Can I use a 10 amp extension cord for...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 12 AMP leaf blower? The cord length is 100 feet. If not, what kind of cord should I get? Thanks.

I would recommend a 12 gauge (15 amps for 100ft) but you could get away with a 14 gauge (13 amps for 100ft).

Especially in Florida temperatures because if it's hot outside you need to factor that into the wire and go up to the next gauge to compensate from what would be ok for room temperature conditions. So a 12 gauge would be best in that situation for your load.

Also always completely unravel the cord when in use because having it wound up can cause it to heat up.
This is another reason a 15 amp would be better because you won't need to unravel it to apply the full 13 amp load like you should with the 14 gauge.

Amazon Basics is pretty cheap most of the time for extension cords, that is where I got my 12 gauge ones.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I'd use it if it worked ok. If it seems like the leaf blower is holding back, or if you have a shorter extension cord that's better just to test it on, and it is louder then I'd get a better cord.

Not saying it's right, but I personally have done quite a bit of welding on regular ole' 50'+ Home Depot extension cords with a welder that asks for 20 amps.

No blown breakers, no melted extension cords, out in the sun in Phoenix summers.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Not saying it's right, but I personally have done quite a bit of welding on regular ole' 50'+ Home Depot extension cords with a welder that asks for 20 amps.

No blown breakers, no melted extension cords, out in the sun in Phoenix summers.

But it's not a continuous draw of that over amperage for like an hour at a time. You typically will weld, stop look, weld etc. This allows the wire time to recover.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by Nick1994

But it's not a continuous draw of that over amperage for like an hour at a time. You typically will weld, stop look, weld etc. This allows the wire time to recover.

I'm pretty impatient
crackmeup2.gif

Yes but it's not ideal. When they rate cords they pick a % of voltage loss that's acceptable and you'll be over that.

The plusses are you're outside so you won't start a fire in your walls, and a leaf blower isn't that sophisticated that a brown out will do it in.

A minus is 100 feet is a lot of feet and electric motors are strained by low voltage.

I actually bring by little inverter generator along when I use my electric weedwhacker, and a 25 foot extension cord. Treat it like a "power pack". The trimmer is one less gas engine that I have to maintain, and the gen gets a little exercise and fresh fuel.

Never seen a cord get damaged ever, and I have used all sorts of high amp tools with many different gauge cords sometimes plugged into each other. I've been told that it can make the motor work harder eg: I've been told to not run an air compressor off an extension cord. But I've done that with no ill effects.

That image is a joke, go to any jobsite and try to find a twist lock. Most people are running their chop/table/skillsaws on thin cheap extension cords and they dim the lights just the same as the thick ones.

Maybe a high draw light would heat the cord up, but power tools are too intermittent.

My WORX leaf blower manual says 14 gauge for 100 ft. Same cord I used with my Craftsman blower. Both are 12 amp. I have used 16 gauge cords of various lengths with both blowers and plugged cords together short term. But long term you will be better off with 14 gauge. My main extension cord not grounded since both blowers do not need the ground wire. Makes it a lighter to lug around, especially on the roof.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Never seen a cord get damaged ever, and I have used all sorts of high amp tools with many different gauge cords sometimes plugged into each other. I've been told that it can make the motor work harder eg: I've been told to not run an air compressor off an extension cord. But I've done that with no ill effects.

That image is a joke, go to any jobsite and try to find a twist lock. Most people are running their chop/table/skillsaws on thin cheap extension cords and they dim the lights just the same as the thick ones.

Maybe a high draw light would heat the cord up, but power tools are too intermittent.

The problem isn't the cord itself overheating, odds are whatever you're trying to run won't be able to draw enough power well before that point. I've had issues running my 15-amp compressor at the end of a long extension cord (motor would just hum until it tripped the breaker, never started), table saw (bogged down and tripped the breaker cutting stuff it had no problem with plugged into the wall), and even my 9-amp chainsaw seemed noticeably weaker at the end of a long, small cord. I now use a couple of 100' 12 gauge cords and even plugged into each other, I have no issues.

And since this is an oil site, I'll note that my compressor starts easier on Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 than it did on China Freight 30 weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back