puncture repair question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a punctured tire repaired at a local place. There was a small nail in the tread. When I picked up the tire I noticed the small rubber repair piece sticking up through the (former) hole, about 1/4" above the tread surface. I was in a hurry, didn't ask them about it. Anyway, should I cut it off to be flush with the surface? Does it matter?

It sounds like it may be a patch plug. They patch the inside with a patch and it has a finger that goes through the hole to seal out water so that the steel belts dont rust.

Many years ago I was a regular at our street races on Saturday nights. I raced lots of times with a rope plug in a tire. Never had one pull out.

Sleep well.
Whether it's a plug/patch(fixed from the inside) or just a standard plug(fixed from the outside), leave it alone. It'll be just fine and will wear flat.

This won't help or add anything, really.

A pal had a car with expensive, wide, low tires...a 2002 BMW in some "maxed out" European trim.

I removed the spare to check the tire pressure and noticed 2 "ropes" sticking out of the tread...completely normal.

Later on he got new tires and I took the 2 usable oldies and the spare to another friend.

That spare had 7 ropes in it! I guess that's why it was the spare. (insert shrugging shoulder emoji here)

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Sleep well.
Whether it's a plug/patch(fixed from the inside) or just a standard plug(fixed from the outside), leave it alone. It'll be just fine and will wear flat.

That brings up another question - I thought the fix-from-the-outside kind of plug was only a temporary fix ? Do you mean the kind where you can get a repair kit at any auto store with some strips of repair stuff and a needle thing you use to punch the stuff through the hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back