Question on Backlight setting on LED tv's

Status
Not open for further replies.
This reference the new TCL 55" 4K HDR LED tv I bought yesterday.

The backlight setting was at 100% out of the box. So was Contrast but I expected that and duly reduced it to non-torch range (44% at the moment).

So if Backlight is kept high, say north of 75%, does it risk more burn-in or otherwise shorten or compromise the life and performance of the LED panel? I'm used to calibrating the picture using only Brightness, Contrast, Color, Tint, and choosing a color temp (warm, normal, cool). Backlight adds a variable I've yet to figure out how to balance with Brightness and Contrast since it seems to amplify both. I have Backlight at 80% at the moment.

I've set my LED back light to around 40~45% ... anything higher looks too bright to me. Also, the lower the back light setting the less stress on the LEDs.

I tried bringing it down below 70% but seemed to dim the picture more than I like.

Right at this moment I have the Notre Dame vs Wake Forest game (on the OTA antenna input) looking pretty crisp with good clarity and transparency with Backlight 81, Brightness 71, Contrast 44, Color 41. Room lighting matters and this is daytime on an overcast rainy day, fair amount of daylight coming in through several windows.

One thing I wish it had that the old Hitachi had was a Day/Night toggle in settings. You could even set the Hitachi to switch between day/night picture settings at whatever times of day you wanted. This TCL is lightyears better, just thinking out loud.

I've spent the last couple weeks configuring the settings on my Sony 900F. I have found that except for a very dark room, the picture looks best with contrast near 100 percent.

It's important to know that *brightness* doesn't control the brightness of the pure whites, contrast does this. (It's an artifact of history why this is so). Brightness controls the highlights that aren't pure white.

Having contrast near 100% will increase contrast in all areas of the image, too, giving a livelier picture.

Use the backlight setting to control maximum brightness. You'd reduce backlight for a dark room, as needed.

You can google for settings for your tv...

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
One thing I wish it had that the old Hitachi had was a Day/Night toggle in settings.

TCL has several different "Picture Modes", each of which can be custom configured. Why not use one of them to store "daytime" settings and another to store "nighttime" settings?

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

TCL has several different "Picture Modes", each of which can be custom configured. Why not use one of them to store "daytime" settings and another to store "nighttime" settings?

Good idea !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back