. I am leaning towards a dealer so I can get their warranty and the one I had dealt with will run and tune the equipment first.

I've had a cheap Husqvarna 125L model I purchased at Lowes years ago. It's very smooth, has excellent throttle response and would idle low and smooth all day if you let it. This was only after I adjusted the mixture screws on the carb though. The only replacement part needed in 10yrs of ownership was a new fuel line grommet assembly (primer line, fuel line and tank grommet are a one piece molded unit).

That's a decent amount of trimming there. I have a "commercial grade" ECHO with the original plug, thing isn't insanely powerful, but does the job. Range is great.

If you're saying you have a large area, heaver brush (10 ac. farm?) think about the FS-91 R trimmer, I've heard the range is good on there, definatley a good step up in power from a lot of the cheaper Husqvarna Home Depot special trimmers, some of the heavier duty Husks are good. I've seen very few, maybe ONE FS-91 come back to the dealership, looking for repair or warranty claim. The reason the guy brought it back is because "it wouldn't start, wanted a new one" thing was flooded and started + ran like a champ after starting it in run at WOT.

Husky = parts availability, lots of dealers/stores as resellers, parts and tools available online too.

Stihl = parts are a bit more $ and no real aftermarket, parts and equipment available only through dealer, but the engine and trimmer itself is all manufactured/assembled in the US.

There's a good used market on Craigslist for stihl trimmers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back