Mobil 1 Extended Protection High Mileage Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised at how much varnish had built up in that engine over the 120k test period. It certainly looked like a lot more varnish built up in the M1 tests 120k than the original 120k.

How are the tests done? Are the cars just sat on a loaded rolling road with the cruise control set at highway speeds or are they mimicking real-world driving?

I have no doubt M1 makes some great 20 weight oils but I'd be interested to see what the engine would have looked like with the same oil at 10k OCI's.

Is that an external oil cooler attached to the front of the car? What's with the chains and what looks like another contraption below the rear passenger door?

Personally, I am not really sure what this test accomplishes? I believe most approved syn oils on the market today would show similar results, especially since we don't know the previous history on the oil that was used prior.

Marketing at its best, or does this test actually prove something significant?
21.gif

Honda image-min.png

After looking a while you can see that the M1 actually did some minor cleaning. However it took a (simulated) 120k to do it. Confirms what I already believed... M1 is good oil, and two, cleaning with good oil versus keeping clean with good oil are entirely different things.

I too would like to know what is on the front of the car, it does look like a cooling device of some sort.

Originally Posted by irv
Is that an external oil cooler attached to the front of the car? What's with the chains and what looks like another contraption below the rear passenger door?

The auxiliary cooler is probably for the transmission and is there because there is insufficient air flow while on the dyno. The chains are to keep the car on the dyno and are temporarily clipped to the front when they rolled the car off the dyno for the publicity shot.

I think it's a useful test. It mimics going out and buying a used car, then running it to 237,000 miles with 0w20 Mobil extended performance high mileage oil. Sure, many other oils would achieve that as well. Let them pay for a test.

By the way, shouldn't of this engine blown up due to the watery 5w20 oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I think it's a useful test. It mimics going out and buying a used car, then running it to 237,000 miles with 0w20 Mobil extended performance high mileage oil. Sure, many other oils would achieve that as well. Let them pay for a test.

According to some, but those are outliers.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

Maybe not blown up, but it surely could go at least 537k if they'd just used the darned 10w-30 like Pappy did back in 1983. Being that they stressed the motor with 5w-20 it will probably only last another 100k now no matter what they do.

I love reading about "simulated test." Simulated and the real world are totally different. Too many variables and anomalies. However; I understand that science must have parameters for "controlled studies."

If only our lives were simulated and we could reboot, when things get bad.

^^^ I agree!

The problem I have with tests like this is that they are doing it at an accelerated rate, which means that the engine isn't subjected to as many cold starts as your typical engine would see in 120,000 miles worth of driving. I also bet it never saw freezing cold winter temps either. So in reality this test really doesn't mimick 120,000 miles worth of real world city or highway driving at all. But the average consumer won't think like we do on BITOG.

After carefully looking at before and after photos, I think it had slightly more deposits after. That's likely acceptable to even many people on BITOG, but I would prefer to change the oil soon enough that no increase in deposits occurred. The cam lobes appear to show more wear after, as should be expected since they continually wear away.

The test might show a general idea of how the engine would look after so many miles but there are so many "what if" scenarios to take into account.

If the engine was a GDI or turbo GDI, I would be hesitant to run a 15k oci. Same with a engine that is running under load for long periods of time like towing or hauling in a pickup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back